It's the Morkel man - Sa vs Eng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played against Cook not so long ago. He was teaching at a school at Reading and playing for Reading CC.

In the midweek league he played for the seconds but only bowled. However, this was still faster than anything Anderson bowled today.

I wouldn't have remembered this except his dad was at the games we played against him.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote:

Stephen Cook looks good so far. What is it with openers called Cook?
      In his case, it's that he's the son of Jimmy Cook.

How did that last SA selection meeting go?

Chair of selectors: We're stuck, we ain't producing the players.
      Selector 1: I suppose there's that batsman...
      Selector 2: Heck, we forgot. Jimmy Cook's son!

What's the deal? Is there a young Van der Bijl or Tayfield they forgot too?

Comment

I've never understood why Cook wasn't selected before. Not that he was a criminal oversight, but he merited at least a shot at the gig.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

In his case, it's that he's the son of Jimmy Cook.
          I only realised this at lunch yesterday when they played an interview with Jimmy. And that was too late for me to change my daft comment.

Comment

I don't have any stats at hand, but from memory I would think that England's record in winning 'dead rubber' tests with a series already won is not very impressive.

Comment

Yet another failure from Hales. Who's the next cab off the rank?

Comment

Buttler (with Compton moving to #2 and Taylor to #3)?

There's an argument (offered by Boycott and others) that they should pick a young 'un and give him 10 games, ie a bit longer than Robson, Lyth or maybe Hales will get. On the other hand, being dropped after five or six gives more chance to return after a spell in county cricket.

Comment

Yet Bairstow is keeping wicket well enough and his batting is really stepping up at test level. It's a big win double that Bayliss might feel disinclined to alter. Not much room for Buttler.

Comment

Fastest England bowler in this match- Ben Stokes.

Comment

I think Buttler and Bairstow are probably both among the top 7 batsmen in England right now.

Comment

Surely the door is open for a revitalized Bell to rejoin the fold.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Fastest England bowler in this match- Ben Stokes.
                          Yesterday, he may have been the fastest but it was the most pointless kind of bowling. Heavy ball half pitchers going through at shoulder height on a very even pitch, thumping into the keeper's gloves. Ball after ball without any chance of anything happening.

Comment

I criticized the decision to use Ali as an opener but I don't think the alternatives have done any better. However, I don't think Ali's bowling has been good enough; thus he seems a bits and pieces player of the type England produced when they were a poor side in the 90s.

Comment

South Africa effectively 254-4 at lunch on Day 4; would expect to set 350 or so on a tough wicket with Bavuma in excellent bowling form.

Anderson has fought back excellently in this innings with 3-21, well supported by Broad and Stokes, but questions must be asked about the 4th bowler, shared between Woakes and Ali, 16-3-54-0. If England lose, the lack of quality in that 4th slot might be the top reason; match figures currently 3 for 249.

Comment

with Bavuma in excellent bowling form
                                All look the same don't they?

I think Woakes has had his chance, he doesn't seem able to transfer his county bowling or batting form.

There's no spin alternative that is better than Ali at the moment - plus I think it's important that there is an Asian representative in the team to counteract all the public schoolboys and African imports. We've got transformation issues of our own.

Comment

Yes, and Ali is a proper class batting act at No8, even if being that low in the order is gonna trim his average down a fair bit.

This pitch is spitting and mewling a fair bit - can't see England batting this one out at all really.

Comment

If Abbott can't bowl, they may have a chance. Neither Morkel or Rabada are going to be able to bowl massive spells, and the spin options aren't amazing. But not many of the England batters are in form.

Comment

That's three ducks in a row for AB. His average since becoming captain is now 9. Amla's firm crashed spectacularly after he became captain.

Comment

And Amla's form is back again.

South Africa need some sort of Mike Brearley figure by the look of it.

Comment

382 for England to win, or more likely a day and an hour to survive. Looking like Abbott will take part as well and with an evening to freshen up it looks like SA will have a 4-prong attack after all. Weather isn't great and with the pitch cracking up you'd have to feel that SA are more likely to get 10 wickets than England are to bat through.

Comment

Etienne wrote: And Amla's form is back again.

South Africa need some sort of Mike Brearley figure by the look of it
                                            As above, Abe's choice would be J.C. of Nazareth (RHB, SLA). Had a decent county career when you could just whistle into a carpenter's workshop and a wily spinner would emerge, also offering useful runs at #8 or #9, very occasional dibbly-dobbly and the ability to transform any mundane tea interval into mass catering worthy of a sold-out Big Bash.

Comment

Hales fails.

Comment

Kept very low but was caught on the crease. You do have to feel a bit for him as like Lyth last season, his confidence is rock bottom. With only 4 overs gone, Compton now has the chance to show that he can open again with Cook.

Abbott is on the field but unlikely to bowl tonight but should do so tomorrow morning.

Comment

nmrfox wrote: 382 for England to win, or more likely a day and an hour to survive. Looking like Abbott will take part as well and with an evening to freshen up it looks like SA will have a 4-prong attack after all. Weather isn't great and with the pitch cracking up you'd have to feel that SA are more likely to get 10 wickets than England are to bat through.
                                                  On the news it was said that Abbot might turn up to bowl gentle spin. His hamstring is said to be gone.

I think it's fair to say that SA has not had very good luck with the bowlers this series.

Comment

It'll be all over today at this rate...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X