3 Miguel Angel JIMéNEZ 2,005,780.63
    4 Graeme MCDOWELL 1,899,335.72
    5 Padraig HARRINGTON 1,763,740.27
    6 Henrik STENSON 1,640,824.60
    7 Søren HANSEN 1,340,921.93
    8 Oliver WILSON 1,326,431.56
    9 Martin KAYMER 1,316,335.15
    10 Justin ROSE 1,272,327.75

(Top five on world points list qualify for team, plus top five on European points list not otherwise qualified from world points list.)

Team as it stands: Harrington, Westwood, Stenson, Karlsson, Jimenez, McDowell, Hansen, Rose, Kaymer, Wilson (plus two
    players of Faldo's choice)

As things stand, the likes of Garcia, Poulter and Montgomerie are all looking at trying to get in on a wild card. You'd think that at least one of the first two can push themselves into the automatic spots before the end of qualifying.

Assuming they both do, who are the wild cards likely to be? Is Monty a shoo-in? Is Darren Clarke likely to get a look in? Would I be right in assuming that if either Garcia or Poulter don't make it in automatically they'll almost certainly get a wild card? Surely Garcia at least will be in the team one way or another?

I have to confess I know nothing whatsoever about Hansen, Wilson or Kaymer.

Ryder Cup 2008

Garcia will definitely be in if he doesn't qualify, Faldo will want players who know how to cope with typically set-up American courses, and Garcia's probably the best he's got in that respect at the moment (he won the Tournament Players' Championship only a couple of months ago).

Don't know if Poulter is Faldo's sort of player. I think Faldo's more likely to go with Paul Casey, rather than Poulter, given the choice of the two of them, as I can picture Casey making up fourball and foursomes options with more of the other players than I can picture Poulter with.

The elephant in the room is of course Colin Montgomerie. He's playing like crap, and Faldo's going to have to decide if his sheer presence is worth taking a player who might not be any use. If I was Faldo I'd be talking to Montgomerie and asking him honestly if he thinks his game wil be up for it. Whoever Faldo picks as his wildcards can be certani to play at least 4 times in 3 days, because Faldo won't be sending out the rookies like Wilson, Kaymer and even McDowell more than once a day (and possibly not at all on Friday).

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Rose only needs a couple of top tens to force himself into contention too.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Of course, Europe could send out My Mum, Rene and Renata and the cast of The Sound of Music and still kick the American teams' arse, such is the fragility of their confidence.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Rose is already in the team on the basis of current standings, hobbes. He's right at the bottom of the standings, mind you, and will certainly need to pick up some points over the next few weeks to remain in that spot - especially with Garcia hovering just outside the top 6 of the World list.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

The "World points" list is very tight. The 5 points Sergio's behind Karlsson (currently 4th) equates to about 25th place at the USPGA, or 15th at the WGC. Even third place at the USPGA hauls in 40 points, so Graeme McDowell could yet qualify from that list.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

The 8 qualifiers in the US Team were finalised last night, and it'll be nice to see Ben Curtis in the American side:

Stewart Cink
              Phil Mickelson
              Kenny Perry
              Jim Furyk
              Anthony Kim
              Justin Leonard
              Ben Curtis
              Boo Weekley

Steve Stricker, who dropped to ninth in the table, will almost certainly be picked by Azinger, as will Zach Johnson, last year's Masters champion. After them, Azinger's got a choice of some relatively untested players at this level - Hunter Mahan, DJ Trahan, JB Holmes, Brandt Snedecker and a handful of "oldies but stil goodies" in Woody Austin, David Toms, Mark Calcavecchia and Scott Verplank. Verplank, actually, I expect to be picked, he's won 3 of his 5 Ryder Cup matches to date including singles wins over Westwood and Harrington. If Azinger does pick Verplank, it will be remarkable inasmuch as he'll have played in 3 Ryder Cups and been a captain's pick each time.

Europe's team is taking on its final shape now, too. Harrington, Westwood, Garcia, Stenson, Karlsson, Jimenez and McDowell are already definitely in, from one list or the other, and while Justin Rose hasn't yet made sure of a place he'd be unlucky to be overtaken by 3 players on the Euro money list. Oliver Wilson and Soren Hansen are currently the next two on the European list, but with 3 events left it's all to play for, and if anyone down to about Monty's position wins one of the last 3 events (and the €300k that goes with it) they'll be right up there. That brings into contention Montgomerie himself, Paul Casey, Soren Kjeldsen, Nick Dougherty, Martin Kaymer, Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher; Fisher won the Dutch Open last year (one of the 3 left to play), Kaymer and Dougherty tied second at the Scandanavian Masters (one of the others), and if Montgomerie can't raise his game for a push at the title at Gleneagles then he shouldn't be in the team.

Depending on who qualifies automatically, I'd expect Faldo to pick Dougherty, Casey and Poulter, in that order. Dougherty might as well pack his bags now, thinking about it, he's a protege of Faldo's. If 2 of those 3 make the team automatically, I think Faldo will pick the other one and Montgomerie.

As if to highlight the absent Tiger's dominance among his peers, it's worth noting that the combined total of major championships won by players on both sides will be between 9 and 12, depending on Azinger's picks. Tiger's won 14.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Depending on who eventually takes the automatic qualifying places, do you think there's any chance that Darren Clarke would be in with a shout of a wildcard place, Rogin?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

There's a chance, I suppose - Faldo's hardly renowned for sentiment, but might recognise the need for a rallying, senior figure in the squad, even if that player isn't playing at all well at the moment. I think Montgomerie would be more likely to fit that bill than Clarke, but there is the fact that if Monty plays, and partners Harrington (as Padraig would want, and he's pretty much going to be able to dictate who he plays with as the de facto World number one at the moment) he'll likely win the points he needs to replace Faldo himself as Europe's greatest ever Ryder Cup player. I imagine Faldo would fucking hate that, privately, so it could just be that Faldo, looking at a team that included say Hansen, Wilson and McDowell, added Clarke in. Clarke with McDowell for the foursomes wouldn't be a bad pairing, actually. Karlsson and Stenson are certain to go out together, as are Jimenez and Garcia. Westwood and Harrington would be our top pair, probably sent out to face Mickelson and Furyk (who will also be paired).

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Westwood and Clarke are extremely close. If Clarke was picked those two would almost certainly play together.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

are you trying to tell us something there toro with those italics?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

No.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

great.

I think Padraig harrington is the first Irish sports person in god knows how long, that no-one has a bad thing to say about. (i'm sure you'd find someone in cork with a bad thing to say about mick o'connell, and apparently christy ring was a bit of a bollocks) but I think mild mockery of his flora anti cholesterol ads is about as bad as it will get. I really like him, and my feelings about golf range from total disinterest, to seething hatred depending on the circumstances.

and before you say anything toro, Sonia just kept letting us down.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

And threw a hissy fit about having to wear national team kit. I agree.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

It still feels somewhat bizarre, that Padraig "second place" Harrington is now to be considered among golf's pantheon of greats, like Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson and Woods. Harrington. Can you put ladybirds in it? Course you fucking can. Ireland's greatest ever sportsman? Can't be far off.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

On Radio 5live they were wondering whether Monty should be picked. If Faldo was looking for an excuse not to pick him the fact that he's playing like a 14 handicapper should do it.

As AIATL says Harrington seems like a great chap. However during his acceptance speech at the Open when he thanked the R&A Mrs Beast (a West of Scotland lassie) asked 'Did he say "I'd like to thank the IRA"'?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Clarke's victory in the Dutch Open (along with his ticking the boxes of old and experienced head, solid guy, great for team morale) has made him virtually impossible for Faldo not to pick, now. The press would rip Faldo to pieces not picking a Darren Clarke who's suddenly winning tournaments on the eve of the Ryder Cup.

That leaves Faldo with a choice of Montgomerie, Poulter, Casey, and Dougherty, among those still not automatically in the team.

Casey finished fifth or so in last weekend's event in the US, and Faldo will want players used to winning in America. He's got a few of those in his automatics, though - Stensson, Harrington, Westwood and Garcia - so he may yet overlook Casey in favour of another "old head", perhaps Monty.

I bet Faldo's praying for Clarke to win next week as well, though, to play his way into the side automatically, so he can conveniently overlook the likes of either Wilson or Hansen.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Well, I'd got my maths wrong, Clarke can't play his way into an automatic spot even with a win this weekend, and the way Oliver Wilson and Soren Hansen are playing, it looks like they'll make the team, along with Rose.

So it will some combination of Clarke, Montgomerie, the absent Casey and Poulter and possibly Dougherty that Faldo is likely to pick two from. Dougherty's looking much less likely, now, than he was a month ago, despite his close links to Faldo, if Wilson and Hansen have both played their way in as opposed to some bigger names.

In a remarkable piece of possible oversight, it's confirmed Faldo will make his choices tomorrow, even though the US event that Casey and Poulter are playing in doesn't finish until Monday night (Azinger will announce his picks on Tuesday morning). It will make Faldo look a bit out of touch if he overlooks either Poulter or Casey and they go on to beat the entire US team on Monday to win that event, on US soil. I'm surprised he hasn't asked the PGA to delay his own announcement just in case. If Faldo does pick Casey and Poulter (and to be fair he'd be justified in doing so anyway on world ranking grounds) it will only fuel the hotly-denied rumours that Faldo had already given both players a tip-off that they didn't need to worry about trying to qualify automatically.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Poulter and Casey the captain's picks.

They'd had the tip-off obviously, it'll be interesting to see what Clarke says now.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I'm genuinely stunned that he didn't pick at least one of Montgomery or Clarke.

Faldo has left himself open to some serious criticism if Casey & Poulter don't pick up a couple of points.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Casey's been excellent tee-to-green all year but his putting's been wobbly.
                                          In the last month or so that's seen a decent improvement, so I think a good pick. I'd have had Monty over Pouler though.
                                          Poulter strikes me as a bit of an Ipod. Looks like he should be brilliant but actually, when push comes to shove, a bit disappointing.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

This Ryder Cup is going to be a career-defining moment for Ian Poulter. He's always been blessed with enormous self-confidence, and hasn't been afraid to say so out loud (he's the self-proclaimed "second best golfer in the world", despite all the evidence to the contrary). One second place finish in a major championship (especially one in which you were sharing the lead with a few holes to play) does not a truly world-class golfer make. It puts you alongside Chad Campbell, or Len Mattiace, or Rocco Mediate.

If Europe lose the Ryder Cup by a couple of points (and very few contests have gone more than 2 points one way or the other since it became USA v Europe) and Poulter loses in two or three, everyone will be saying Faldo tossed it away by not picking Clarke, whose 9 wins in 15 foursomes and fourballs have been defining moments in recent matches.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I usually absolutely love the Ryder Cup and look forward to it for a while before it starts.

But this year I'm finding it hard to get enthused because Faldo is such a prick that a big part of me would love to see him fail, especially now that he's ditched two of European golf's biggest and best personalities in favour of, essentially, two nodding dogs (which isn't to say that one of them oughtn't to have been picked).

I'll not be cheering on Europe with as much gusto as usual, if any, that's for sure.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I'd have picked Casey and Clarke. No way should Monty have been picked, his form is atrocious.

Casey and Poulter both have pretty big personalities (though Poulter's isn't very appealing). Europe to win, Poulter to lose every game? That'd be OK by me.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Azinger's picks are decidedly unadventurous, in one respect - basically the next four players off the merit list.

Steve Stricker, Chad Campbell, Hunter Mahan and JB Holmes.

Azinger's gone for the Ray Floyd captain's approach - these are the next 4 best players according to how they've tried to play their way into the team, so these are the guys I'll stick with. As I said above, I'd expected him to go with a Verplank or a Calcavecchia just to get some experience in - the US team will now include 6 rookies, 3 today adding to Curtis, Weekley and Kim who were already there.

It's probably good for team morale, in one way. Faldo did the same, in picking Poulter and Casey. Despite all the fuss about who might "bring" this and that to the team, Zinger's picked his top 12 according to who's played best this year; Faldo's done the same with his two, for all the criticism it's brought him.

Maybe it would be better for the Ryder Cup if we did away with this "captain's picks" bollocks and just made it top 12 by strict criteria. It's the captain's job, after all, to work with what he's got once he knows his team.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X