Puck-off! NHL 2022–23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puck-off! NHL 2022–23

I'm borrowing delicatemoth's excellent title suggestion from elsewhere, Cheers dm.

I can safely say our local hockey team has begun the season as they hope it won't go on. The Nux have managed to build a two goal first period lead in their first four games and then lose all of them. Needless to say this is an NHL record. Indeed losing three games after being two up was a record, but just to make it safe for a decade or three, they managed to cough up another in OT at Columbus today. It's gonna be a great year guys!

Now five losses in a row after taking a lead. Why oh why didn't we bring in a couple of decent defencemen, instead of blowing $7 million a year on a superannuated forward who had one freakishly good season?

Comment

Canucks booed off the ice in their home opener, a 1-5 loss to Buffalo... Buffalo! Fans throw team sweaters on the ice. in disgust I didn't see the game but apparently the the team pretty much downed sticks in the third period. All very depressing. Someone give me a hug. Please!

Comment

Damn.

I can certainly send back Corey Schneider.

Comment

Heh! Goaltending is the least of our problems.

Comment

Cheer up - you're only six points off a playoff spot.

Boston are, IMO, flattering to deceive.
            Last edited by Snake Plissken; 27-10-2022, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
              Canucks booed off the ice in their home opener, a 1-5 loss to Buffalo... Buffalo! Fans throw team sweaters on the ice. in disgust I didn't see the game but apparently the the team pretty much downed sticks in the third period. All very depressing. Someone give me a hug. Please!

Bruce Boooooo'd reau, am I right?

He's not going to last.

Comment

Dunno about Amor, but I think it is cruel to keep him on at this point.

But then the franchise has been dysfunctional for yonks, and the primary reason for that state of affairs sits on the Board of Governors.

Comment

If they lose in Seattle tonight, and at home to Pittsburgh tomorrow. Something will happen. Not sure what. But something.

Comment

The Sens are for sale, not surprisingly. By all accounts, there isn't much threat of them leaving Ottawa.

There are vague reports that Ryan Reynolds is interested.
                    https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ryan-reynolds...sale-1.1872730

Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are very rich by any reasonable definition of rich.
                    He and Rob McElhenney by Wrexham for $2.5m (and have put a lot more into it) but that's a lot less than the ~$750m that it will take to own the Senators. So I don't know if he could put together a group that would make him the primary owner team rep on the board of governors.
                    But it would be great for the league and I suspect he could help them get this new arena deal done.

Comment

He should buy the Canucks. Being as he lives here n'all.

Comment

They aren’t for sale, unfortunately. If they were, they’d cost a lot more than the Senators.

They are both from the west coast, but when he was on that Dave Letterman show, he showed off his house in Westchester County, NY. They also have a place in Tribecca.

I guess that if one becomes a big enough movie star, there isn’t any reason to live in LA.

Comment

What the....How the Hades did this happen?

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 7.35.29 PM.png

Comment

That was quick.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/boston-bruins...ller-1.1874409

Comment

At least they acknowledged their mistake

It was DOA as soon as Bergeron spoke out

Comment

Cam Neely seemed to be the one tasked with taking the public bullet on this, but clearly both the decision to sign him and drop him had to be approved by Jacobs, I'd think.

It's not clear what "new information" prompted this reversal. That new info might just have been "This is going down way worse in our own room than we would have thought." Or it could have been that they discovered that Miller had never properly apologized as he had claimed. It's also possible that Bettman's comments were a surprise, although I can't see how. I suspect the Providence Bruins had some notes too.

The Coyotes and Bruins clearly didn't do proper due diligence, but then "talk to the family of a kid the prospect abused in junior high" is not something scouting departments usually have to do so it isn't on their checklist. I suspect that they, and every team, will get better at this going forward. It's worth paying for more investigation to avoid these kinds of mistakes.

As for Miller. A lot of kids who are dicks at 14 grow out of it and turn out ok. But a lot don't. And certainly a lot of kids who were huge dicks at 14 are still dicks at 19.

But now he's just in a trap because anything he does to show remorse or provide restitution will just be seen as self-serving and disingenuine, whether it is or not. Maybe if he plays in the Polish second division or whatever for a while, he can gain some clarity. Or maybe he just needs to go work at an Olive Garden for a while to see how the world really works.

Kids, even spoiled ones told they're awesome every day, don't just become racist bullies at 14 just by random. So whatever his influences were at home and/or in youth hockey, he needs to get away from those.

Comment

Tabarnak

This is just wrong

Comment

Gaak!

Comment

The Hockey Gods react

https://twitter.com/canadiensmtl/status/1592709086340345856?s=61&t=D80CwDh6s0Wyh1LNuQKFEQ

Comment

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 7.20.36 PM.png

Comment

They're not great but they're supposed to be a tribute to these guys, so lay off

Comment

They should've just gone with the Expos M on the chest. Never in a billion years would I have figured that out.

Comment

See also the royal blue pants

It just doesn't work

Comment

11 in a row, JV

Comment

Amazing stuff. Hope it's for real.

Hoping to see some games during the winter break.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X