Ryder Cup 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryder Cup 2008

No, I think it makes things much more interesting to have the controversy.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I'm getting just a bit fed up with the likes of Simon Barnes rounding on the potential for jingoism at the Ryder Cup and insisting that it should be "played in the right spirit", like some Sunday afternoon crown green bowls match. Yes, it's good that golf does not have thousands of fans yelling "you're shit, and you know you are" at each other while players are putting, but come on, this is still a sporting contest, and one of the most fiercely-contested in the world, at that. I for one certainly won't be watching thinking "oh, jolly well played" at every American shot. I want Europe to win, every hole of every match if possible, and if that means cheering after American players miss short putts, so be it.

No-one wants to see another "War on the Shore", but if it becomes a bloody great "oh well played chaps", affair, it surely takes the point of it away, doesn't it? This isn't an exhibition match, it's the biggest event in golf's calendar. As so many people are keen to point out, golf is - for the uninitiated - about as exciting as watching the bunkers being raked to begin with, and if you can't have thousands of fans yelling partisan encouragement, and the winning team spraying champagne over each other at the end, it would remove most of the point of watching the thing. A bit like an England v "anyone except Australia" test match series in cricket.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Faldo uses Mike Brearley like psychology to decide on the pairings:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7621161.stm

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I don't think it would surprise anyone in the slightest if the two Irishmen played together, and the two Spaniards, and the two Scandanavians, at least at some point. Faldo can hardly be accused of letting the cat out of the bag" at all in trying those out. Azinger will almost certainly pair up JB Holmes and Kenny Perry as well, both of them being from Kentucky.

I was more astonished by the revelation that Ben Curtis had "never" played foursomes ("alternate shot" as I think it's known in the States) before. It's pretty much a staple of amateur club golf in the UK, with just about every club I've ever played at holding foursomes tournaments, and as recently as the 1970s there was even a professional foursomes matchplay event on the British circuit. It's also the truest test of "team" golf for pairs, with players having to think not only about what they're trying to do with their shot, but what their partner would like to be left with (instead of driving a certain distance to leave yourself your preferred length of 5-iron shot into a green, for example, you have to consider if your partner prefers to go for the green with a 7-iron from a shorter distance. Do you roll your putt six feet past, confident in your own ability to slam in the return, or do you lag up as your partner struggles with shorter putts?).

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

We always called them "foursomes", (as opposed to "four ball" or "best ball"), but then we may well have been effete Easterners under the thrall of our former colonial masters. I completely agree with you about it being the truest test of team golf.

Has the course dried out?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Hofzinser wrote:
              I usually absolutely love the Ryder Cup and look forward to it for a while before it starts.

But this year I'm finding it hard to get enthused because Faldo is such a prick that a big part of me would love to see him fail, especially now that he's ditched two of European golf's biggest and best personalities in favour of, essentially, two nodding dogs (which isn't to say that one of them oughtn't to have been picked).

I'll not be cheering on Europe with as much gusto as usual, if any, that's for sure.
              My feelings exactly and they are increasing as we see more of Faldo in the build up. It's starting to feel a tiny bit like Woodward's Lions tour where I actually ended up supporting the All Blacks.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

ursus - foursomes and fourballs are different things, foursomes there is only two balls in play and fourballs... I probably don't need to say.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I was trying to say that foursomes, four ball and best ball were all different games when I played.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

To be fair, Azinger is a complete prick too, so there's nothing to choose between the two captains.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I was going to say that it would take a truly Herculean effort by the Europe team to be less appealing to neutrals than their US counterparts.

I always support Europe in this competition.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

no interest whatsoever, but who was the american player who sounded like cletus i heard interviewed on the radio today?

talking about dogs and hunting etc

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Todays morning pairings:

Harrington/Karlsson v Mickleson/Kim
                          Stenson/Casey v Leonard/Mahan
                          Rose/Poulter v Cink/Campbell
                          Westwood/Garcia v Furyk/Perry

I'm hoping the Rose/Poulter combo blows up, and that we get a 2-2 finish to the morning.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

That's be Boo Weekley.

Yes, you heard right, "Boo".

He's about the world's number 30 golfer, earning millions, but he's only into it to finance his huntin' and-a-fishin' expeditions. I think the story gets embellished that he only picked up a club for the first time aged 21, as a bet when he was at a huntin' and a fishin' college, or something. Quite a character.

Opening foursomes (first match out about 1pm BST) and Rogin predictions:

Phil Mickelson and Anthony Kim v Padraig Harrington and Robert Karlsson - Harrington and Karlsson, who've both won big events recently, will be expected to get the European ball rolling in this one, against Mickelson, who doesn't have a great record in team golf, and rookie Kim. Europe 1-0

Justin Leonard and Hunter Mahan v Henrik Stensson and Paul Casey - might be tighter, this one. All 4 players have something of a record in matchplay, and it could just come down to which pair gels together the best. Europe 1/2 - 1/2 USA

Stewart Cink and Chad Campbell v Justin Rose and Ian Poulter - not confident about this one. Cink and Campbell are both very solid golfers, while Rose and Poulter are patchy. Patchy's not great in foursomes, where one poor shot from either player loses the hole. USA 1-0

Kenny Perry and Jim Furyk v Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia - Again, Perry and Furyk are a very solid pair, neither will make too many errors but Furyk's not a great short putter, if needed to be. Westwood and Garcia - who've both enjoyed excellent foursomes records with other partners in the past - will want to get off to a winning start here too. A loss would be demoralising for Garcia in particular, which could be a significant blow as Sergio was certainly expected to play (and hopefully win) 5 times this weekend. Europe 1-0

Overall Europe 2 1/2 - 1 1/2 US after the opening games.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Morning foursomes hang in the balance.

Europe 1up in two matches. USA 2up in one and 1up in the other. All matches are on the back nine.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Mickelson needs a bra.

Badly.

Why would Azinger curse star rookie Anthony Kim with Tits? It will destroy Kim's confidence for the rest of this tournament.

I've got Europe 3-1 after the morning play.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I typed too soon. It's swung Americas way - Up in three matches, with the now crucial opening match at all square with two to play.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

If anyone wants to watch online...

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

What the hell is Mickelson doing conceding that putt? It was certainly no gimme. Sportsmanship is one thing, but Tits is a moron! I didn't see Harrington conceding that putt to Kim.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Faldo is such a prick that a big part of me would love to see him fail
                                        Why so? Faldo is a fucking hero. He was single-minded, determined and driven as a player, things that we laud Olympic athletes for. Now he's retired, he's mellowed out a great deal. He's excellent as a commentator.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Aye we're dooooomed laddie! Looks like we could do with the experience of Monty or Clarke now. I don't see a leader amongst those on the course.
                                          Long way to go however....

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

hobbes wrote:
                                            Faldo is such a prick that a big part of me would love to see him fail
                                            Why so? Faldo is a fucking hero. He was single-minded, determined and driven as a player, things that we laud Olympic athletes for.
                                            Doesn't make him a good captain though.

I actually think he is having a bit of a breakdown based on his behaviour in the last 48 hrs.

I can't believe his solitary presence hovering over his players, muttering to himself, chewing his knuckles , gesticulating and generally looking like the Angel of Death can be helping them.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

yes he was looking the part earlier in the week, less so now the pressure is on

very interested to see his pairings for tomorrow morning, i hope he has a plan b

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

More like Plan Z.

Drop Westwood and Garcia, starting Wilson with a new partner.

More evidence for Harry's breakdown theory, methinks.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I don't get the second day's pairings at all. I think Lee Westwood would have been the first name on my teamsheet after yesterday, not the player I'd have dropped. I don't understand sending Rose and Poulter out together again either - they made a right mess of it yesterday, and both looked like they were struggling with the pressure of the occasion yesterday morning.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Faldo is the Raymond Domenech of golf.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X