No announcement yet.

NFL 2020: the TB (Tom Brady) Buccaneers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squawks managed to hang in, not one of their better performances though.

Comment

Lots of injuries, though (the sack and interception on the last two Cowboys' plays were both by guys in their first game)

And Wilson with five TD passes in consecutive games (and 14 in three games).

Comment

In other news

On Sunday, Atlanta became the first team in NFL history to lose twice in one season after holding at least a 15-point lead in the fourth quarter. They packed that dubious achievement into back-to-back games.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Lots of injuries, though (the sack and interception on the last two Cowboys' plays were both by guys in their first game)

And Wilson with five TD passes in consecutive games (and 14 in three games).
          I love watching Wilson. He has uncanny peripheral vision and the ability to evade a sack like no one I've seen.

Comment

Patrick Mahomes is good at gridiron
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 29-09-2020, 01:55.

Comment

Really good game between the Squawks and Vikes yesterday. Even though I'm a Seattle fan (kinda) I felt a bit sorry for Minnesota. They owned the first half, and came back well after the Seahawks got their shit together in the second. But Wilson is truly uncanny. Fourth down with 15 seconds left and he throws the winning pass to Metcalf. I really don't see how they can go all the way with the quality of defence they have, but you can't knock 5–0.

Comment

On the same day that Alex Smith completed his "miracle" comeback from his broken leg two years ago, which led to a number of infections that were actually life-threatening, it was harrowing to see Dak Prescott break his leg in much the same way. Thoughts definitely go out to him.

Comment

The J-E-T-S are an epochally awful football team

Comment

I just don’t understand why the Jets exist.

Comment

They had a real identity as Long Island's team before they moved to Jersey

The Islanders should have learned from them, but at least they realised their error

Comment

Yeah, but they moved from Shea Stadium a long time ago. I guess they always hoped they could build their own stadium. I don’t know if they’re still seriously hoping for that.

Comment

Not under the Johnsons' ownership.

Even by the deplorable standards of the NFL, ownership's absolute contempt for their fans is breathtaking.

Comment

Not under the Johnsons' ownership.

Even by the deplorable standards of the NFL, ownership's absolute contempt for their fans is breathtaking.
                            The interesting thing is the fans I know have it in for Gase more than the owners (though the owners choosing Gase in itself shows their dismay I guess)

Comment

Yeah. Hating on this particular coach seems tk be remarkably shortsighted.

I’ve often wondered what it must be like inside the brains of owners who never win. Like the Johnsons or Dan Snyder or the Browns in Cincinnati. Like, do they really think “this year will be different!” What must the corporate culture be like? There aren’t many other businesses where one can be so demonstrably bad at a major part of running the business and still stay on as CEO.

Comment

That is true among my cohort as well, and also perplexes me.

NFl fans tend to be much more tolerant of incompetent ownership than is the case in other sports.

The Mets and the Jets, whose support overlaps a great deal, are an instructive test case.

Some of that, I think, is because of the right wing context in which the sport exists, but I also think that the draft plays a role, especially when there is a guy like Trevor Lawrence potentially available

Comment

NFl fans tend to be much more tolerant of incompetent ownership than is the case in other sports.
                                  Well there's always the Leafs of course...

Comment

That is true among my cohort as well, and also perplexes me.

The Mets and the Jets, whose support overlaps a great deal, are an instructive test case.

Some of that, I think, is because of the right wing context in which the sport exists, but I also think that the draft plays a role, especially when there is a guy like Trevor Lawrence potentially available
                                    I would feel desperately sorry for Lawrence if he were to somehow end up at the Jets.

Comment

True corporate ownership generally benefits from a certain anonymity in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

I would feel desperately sorry for Lawrence if he were to somehow end up at the Jets.
                                        There are a number of college football types who believe that he would simply stay at Clemson (he has another year of eligibility) should that happen.

Comment

There are a number of college football types who believe that he would simply stay at Clemson (he has another year of eligibility) should that happen.
                                          Well, there have been few so strong and resolute to out-wait the Jets being shit.

I am a little surprised he still has another year (beyond this) of eligibility. But I guess it was more that he was rare in going for a two-fer on the BCS.

Comment

Someone on twitter predicted that the Jets will go 1-15 and Lawrence will stay in college... and end up being drafted in 2022 by the 0-16 Jets instead.

Way back when Rich Kotite* was Jets coach, a Jets fan was pictured in the crowd wearing a paper sack on his head bearing the legend

Just
                                            End
                                            The
                                            Season

I think there may be a market for these again.

*Gase must surely have surpassed Kotite by now as worst Jets coach ever?

Comment

*Sigh*

After over twenty years keeping this hidden on here, it's probably as good a time as ever to admit this. I've followed the Jets for over thirty five years. There - I've said it.

It started when Channel Four started showing highlights and I saw a poster of the Sack Exchange standing over a downed Ken Anderson of the Bengals.
                                              I've only seen them live a couple of times (away at Seattle both times - one win and one defeat) and the intensity of my support has gone up and down (the Rex Ryan 'glory' years passed me by somewhat, but I was fully on board for the Kotite nightmare) however my support has always been there.
                                              I've seen every game this season on TV and it's as bad as it's been. At least there was some talent in the Kotite roster, now there's nothing. Darnold could perhaps start for for a few teams (with a proper head coach), Mekhi Becton shows promise and Braden Mann is a decent punter (and the best tackler on special teams) but other than that there's nothing. We've just traded Steve McClendon who is an ok defensive lineman but more importantly, a great character in the dressing room to the Bucs. We've sent him and a seventh round pick there and got a sixth round pick back... Yep, we're throwing the season.
                                              You know it's bad when the next game you're looking forward to is eleven months away.

(Early on, during the height of my fandom, I read three or four books about Superbowl 3. It was only when I moved to Canada a few years later that I was sure how to pronounce 'Namath'.)

Comment

I'm really sorry, Billy

You deserve much better

Comment

I don't really follow the NFL anymore, but I have enjoyed watching clips of Mike Green rant about it on ESPN.com. He's an old school Jets fan (I think he grew up on the Island). He said he thinks Lawrence should stay in school rather than join the Jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Well there's always the Leafs of course...
                                                    To some extent, all of the Canadian NHL teams's ownerships have proven to be a bit too insulated from their on-ice results over the last 25 years or so.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X