4 Revolutions Per Minute : Speedway 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope indy doesn't mind me starting the thread for next season but it seemed an apposite time to do so with the SGP schedule released. It includes an ambitious opener at Warsaw's 58,000 capacity national stadium.

2015 FIM Speedway Grand Prix calendar:

18 April , Lotto Warsaw FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Poland, Warsaw, Poland

16 May, Finnish FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Tampere, Finland

23 May, Czech Republic FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Prague, Czech Republic

04 July, British FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Cardiff, Great Britain

18 July, Latvian FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Daugavpils, Latvia

25 July, Swedish FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Malilla, Sweden

08 August, Kjærgaard Danish FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Horsens, Denmark

29 August, Gorzow FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Poland, Gorzow, Poland

12 September, Slovenian FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Krsko, Slovenia

26 September, TEGERA®Stockholm FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Stockholm, Sweden

03 October, Torun FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Torun, Poland

24 October, Australian FIM Speedway Grand Prix, Melbourne, Australia

We've also had the BSPA AGM which I picked up a little info on over the weekend but perhaps indy can give us his take on it?

Okay, they had the AGM at the weekend and they decided stuff.

* The Fast Track Draft stays in the Elite League, and will be enhanced by the addition of other young(ish) Brits like Auty, Birks, and Roynon. There will two pools of talent, with 8 from each having team places, and the rest available to guest.

* There will only be one double-points ride instead of two.

* The yellow helmet colour will revert to yellow & black.

* Guests will be available for all riders missing for official fixtures overseas.

* ALL home wins bring 3 points. All other scoring stays unchanged.

* 2015 AGM will take place in early October, to allow earlier team building.

* Teams in EL will ride against each other four times (2 home, 2 away). PL teams race one home, one away against each team.

* The points limit is 34 (for the top 5 only) in the EL, and 42.5 in the PL.

* Neil Vatcher is in sole charge of British under-21 and youth speedway, after Phil Morris resigned.

2014 ELITE LEAGUE
    Belle Vue
    Coventry
    King's Lynn
    Lakeside
    Leicester
    Poole
    Swindon
    Wolverhampton

2014 PREMIER LEAGUE
    Berwick
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Ipswich
    Newcastle
    Peterborough*
    Plymouth
    Redcar
    Rye House
    Scunthorpe
    Sheffield
    Somerset
    Workington

2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE
    Confirmed Starters: Birmingham, Cradley Heath, Eastbourne, Lakeside, Rye House
    Expected Starters: Buxton, Coventry, Kent, King's Lynn, Mildenhall, Stoke
    Possible Starters: Devon, Newcastle/Redcar

[great title, Harry!]

Comment

Huge relief that Plymouth will be riding Premier League again next year.

Whether the Demons run may well depend on the number of teams in the National League. At present we can only run one meeting a week and are restricted to the number of times we can run double headers on a Saturday.

Now just got to get seven riders sorted... well Roland Benko is definitely back at reserve and Kyle Newman has agreed in principle. Sam Simota is also rumoured to be keen for a return too.

In fact, we may just need a new number one and a.n. other, as James Wright and Pepe Franc may be back in the fold too.

Any ideas who may be available for the top spot?

Comment

Rye House have already declared their seven for 2015, while most other sides have not yet begun. No surprise that Eddie Kennett is back at number one.

Comment

I'll be prepared to wager they don't actually start with that seven. Tyson Nelson needs to get a visa and I have a nagging doubt about Garrity being on board.

I get the feeling Uncle Len is trying to get some positive news out early (along with the track improvements be announced last week) to try and keep people interested after a dreadful 2014 season.

I'd be interested to hear what indy thinks of Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen, his name rings a bell but I can't recall seeing him ride.

Comment

Birmingham Brummies and Cradley Heathens are to groundshare at Perry Barr next season. The Heathens have been told they can no longer use Monmore Green and have yet to find suitable land in either Sandwell or Dudley to build their own home stadium. Hopefully one day.

Comment

Scunthorpe have re-signed Ryan Douglas, while Ipswich have got Danny King in as their new number 1.

The pools for the Fast Track Draft have been released(ish)...

GROUP ONE: Lewis Blackbird, Lewis Kerr (King's Lynn), Jason Garrity (Coventry), Kyle Newman (Poole), Steve Worrall (Belle Vue, Swindon), Charles Wright, Ashley Birks, Adam Roynon (Coventry), Steve Boxall, Josh Auty.

GROUP TWO: (including) Adam Ellis (Lakeside), Stefan Nielsen (Coventry, Belle Vue), Paul Starke, Ashley Morris (Wolves), Joe Jacobs (Coventry, Wolves), Josh Bates, Oliver Greenwood (Coventry), Lewis Rose (King's Lynn), Tom Perry (Wolves), James Sarjeant (Coventry), Simon Lambert (King's Lynn), Ben Morley (Lakeside), Dan Halsey, Max Clegg (Leicester), Nathan Greaves (Swindon), Liam Carr, Lee Payne (Belle Vue), Darren Mallett (King's Lynn), Benji Compton (Poole), Brendan Johnson (Poole), Dan Greenwood (Coventry), Matt Williamson.

GUEST POOL: Two riders not selected in round one, Ritchie Hawkins, James Wright, Chris Mills, Simon Nielsen, Carl Wilkinson.

Clubs in (brackets) are the ones that can protect those riders as picks in the draft - only one pick per club.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: I'll be prepared to wager they don't actually start with that seven. Tyson Nelson needs to get a visa and I have a nagging doubt about Garrity being on board.

I get the feeling Uncle Len is trying to get some positive news out early (along with the track improvements be announced last week) to try and keep people interested after a dreadful 2014 season.

I'd be interested to hear what indy thinks of Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen, his name rings a bell but I can't recall seeing him ride.
                I'm similarly doubtful over Nelson getting a visa. NBJ is related to Coventry "legend" Alf Busk, and so I've kept an eye on his progress. Ehh, he's alright. Doubt he'll make his 7.00 assessed average, though.

Comment

This week's Speedway Star has highlighted something from the AGM I'd previously been unaware of, the moves to end the better Elite League riders doubling up with Premier League clubs.

As I read it, any EL rider with an average exceeding 6.00 cannot now also ride for a PL club, though those with an existing deal have a two year dispensation to continue.

It's been done to stop PL clubs crippling themselves paying wages to EL riders so seems sensible.

Comment

Saw the title in the categories page, thought it might have been something to do with Russell Brand's idea of political utopia.

Yeah, I just made that joke. No shame. None.

Comment

No Devon Demons in the National League in 2015. An expensive experiment too far for our promotion.

Comment

Some signings news:

ELITE LEAGUE
                        Swindon: Szymon Wozniak
                        Wolves: Jakob Thorsell

PREMIER LEAGUE
                        Glasgow: Nick Morris, Kozza Smith, Dimitri Berge, James Sarjeant, Victor Palovaara
                        Ipswich: Danny King
                        Newcastle: Lewis Rose
                        Redcar: Jan Graversen
                        Rye House: Eddie Kennett, Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen, Jason Garrity, Tyson Nelson, Steve Boxall, Kasper Lykke, Luke Bowen
                        Scunthorpe: Ryan Douglas, Nike Lunna
                        Sheffield: Ashley Birks
                        Workington: Kenneth Hansen, Mason Campton

NATIONAL LEAGUE
                        Cradley Heath: Michael Neale
                        Eastbourne: Danny Warwick
                        King's Lynn: Tom Stokes
                        Rye House: Luke Bowen

There's rumours of Kyle Howarth signing for Swindon (which would be a kick in the teeth for Coventry fans), Ben Barker moving to Berwick, and Richard Lawson & Aaron Summers riding for Glasgow.

Comment

Would Barker still be able to ride in the EL under the new rules if he signs for Berwick?

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: Would Barker still be able to ride in the EL under the new rules if he signs for Berwick?
                            Yeah, he's in under the Grandfather Clause. Still will only get 2 years before he has to make a choice, though.

Comment

The big news is that 2013 World Champion - and reigning British Champion - Tai Woffinden will not be riding in the UK next season.

There was a draft! The Fast Track Draft Riders - now called Elite Draft Riders (*shrug*) - were chosen at a meeting of the EL promoters on Wednesday.

Update list of signings (this week's new signings in italics, draft riders in bold):

ELITE LEAGUE
                              Belle Vue: Steve Worrall, Stefan Nielsen
                              Coventry: Cameron Woodward, Jason Garrity, James Sarjeant
                              King's Lynn: Lewis Kerr, Joe Jacobs
                              Lakeside: Andreas Jonsson, Mikkel bech, Ashley Birks, Adam Ellis
                              Leicester: Szymon Wozniak, Josh Auty, Simon Lambert
                              Poole: Kyle Newman, Paul Starke
                              Swindon: Charles Wright, Lewis Rose
                              Wolverhamton: Freddie Lindgren, Jakob Thorsell, Lewis Blackbird, Josh Bates

PREMIER LEAGUE
                              Edinburgh: Max Clegg
                              Glasgow: Nick Morris, Kozza Smith, Dimitri Berge, James Sarjeant, Victor Palovaara
                              Ipswich: Danny King, Rohan Tungate, Gino Manzares, Cameron Heeps, Ritchie Hawkins
                              Newcastle: Lewis Rose
                              Redcar: Jan Graversen
                              Rye House: Eddie Kennett, Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen, Jason Garrity, Tyson Nelson, Steve Boxall, Kasper Lykke, Luke Bowen
                              Scunthorpe: David Howe, Alex Davies, Josh Auty, Ryan Douglas, Carl Wilkinson, Nike Lunna, Ellis Perks
                              Sheffield: Simon Stead, David Bellego, Ashley Birks
                              Workington: Kenneth Hansen, Rene Bach, Mason Campton, Nicki Barrett

NATIONAL LEAGUE
                              Coventry: Daryl Ritchings
                              King's Lynn: Tom Stokes, Josh Bailey, Ryan Kinsley
                              Mildenhall: Connor Mountain, Tom Bacon

Comment

I'm a big fan of Tai's but have to say the news he won't be riding in the UK had no effect on me whatsoever. I've seen him ride brilliantly for Wolves, decently to poorly as a guest and to a standard that embarrassed the rest of the field in the British Championship semi-final at Rye House last season but his presence has never been a factor in me buying a ticket to a domestic event whatsoever.

Comment

Peterborough have managed to secure the necessary funding and should be rejoining the PL in 2015.

Statement

Good news all round as what the sport doesn't need is to lose more clubs.

Personally it means two, possibly three extra meetings at the SBA as they'll be in our League Cup group and we're due to meet them in the KO cup too. The only grumble will come from youngest Greenlander who refused to come to a meeting against them complaining that "we're always watching Devils against Panthers" ... and sometimes in 2014 it felt like it.

Comment

I'm torn on Peterborough's survival. On the one hand, yes it's good that the club live to race another day, especially for their fans.

However, it's papering over massive cracks because there's no way that club is sustainable in its current form. Instead of finding a way that it could be they got the begging bowl out.

Comment

Ryan Fisher signs as our number one.

Should I be excited by this news?

Comment

An on-it Ryan Fisher is one of the most exciting riders you can hope to see. He had a bad year in 2014, but hopefully he'll bounce back.

Comment

I know he's been at Plymouth before but the concensus is that he has unfinished business with down here.

Given his low average we still have some significant points to play with.

Comment

This week's signings news (new signings in bold):

ELITE LEAGUE
                                            Belle Vue: Matej Zagar, Scott Nicholls, Steve Worrall, Stefan Nielsen
                                            Coventry: Hans Andersen, Chris Harris, Danny King , Cameron Woodward, Jason Garrity, James Sarjeant
                                            King's Lynn: Lewis Kerr, Joe Jacobs
                                            Lakeside: Andreas Jonsson, Mikkel Bech, Ashley Birks, Adam Ellis
                                            Leicester: Szymon Wozniak, Josh Auty, Simon Lambert
                                            Poole: Kyle Newman, Paul Starke
                                            Swindon: Charles Wright, Lewis Rose
                                            Wolverhamton: Freddie Lindgren, Jakob Thorsell, Tobias Musielak, Lewis Blackbird, Josh Bates

PREMIER LEAGUE
                                            Berwick: Ben Barker, Thomas Jorgensen, Jake Allen
                                            Edinburgh: Justin Sedgmen, Kevin Wolbert, Max Clegg
                                            Ipswich: Danny King, Rohan Tungate, Gino Manzares, Cameron Heeps, Ritchie Hawkins
                                            Newcastle: Lewis Kerr, Lewis Rose
                                            Peterborough: Ulrich Ostergaard
                                            Plymouth: Ryan Fisher, Kyle Newman, Roland Benko
                                            Redcar: Lasse Bjerre, Stuart Robson, Hugh Skidmore, Jan Graversen
                                            Scunthorpe: David Howe, Alex Davies, Josh Auty, Ryan Douglas, Carl Wilkinson, Nike Lunna, Ellis Perks
                                            Sheffield: Simon Stead, David Bellego, Ashley Birks, Arthur Sissis, Josh Bates
                                            Workington: Kenneth Hansen, Rene Bach, Kyle Howarth, Ricky Wells, Michael Palm Toft, Mason Campton, Nicki Barrett

NATIONAL LEAGUE
                                            Coventry: Daryl Ritchings
                                            Kent: Ben Morley, Aaron Baseby, Danny Ayres, James Shanes
                                            King's Lynn: Tom Stokes, Josh Bailey, Ryan Kinsley
                                            Mildenhall: Jack Kingston, Connor Mountain, Tom Bacon

Comment

I presume nobody's even attempting a "Christmas Cracker" meeting this year?

Comment

Are there any speedway fixtures this Christmas?

Anything?

Comment

Nothing announced, so probably not. First time for a few years that. Scunthorpe are running their amateur series throughout the winter - might be worth checking out if you're anywhere near north Lincolnshire.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X