No announcement yet.

The curious case of the World number one golfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that earlier "crowds" tended to stay in one place rather than follow particular players around.

That is still the case for the majority of spectators.

Comment

The couple of times I went to the Farmers Open at Torrey I roamed the course, watching a bit of this or that hole, or occasionally watching a famous player over two or three shots. But staying in the same spot watching hundreds of players playing the same tee shot or chipping and putting on the same green seemed very boring. And watching the same player over and over again for a full round was properly weird.

In the pantheon of sports that are better to watch on TV than in person, golf is up there with American Football. In terms of sports that are better to do yourself than to watch, I can't think of anything that competes with golf. Maybe darts?

Comment

Sailing might be in that conversation

Comment

I've not sailed my own boat since an outdoor camp when I was about 9, but experience at occasionally attempting to watch Olympic sailing, Americas Cup sailing and so on suggests you're right

Comment

I have twice tried to watch America's Cup races from the shore, which is absolutely ludicrous

Comment

Drone racing.

Comment

Mickelson, eh?

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1522247743862882304?s=21&t=C8UtCbnPbw1Ky98aAmyJrg

Comment

Norman, eh?

Mistakes were made...who among us hasn't...don't just focus on the bad...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/12/s...spt/index.html

Comment

It's true though we do all make mistakes. I forgot to buy some dishwasher tablets yesterday and MBS sent a squad of hitmen to Istanbul to dismember a journalist. These things happen/

Comment

Working...
                    X