4 Revolutions Per Minute : Speedway 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry - the debacle at Rye House wasn't even the low point of the weekend, that would have been the 21 point margin Peterborough put on us the previous night. Plymouth were completely outgated, contriving numerous ways to be excluded and lost 13 heats. The nadir came in heat 14 when our reserve, Sam Chapman, who has scored one point all season and wouldn't have ridden the race except for the practice got taken out by our other rider and fractured his wrist. In the rerun his replacement gated so early he took the tapes with him. It was that kind of night.

It seems we took this gating form to your track, however the return leg at Peterborough saw us get a losing bonus point and things look bright again.

I'll miss the return this week against your boys, shame as I enjoy watching Eddie Kennett at the SBA.

Comment

That Tai crash was crazy!

I went to Coventry-Poole and was rewarded by the stinkiest performance by Hans Andersen I've ever seen. It made me so very very angry, so I guess some of my passion is returning

Bit of a break for me now - was going to the under-21s at Coventry tonight but have a visit from an old friend instead - until Belle Vue come to Brandon on April 24.

Surely we HAVE to have an OTF Speedway meet this summer?

Comment

Yes we should and you should certainly track down Fast Track WSC Legend Big Boobs & Fire! at Brandon tonight.

Comment

Aww, I'm not going now!

Is he a regular? Where are you, BB&F!?!?

Comment

I'm trying to tempt him over to this thread, anyone capable of work like this and has an interest in speedway is essential.

Comment

That's first class work.

Comment

I also meant to add that apart from the shocking stuff from Plymouth last week, the racing from Robert Lambert was a real treat.

Could he be a potential world champion, he's certainly one to watch for the future.

Comment

I got incredibly angry on Friday when Coventry lost at home to Poole. They went to Poole last night...and won. And I wasn't there. Still angry.

Comment

Just a reminder that the Grand Prix season kicks off on Saturday evening in front of a 50,000+ crowd in Warsaw and on Eurosport2 ;

While Sky's coverage of the Elite League continues on Monday ;

Comment

I hope nobody else wasted any time on Saturday night's farcical excuse for a Speedway Grand Prix.

Having avoided any news of it and social media completely while out on Saturday night I settled down to watch it "as live" at 1am. Still, at least I didn't stay in to watch it.

Comment

My joke hashtag - #NotARealSport - seems to be be self-fulfilling

Another away win for the mighty Bees last night - and I missed it again! At this rate, I'm planning to miss ALL their away meetings...

Comment

Not really the correct thread , but does cycle speedway still exist in an organised form?

Comment

At a very low level yes. Indy is the guy for more info though, he and I were planning to take in a meeting in between the Coventry/Leicester double-headers last year but time got away from us and we ended up in a Harvester.

The BBC website did a piece on Cycle Speedway's history yesterday actually which led me to dig out East London's fixtures in the hope of getting to one this season.

Comment

It was that article that prompted the question. A couple of friends used to ride for Uxbridge Pirates in the 70's and I found a reasonable website detailing clubs from that era.

Comment

Here's the link
                                http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/

Comment

It's doing well at the moment, I believe. It, like a lot of minority sports, goes through ups and downs, and it's in a bit of an up.

You can fixtures and stuff at www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclespeedway, but here's a list of currently-operating tracks:

* Astley and Tyldesley Miners' Welfare (Tyldesley, Gtr Manchester)
                                  * Birmingham
                                  * Bretford (Warwickshire)
                                  * Bury
                                  * Coventry
                                  * East London (Canning Town, London)
                                  * East Park (Wolverhampton)
                                  * Edinburgh
                                  * Exeter
                                  * Great Blakenham (Ipswich)
                                  * Heckmondwike (West Yorkshire)
                                  * Hethersett (Norwich)
                                  * Horspath (Oxford)
                                  * Hull
                                  * Ipswich
                                  * Kesgrave (Ipswich)
                                  * Leicester
                                  * Newport
                                  * Northumbria (Cramlington, Newcastle)
                                  * Norwich
                                  * Poole
                                  * Sheffield
                                  * Southampton
                                  * Stockport
                                  * Swindon
                                  * Underwood (Newport)
                                  * Wednesfield (Wolverhampton)

There's also a good site at www.3318news.co.uk

Comment

I think I've just made a last minute decision to go to Ipswich tonight for Rye House Rockets' crucial League Cup pool match against the Witches.

This won't end well.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: I think I've just made a last minute decision to go to Ipswich tonight for Rye House Rockets' crucial League Cup pool match against the Witches.

This won't end well.
                                      And so it came to pass.

Ipswich come to the SBA tomorrow, as long as the weather allows. If Plymouth can finally get their racing together it should enable the Rockets' to progress.

Comment

Yeah, three riders missing was too much for us and the Witches gave us a tonking.

I also witnessed the single worst performance in my (relatively short) speedway-going experience in our guest Alex Edberg. I don't know where we found him but hope he's already on his way back there, total clown shoes.

I'm quite pissed off by it, think I'm starting to care too much. It was really cold in the sticks too and I'm still not quite home. Still thinking of going to Peterborough on Sunday but I may decide once I see what kind of team we can put out.

Comment

I get it too Harry, it may just be a year but I think I'd rather go the speedway over Argyle. I'm sat at home with rain teeming down, no racing tonight and I'm glum.

Guest riders, rider replacement are a real problem for the sport. Teams of 6 against 7 are difficult to explain to outsiders, Elite rides and parent clubs taking precedent add to the bewilderment. A month in with the actual league season yet to start fully and team managers are already having to phone around for one, two or three replacements. Barmy.

Comment

Luckily I was unable to get to Peterborough as my son's rugby tournament ran far later than expected. Looks like it saved me another frustrating meeting of poor returns from guests.

I think I may switch to a policy of solely visiting away tracks when the Rockets aren't the opponents and save myself the agita.

Belle Vue Aces v Kings Lynn Stars on Sky Sports 2 from 7:30pm tonight looks promising.

Comment

I have a mate out here in the States who (when still at school) rode for Exeter Cycle Speedway in the 70's. He became an 'American Gladiator', minor TV star.

Coventry may well pull off a win tonite at Lynn if Kenneth Bjerre'ly bothered and Porsing continue with their current form.

The owner of the New York speedway track(s) is just about ready to jack it all in - unless fans come up with sponsorship money to keep things going. No plans for meetings this season right now. This is a dagger to my heart.

I got the Speedway Star season preview issue in the mail on Monday. A thing of beauty.

Comment

King's Lynn managed to edge out Coventry in the end, though no thanks to Bierre and Porsing who contributed 6 points between them (and 5 of those were Porsing's!).

Off to a Rockets/Raiders double-header (against Somerset and Eastbourne respectively) at Rye House on Bank Holiday Monday and taking a couple of my children, one of whom will be making their first visit to the home of speedway.

Comment

The wheels have slightly come off the Coventry bandwagon - losing by 8 is the most frustrating loss of all. But that was with Hans Andersen being shit, Stuart Robson stopping after 3 laps in one race because he thought the race had ended, Joonas Kylmakorpi having an EF on a tactical, the ref keeping Iversen in a race he went onto win when he should have been excluded, and no James Sarjeant. Still top, too.

The Bees are at Lakeside tonight but I won't be. I hate it there, it's awful.

We're at home to Lakeside on Monday, which my season ticket will drag me along to.

In three weeks it's Rye House versus Coventry in the National League - fancy a two-hander, Harry?

Comment

Not impossible, did you mean the Rye House or the Coventry leg, or both?

That's a bank holiday weekend so my family might be camping and that's often when I take the chance to hit as many tracks as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X