South Africa first innings score: 300-349

England first innings score: 250-299

Comment

Match result: England win

Chosen batter (first innings): Elgar

Chosen bowler (first innings): Broad

South Africa first innings score: 250-299

England first innings score: 250-299
      Last edited by Kevin S; 13-01-2020, 16:05.

Comment

I should have bumped this yesterday. Never mind.

Anyway, England win the toss and bat first. Mark Wood replaces James Anderson.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          I should have bumped this yesterday. Never mind.
          Next test?

Comment

Yeah, why not.

Comment

Ah damn, I meant to do this, but forgot. Now we're underway so not fair to do it now.

Comment

I would have picked SA for the win, but as the reports so far suggest that the pitch is very slow and rain is forecast every day, it sounds like a pre-ordained draw to be honest

Comment

This is very old school.

Comment

61/0 at lunch with the pitch and conditions favouring the batsmen. It seems an age that the England opening partnership has reached lunch intact.

Comment

Apparently it really is an age.

Cook and Strauss, England v India, Fourth Test, 18 August 2011
                      8 years 4 months 29 days ago
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 16-01-2020, 12:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        Apparently it really is an age.

Cook and Strauss, England v India, Fourth Test, 18 August 2011
                        8 years 4 months 29 days ago

Astonishing!

Comment

Getting in and then out when set again.

Comment

The collapse is on, and that was a close escape for Stokes.

Comment

I guess a lot depends on whether you focus on the pitch (not much in it for seamers) or the series (300+ is a big score) to judge how well England are doing. Not bad, but could do with a partnership here is my feeling.

Comment

Cricinfo appears to have died...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                  Cricinfo appears to have died...
                                  Yes i just came to the exact same conclusion

Comment

Follow it on the OBO

Comment

The advantage of cricinfo is that you can have a tab on a browser which keeps showing the score without having to have the whole thing visible. Important when you're working...

Comment

Seems ok now.

Comment

Is it ok to refer to this fifth wicket partnership as 'Pokes'?

Comment

I'm reaching a view that England are just a better side than South Africa right now, though it helps that they've won all three tosses. Must feel like deja vu for the hosts.

Comment

Raining in Port Elizabeth, which rather goes against the "Port Elizabeth, weather fine" earworm that i get whenever I hear or see the words Port Elizabeth

Comment

Play started at 8.45 GMT. That was despite another short shower delaying the start. It's meant to be hot and humid today so good for some swing, possibly an advantage to England.

Comment

South Africa bowler Kagiso Rabada has been banned for the fourth Test after picking up a demerit point for his celebration of the wicket of Joe Root yesterday.
                                                  Rabada out of the final test. Was it that extreme of a celebration?

Comment

Well, perhaps it wasn't really acceptable to get as close to Root while yelling as he did?

I thought the sanction seemed over the top compared, for example, with Buttler's 15% fine, but I think Rabada might have had warnings or fines about this before, which always increases sanctions from the ICC.

Puts a dampener on the series too, a shame all round.
                                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 17-01-2020, 09:47.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X