NFL 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFL 2016

Wasn't that a Paul Ryan thing, rather than a Packers thing?

Comment

NFL 2016

The Pack stood up for teachers against Shifty-Eye Scott Walker, so they certainly have a lot of cred for that.

edit - In case you don't believe me.

Comment

NFL 2016

(channeling Hot Pepsi ...)

What is going on in this strange sport? Eh? Explain yourselves ...

For some reason we get the NFL free-to-air and (sometimes) live on public TV in NZ, so even though I know nothing about it, occasionally I stumble across it and study this alien life form. And I've just watched teams called "Packers" and "Cowboys", of whom I had previously heard, even if I might have put them in the NBA or NHL or UFC. This looked quite exciting (I could tell this by the score numbers being close together), and it came down to a kick with 3 seconds remaining. I put down the remote: "I can spare 3 seconds, let's see if it goes over".

It went over, but bizarrely, it didn't count. Because a guy in uniform had invaded the pitch during the kicker's run-up, calling for a tea-break (possibly, the volume was on low). Now, this would be an awesome addition to rugby's rules, except for the ensuing riots. Does it happen often? Is it a tactic? Did they decide at the last moment to have a time out, or did they just want to cause maximum annoyance to the opposition? And how often does the kicker nail it, and then miss the retake?

Inexplicable sport, but great fun (highlights only).

Comment

NFL 2016

So, the Oakland Raiders have lodged papers for their proposed move to Las Vegas.

Bummer.

Comment

NFL 2016

tee rex wrote: (channeling Hot Pepsi ...)

What is going on in this strange sport? Eh? Explain yourselves ...

For some reason we get the NFL free-to-air and (sometimes) live on public TV in NZ, so even though I know nothing about it, occasionally I stumble across it and study this alien life form. And I've just watched teams called "Packers" and "Cowboys", of whom I had previously heard, even if I might have put them in the NBA or NHL or UFC. This looked quite exciting (I could tell this by the score numbers being close together), and it came down to a kick with 3 seconds remaining. I put down the remote: "I can spare 3 seconds, let's see if it goes over".

It went over, but bizarrely, it didn't count. Because a guy in uniform had invaded the pitch during the kicker's run-up, calling for a tea-break (possibly, the volume was on low). Now, this would be an awesome addition to rugby's rules, except for the ensuing riots. Does it happen often? Is it a tactic? Did they decide at the last moment to have a time out, or did they just want to cause maximum annoyance to the opposition? And how often does the kicker nail it, and then miss the retake?

Inexplicable sport, but great fun (highlights only).
            I didn't see the game, but calling a time out right before the opposing kicker tries a field goal is called "icing" the kicker. There's no evidence that it helps.

Comment

NFL 2016

Gerontophile wrote: So, the Oakland Raiders have lodged papers for their proposed move to Las Vegas.

Bummer.
              It's good for Oakland in the long run, probably. They'll be able to sort out a new park for the A's.

The NFL has jumped the shark.

Because most of their revenue comes from national TV deals and most of the stadium money comes from corporate sales and other rich people, there's not much economic incentive for teams to give a shit about building a deep fanbase in their own community.

Comment

NFL 2016

The A's are going to be the only team left in Oakland soon, with the Warriors moving back over to San Francisco next year.

Comment

NFL 2016

The Falcons look very, very good. I'm enjoying watching them, and find myself quite excited by the idea of a Packers defeat, too. It's not the most important game of the day, of course. But, for a few hours at least, I am an Atlanta fan.

Comment

NFL 2016

The commentators keep mentioning Micah Hyde, which is odd because I'm pretty sure I saw him playing against Oxford in the late 90s, and that's pretty impressive longevity.

Comment

NFL 2016

The "real" Micah Hyde actually played one game for Ware in 2016.

Comment

NFL 2016

The presence of Jimmy Carter celebrating, this weekend of all weekends, reinforces my support for the Falcons.

Comment

NFL 2016

Terry Bradshaw is HUGE!

Comment

NFL 2016

What a bullshit sequence for the Steelers from the 8 inch line.

One of those "go ahead, we really don't feel like getting blown out by the Dirty Birds" sequence of plays.

I'll never cheer for the Falcons. Here's to them getting egg on their face again.

Comment

NFL 2016

It's still not looking great for the Anyone-But-Patriots yet. We suffer week after week...

Comment

NFL 2016

Oh, come on Steelers. The least you can do is try to injure a few of these New Englanders.

Comment

NFL 2016

I'm sure they'll injure their feelings with sick burns on facebook.

Sad that Gronk will be unable to return. Although, I'm sure he's not sad with all of the Super Bowl parties coming up without the annoying factor of actually having to play in the game.

I'm sitting in the same living room where fifteen years ago I saw some rookie who fumbled the ball some castoff coach from the Cleveland Browns for some goofball franchise that lost every Super Bowl by 93 points.

Like I said, no matter how many wins they get, they'll always be getting run over by The Fridge to me.

Comment

NFL 2016

Ahead of Sunday, a little reminder of who to root for.

Comment

NFL 2016

And if that doesn't persuade you, because of some bizarre Red State/Blue State bias, remember who's cheering for Atlanta:

Comment

NFL 2016

Meanwhile, in Franchise Musical Chairs, nobody has the faintest idea what's happening with the Raiders. Sheldon Adelson has suddenly withdrawn $650m of Vegas Stadium Cash, which means they don't look to be moving there. Good, from my point of view, because I kind of like the Raiders at the moment and an association with Sheldon Adelson would not be pretty, even considering the hideous nature of sports team owners worldwide.

But that means the Raiders are sort of up-for-grabs, and San Diego are beginning to pitch to them. We have a lovely, just-vacated, outdated, brutalist stadium for them to play in, and would probably be willing to put a couple of hundred million into gutting and modernising it.

I'm not sure the Raider branding works all that well with SD's image of a chilled out surfer town, but it might play well with our Hispanic population closer to the border, and with our military.

I doubt it would happen, but I quite like the idea at the moment.

Comment

NFL 2016

The Chargers and Raiders should just trade names, logos, colors, and records.

Comment

NFL 2016

This is a good time to post this excellent bit by Drew Magary

http://www.gq.com/story/roger-goodell-nfl-25-dumbest-moments

Comment

NFL 2016

evilC wrote: Ahead of Sunday, a little reminder of who to root for.
                                              Also Brady and Kraft are mad keen on the occupation. Fucking racist scum

Comment

NFL 2016

I plan to ignore it completely.

Comment

NFL 2016

Not us. We've got chicken wings in. It's 'American for A Day' day again.

Comment

NFL 2016

I'm giving it a miss. Off to photograph birds in the snow. If I'm back in time it's Celta Vigo v Real Madrid.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X