No announcement yet.

The curious case of the World number one golfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They set the field off from the 1st and the 10th, although I must admit I can't recall if that's actually a precedent at the US Open. It has also been suggested the course hasn't been set up to be the ferocious test some expected, to limit the time lost in looking for balls in the rough, players needing rulings, etc, but we'll see if scores rocket today and tomorrow now the field's been cut. As it is the lead is only -4, by everyone's favourite player Patrick Reed, closely followed by everyone's second favourite Bryson DeChambeau.

Comment

It has been done before

There was even a year when they started from 1 and 11 at Merion

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-...181802158.html

Comment

A public service

Comment

Around a third of the field is +10 or worse after Round 3. Only three players below par.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-09-2020, 23:47.

Comment

Matthew Wolff leads by two in his first ever US Open. In the old days, you could bank on the youngster in that position catching a severe dose of nerves, and blowing up on Sunday, letting in someone more experienced like Oosthuizen or McIlroy (from today's leaderboard). Even Tom Watson did that, in 1974, before he started winning them. But the way these kids come off the college conveyor belt nowadays, they don't seem to have any nerves at all.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 20-09-2020, 09:32.

Comment

There are a number of things I dislike about Bryson DeChambeau:

His stupid hat, which is almost as stupid a way of pretending to be "interesting" as Payne Stewart's plus fours
              The excessive preppyness of his name
              His weird, hyperactive set-up that makes him actually look like he's 'roided up to match his physique
              The fact that his name gives me a "You're going to make me lonesome when you go"/"you're going to make me Bryson DeChambeau" Bob Dylan earworm.

I feel like these aren't the reasons other people dislike him.

Comment

He overflew the green a par 3 hole earlier on, walloping the ball 250 yards on the fly ... with a 4-iron. This is Happy Gilmour about to win the Open.

Comment

Working...
                X