• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Ice: NHL 15/16

The most successful Leafs Initiative since 1967

Comment

Wideman gets 20 games for his blindside cross-check on the linesman.

Comment

Off by at least 80 games.

That's if he didn't get 3 years in jail.

Comment

So Hija Del Voorhees is a hawkey player.

All of my knowledge, all of my ability to give dribbling and football skills, all wasted. She hates soccer.

However, she is lucky enough to have great coaches at her home rink (in my hometown,) and she now has a coach named Sergei Starikov.

This Sergei Starikov

This Sergei Starikov:

This Sergei Starikov:

And this Sergei Starikov...with this Hija Del Voorhees:

Comment

I'm quite jealous, especially having spent a weekend on YouTube watching old CCCP videos. Boy, could they play, but Tikhonov was a psychopath.

Biggest intra-provincial trade in NHL history:

Phaneuf, Frattin, Bailey, Rupert and Donaghey from Toronto to Ottawa in exchange for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2nd-rounder in 2017.

Comment

In other news, the Champions Hockey League final is about to start, with Frolunda visiting Karpat in Oulu.

Comment

Frolunda score twice in the first period and hold on for a 2-1 win in Finland.

Comment

When Marty addressed his family in French....my eyes became a Zamboni. Wonderful to hear Doc Emmerich again as MC.

Beautiful tribute last night.

Comment

His reign as the Greatest Devil is going to be very, very long.

Comment

God, I hated that Devils team. They were dull as ditchwater to watch/ And even if you somehow managed to get through them, you ended up with one of greatest goalies of all time in front of you stopping puck after puck.

Comment

Lots of people hated us.

But what was beautiful is that we knew people already hated us. Even Spike Lee took a New Jersey book - Clockers - and set it in Brooklyn. We had a movie called New Jersey Drive - filmed in Brooklyn. It was years before the Sopranos...and a team figured out hw to use our inferiority complex and hard-wired aggression to their advantage.

The number raising.

If you have 1 hour...the full ceremony
                        Here.

Comment

I have seen a lot of fights in the 3-4 decades that I have been watching hockey, but I can't remember seeing a fight where I felt like I was really watching a boxer. This just aired on a plays of the moth highlight show on NHL Network and I was stunned. Nurse seemed to learn after getting beat up by Lucic that the move to make is just throw as many hard punches as possible ver quickly: http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/132423

Comment

This is an interesting series. Basically ads for Go-Pro, they do provide a close-up view of the kind of skills top-class players possess. It's worth a look, particularly if your experience of hockey is mainly from TV. Here the Sedin twins show off their stickhandling.

Comment

My two major-championship winning youth soccer teams?

Fraternal twins on my girls team who played everyday and triplets on my boys team who played everyday.

I only taught dribbling.

They were very competitive.

I've never seen the Blackhawks play this bad. There was one power play in the first period when they barely got it out of their zone....and it was their power play.

4-0 Wild so far and there's a lot of time left in the 2nd.

Comment

The Canucks have managed to lose 5–2 for four games in a row, a league record apparently (who the heck keeps stats on this stuff?) Tonight they'll try for a fifth loss against the Avalanche by the same score. I'll be rooting for them.

Comment

From the UK's Elite League but this seems a bit special.

Comment

Indeed it is.

Any hurlers who happened to be there would have appreciated that skill.

Comment

Ed Snider died.

Massive goddamn Randian but he paid for his own arenas, and the Flyers are arguably the gold standard of 1967 expansion franchises in terms of success and building a hockey market out of nothing. It seems crazy now, but the NHL at the time wanted nothing to do with Philly. Snider saw potential and built a great franchise.

Comment

The Broad Street Bullies went against everything I stand for (and I harbour a particular hatred for Clarke breaking Kharlamov's ankle), but everything you say there is spot on.

Comment

Their thuggery hid dedication to some fantastic system hockey. Fred Shero was a visionary - it's ridiculous he didn't make the Hall of Fame until 2013 - and was the first NHL coach to take a lot of influence from the Soviet system of hockey. The Flyers did a lot of what they did due to their ability to stay organized (and Bernie Parent) rather than their formidable ability to beat people up.

And being able to win a Cup in seven years, with at least a half-dozen original Flyers on the roster, is a heck of an achievement.

Comment

On the 26th of January, Bern equalised in the last second of their game at Lausanne. They qualified for the playoffs later on, just, at the detriment of...Lausanne, by the tiniest of margins.

Tuesday they won the playoffs and are Swiss champions after spending most of the season out of the (qualifying) top 8...

Little things...

Comment

Never say that Flyers fans don't take tradition seriously

Comment

Moonlight shadow will know that Bern fired former NHL coach Guy Boucher when they were struggling earlier this season.

Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL did something similar with Mike Keenan, and just won the Gagarin Cup over CSKA.

Comment

I'm actually scared for the Flyers game tonight. I mean, lock 20,000 ISIS soliders into a building for the ISIS soccer team against 1970 Brasil and give them free projectiles and that's pretty much what Flyers-Caps 2016 is.

Every once in a while, I toy with the idea of going to Philly to cheer for another team (as I have jerseys from Nashville, Montreal, Detroit, etc.)

The only good thing about the wristbands is that watching them raining down rained down on my head what a stupid idea that would be to my existence on Planet Earth.

I'm very psyched for Isles-Panthers. It's one of my favorite series over the past few years.

Comment

It's a great series.

It's also great to see Eastern teams be decent. It's been a while.

The NHL somehow only suspended Bellemare for one game. If the Flyers win tonight, there is no way that I would allow him to travel to DC, let alone play him.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X