No announcement yet.

A World Cup Year? Rugby League 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good evening from Featherstone vs Newcastle.

Comment

Just bought tickets for the Challenge Cup Final.

Waiting 36 hours from the general sale starting for an old mate from St Helens (and my original link into following the team) to confirm attendance has left us in a somewhat lofty viewing position.

Comment

We still haven't got an answer to the question I posed in the title - after saying a decision would be made this week the organisers put out a holding statement last night, and if I had to bet one way or the other I reckon it is getting punted to next year.

Comment

The third game of State of Origin, originally to be held on Sydney, then moved to Newcastle, is now to be played on the Gold Coast, meaning all three games will have been played in Queensland (again however, not that it has done them any good so far).

Comment

Due to the date of the Challenge Cup final being changed and me forgetting to cancel the tickets I find myself double booked on Saturday. 2 free tickets for anyone who wants them! Blue level 2 East, whatever that means.

Comment

My brother who is an occasional otfer but who's lost his log in, would be very interested if they're still available The Mighty Trin

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                My brother who is an occasional otfer but who's lost his log in, would be very interested if they're still available The Mighty Trin
                Still available and sent you a message. I assume that Wembley will have been put back together by Saturday...

Comment

Cheers. Responded to your message.

Comment

The NRL have now moved the whole competition to Queensland until further notice.

Comment

After two extremely one sided Origin games, finally a contest in the dead rubber. Sounds like a cracking match

Highlights here

Comment

London Broncos at Plough Lane is appears to be 100% confirmed ;

https://twitter.com/afcwimbledon/status/1415944123727687682?s=21

Comment

The Challenge Cup Final has been some game so far.

Comment

Thanks to The Mighty Trin, my brother and his youngest were there. They said it was a cracker

Comment

Amazing considering the conditions. Jack Welsby is some player, they just need to work out where to play him now.

Comment

I watched Fev vs York afterwards on the iPlayer, another brilliant game. I see Fev had a banner with Andy Capp crossing another code.

Comment

A really good game especially considering that heat. We said at half time that we thought Saints would win as they looked strongest throughout but that first Cas try was just beautiful. Massive thanks to The Mighty Trin for the tickets and thanks to ad hoc for thinking of me!

Comment

I was double booked at Silverstone, which is of course a first world problem, and due to me being a Wakefield boy I can't support C*s v anyone except in a final v Leeds (and that was a really tough final to watch as I wanted them to change the rules on the day to allow for a draw).

Fev v York sounds like a belter and I hear that the main game was a corker as well. Looking forward to watching it on probably Tuesday night and pleased for all those who went!

Comment

Australia and New Zealand both pull out of the RL World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                        Australia and New Zealand both pull out of the RL World Cup.
                                        ...and ask for it to be postponed a year. Which as someone points out Twitter is like asking your cousin to postpone their wedding for a year because you can't make it. (I know it's not really the same).

Hard to see how they will proceed without them, despite the bluster a couple of weeks ago about having a contingency plan if teams pull out. The Pacific Island nations will pull out next, to appease the NRL clubs.

Comment

There is a parallel story on Twitter that following yesterday's announcement of Brisbane as the 2032 Olympics host, the NRL is targeting the inclusion of RL Nines as a demonstration sport. I was tempted to comment "what's the point, they'll just pull out at the last minute" but didn't fancy the ensuing row.

Comment

Reportedly Nines rather than the full version of the sport.

If Cricket continues to fall short in the IOC's eyes because of the relatively small number of countries that play it, it is hard for me to see how RL would qualify,

Thoufh it is of course true that consistency is not the IOC's strong point.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

...and ask for it to be postponed a year. Which as someone points out Twitter is like asking your cousin to postpone their wedding for a year because you can't make it. (I know it's not really the same).

Hard to see how they will proceed without them, despite the bluster a couple of weeks ago about having a contingency plan if teams pull out. The Pacific Island nations will pull out next, to appease the NRL clubs.
                                              I was more than a little surprised when the RLWC sent out that update on the 15th saying that everything was going ahead. This news can't come as a surprise to anyone other than, perhaps, the RLWC organisers.

In the unlikely event that they do plough on regardless, it is all starting to fall into place for Lebanon. Come on you Cedars!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                I was more than a little surprised when the RLWC sent out that update on the 15th saying that everything was going ahead. This news can't come as a surprise to anyone other than, perhaps, the RLWC organisers.

In the unlikely event that they do plough on regardless, it is all starting to fall into place for Lebanon. Come on you Cedars!
                                                There seems to have been a bit of pissing about from both sides and it was clear from the delays to the announcement, and then the wording of the announcement itself (where it was clear that not everyone was on board), that there was no consensus about it and then that the organisers were trying to pressure the teams publicly by making the announcement when they did.

I actually think it's the right thing to postpone - it will be disaster for the sport for it not to happen this year but an even bigger disaster for it to happen badly. I'd just rather it was arrived at in a sensible way rather than the most divisive way possible, which is what has now happened.

Comment

...and so it begins: Simon Johnson, chair of the RFL, live on BBC News, describes decision as "parochial and cowardly".

Dan Roan reports that the organisers were only told about the Aus/NZ announcement four minutes before it was made.

Comment

How many tickets have been sold so far?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X