Puck-off! NHL 2022–23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
    My extremely broad brush take on Canadian franchises is generally a refusal to build from the ground up and lots of quick fixes every year to try and remain relevant. A lot of people are upset the Canadiens are pretty crappy this year but I’m somewhat relieved, they seem to actually be trying to do a full rebuild which hasn’t happened in my lifetime.
    That's true. 'Never say rebuild' seems to be an ongoing mantra in successive Canuck front offices. I'm not sure why. A reluctance to admit institutional failure maybe?

Comment

Oh my word. According to this weeks Down Goes Brown, Bruce Boudreau scored his first NHL goal when he was playing for the Maple Leafs. The goalie he beat was... Jim Rutherford.

Comment

RIP Bobby Hull, one of the greatest players and assholes in history.

Comment

RIP Bobby Hull, one of the greatest players and assholes in history.
          Yeah. Great player. Used his status to campaign against fighting in hockey, but beat up his wives and hung one of them over a balcony.

Comment

Nux trade captain Bo Horvat to the Islanders for a first round pick this year, and two first team forwards.

It's very sad, especially as he's having a career year, but expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
              Nux trade captain Bo Horvat to the Islanders for a first round pick this year, and two first team forwards.

It's very sad, especially as he's having a career year, but expected.
              insert obscenities here. Beauvillier and Aatu Raty

Comment

What's your take on them?

Comment

This seems to be one of those rare trades in which both sets of fans and beat writers think their club were fleeced

Comment

I thought Beauvillier was one of the up and coming Islanders stars - I'm pretty sure two playoffs ago he was a monster.

Comment

This was the Athletic's take

players that the Canucks are netting in this trade are relatively low-upside pieces. Beauvilier is a hard-working, somewhat expensive middle-six caliber winger. He’s been widely available on the trade block dating back to this offseason. Beauvillier is a nice player. He’s got some speed and creativity, but he isn’t a top-line caliber contributor. He also plays a position at which the Canucks are loaded (both from a cap commitment and from a talent perspective). Raty is a high-pedigree 20-year-old center capable of playing a major NHL role right now.

Comment

The sense locally is that Beauvilier is an immediate replacement for Horvat, in a positional sense. He's got two years left on a moderately expensive contract, and possibly could be gone after that. Raty is going to Abbotsford where the Canucks are nurturing their younger, mostly European, talent ready for next season

Comment

Got tickets to the https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...key-tournament Beanpot next Monday night....it's so much better now that the Northeastern program has improved massively the past few years...

Comment

I can't help but think that it lost a bit when they tore down the old Garden, but it remains a great experience

And everyone can see the ice now

Enjoy
                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-01-2023, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              I can't help but think that it lost a bitvwgen they tore down the old Garden, but it remains a great experience

Enjoy
                              Yep - I did enjoy the Beanpot and even more so, the High School Super 8 at the old Garden - seen so many future NHL'er in these/those tourneys. Some of the BU teams over the years would thrash a few current NHL doormats.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                Got tickets to the https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...key-tournament Beanpot next Monday night....it's so much better now that the Northeastern program has improved massively the past few years...
                                I saw BU beat BC in the final there in 1997. That was a great experience. I'm sure it would be better for fans in the old Garden, but the locker rooms, etc, were terrible.

Some of the BU teams over the years would thrash a few current NHL doormats.
                                I'm sure that's not true, but it seems like that.
                                Even the best college teams have just a few players good enough to make the NHL and a ton of college stars never do much in the NHL.
                                Whereas, every NHL player is good enough for the NHL. Even the Coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I saw BU beat BC in the final there in 1997. That was a great experience. I'm sure it would be better for fans in the old Garden, but the locker rooms, etc, were terrible.

I'm sure that's not true, but it seems like that.
                                  I know, I know :-) .........but the BU Team(s) with Tony Amonte (89-91) were superb.

Comment

How am I just learning about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                      The Friendship Four tournament in Belfast is usually a cracking weekend of NCAA hockey.

Comment

The Beanpot final will be Harvard vs Northeastern. I was surprised to learn that even, though this event has been happening for 70 years and it has been, I believe, always contested by the same four teams. And yet, Harvard has never before played Northeastern in the final.

I'm not entirely sure how they decide who plays who in the semis, but I think it's usually (always?) set up to provide the possibility of a BU-BC final because that's likely to draw the most interest. But that means that Harvard-Northeastern has also been a frequent possibility, and yet it's never happened before.

The Beanpot has no influence on league standings and yet the fans and players still care a lot about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post

The Friendship Four tournament in Belfast is usually a cracking weekend of NCAA hockey.
                                          Yeah, I'd like Penn State to try to get into that. Maybe I would come watch. But so far, they seem to only want to invite New England teams.

Maybe they could point out that the Giants have two former Penn State players on their roster at the moment, Scott Conway and David Goodwin. (Conway only played for PSU for a year. Got kicked out, presumably for flunking out of school, but it's not clear.)
                                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-02-2023, 21:11.

Comment

The Boston Garden was a site of holy significance for me. it’s a shame they couldn’t at least have done some facadism or something and kept the shell for whatever stupid corporate crap is there now.

Comment

Perhaps this trade might work out after all.

Comment

The Boston Garden was a site of holy significance for me. it’s a shame they couldn’t at least have done some facadism or something and kept the shell for whatever stupid corporate crap is there now.
                                                I’m not sure that would have been possible.
                                                It was too small.

And there were obstructed-view seats. It was infested with all kinds of things. The ice wasn’t regulation. The locker rooms were a lot worse than the ones we have at the Y.

The first thing I did when I moved to Boston in 95, soon before they tore it down, was do the public tour of The Garden. But I never attended a game there.

Comment

I think Flynnie is right that they could have preserved the facade with some effort, though it did have the balconies hanging from it inside

Comment

It would have been easier to save the marquee from MSG III, but it wasn't the done thing at the time

After all, they had destroyed Pennsylvania Station in connection with building the current Garden.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X