No announcement yet.

The curious case of the World number one golfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They set the field off from the 1st and the 10th, although I must admit I can't recall if that's actually a precedent at the US Open. It has also been suggested the course hasn't been set up to be the ferocious test some expected, to limit the time lost in looking for balls in the rough, players needing rulings, etc, but we'll see if scores rocket today and tomorrow now the field's been cut. As it is the lead is only -4, by everyone's favourite player Patrick Reed, closely followed by everyone's second favourite Bryson DeChambeau.

Comment

It has been done before

There was even a year when they started from 1 and 11 at Merion

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-...181802158.html

Comment

A public service

Comment

Around a third of the field is +10 or worse after Round 3. Only three players below par.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-09-2020, 23:47.

Comment

Matthew Wolff leads by two in his first ever US Open. In the old days, you could bank on the youngster in that position catching a severe dose of nerves, and blowing up on Sunday, letting in someone more experienced like Oosthuizen or McIlroy (from today's leaderboard). Even Tom Watson did that, in 1974, before he started winning them. But the way these kids come off the college conveyor belt nowadays, they don't seem to have any nerves at all.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 20-09-2020, 09:32.

Comment

There are a number of things I dislike about Bryson DeChambeau:

His stupid hat, which is almost as stupid a way of pretending to be "interesting" as Payne Stewart's plus fours
              The excessive preppyness of his name
              His weird, hyperactive set-up that makes him actually look like he's 'roided up to match his physique
              The fact that his name gives me a "You're going to make me lonesome when you go"/"you're going to make me Bryson DeChambeau" Bob Dylan earworm.

I feel like these aren't the reasons other people dislike him.

Comment

He overflew the green a par 3 hole earlier on, walloping the ball 250 yards on the fly ... with a 4-iron. This is Happy Gilmour about to win the Open.

Comment

Reports of serious injuries in car accident, but unclear how serious:

https://twitter.com/LASDHQ/status/1364295974961573889

Comment

Multiple leg fractures, apparently and he's going into surgery.

Video of the car shows a complete write off, but sheriff's deputies were quoted as saying 'the vehicle had minor damage'. Yeah, should just buff out.

Comment

Update at 6pm EST, according to the ABC Twitter feed.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        Multiple leg fractures, apparently and he's going into surgery.

Video of the car shows a complete write off, but sheriff's deputies were quoted as saying 'the vehicle had minor damage'. Yeah, should just buff out.
                        That thing above from the sherif says major damage and mentions the jaws of life.

It doesn’t take much damage for a car to be a right off. If there’s any notion that the frame is bent, it’s totaled.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          That thing above from the sherif says major damage and mentions the jaws of life.
                          I didn't read that, above. I saw it on CNN below the image of the demolished car.

Anyway, with compound fractures of his leg, the chances of a comeback have gone from slim to none. He's done, and Jack will stay atop the throne for another generation.

Comment

He'll remain the most famous golfer in the world, somehow.

Comment

His body had been fighting a losing battle for a while at the level needed to win majors, but he was still making a lot of money from the sport, which is now jeopardized. However, he's lucky to be alive and equally lucky if he avoids long-term disability. I'm not sure why he didn't employ a chauffeur given his history.

GOAT-wise, Nicklaus surely has it for the greater longevity and more gradual decline, and I think some historians make claims for Ben Hogan? Faldo at his best was very, very good but how long did that last?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                I'm not sure why he didn't employ a chauffeur given his history.
                                Yeah. He's definitely going to need a new driver.

*Eh? Eh? Is this thing on?*

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Yeah. He's definitely going to need a new driver.

*Eh? Eh? Is this thing on?*
                                  Jeez. On NBC news the anchor asked an interviewee "So, do you think this is the time for Tiger to walk away from golf?".

TOO SOON.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't lower the tone even further by asking if there is a wheelchair golf event Tiger could enter.

"Tiger not out of the woods" is another.

Comment

Scottie Scheffler becomes world number one after winning the WGC Matchplay Championship. If you've never heard of him, don't be too hard on yourself - he's only been on tour for two years, was a captain's pick rookie at last year's Ryder Cup, and has yet to finish in the top five at a major. This was his third tour win of 2022, though, and he will now be right among the favourites next month at Augusta.
                                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 28-03-2022, 06:58.

Comment

Broadcasters rejoice at news that Woods will play at Augusta.

Let's see if he makes the cut.

Comment

I'd be surprised if he starts the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                            I'd be surprised if he starts the second round.
                                            I'll start a Masters thread

Comment

There's a bit of scandal in pro womens golf at the moment, because the major that was always played last weekend at Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage (the Dinah Shore Trophy) is being forced to be moved, because - as usual - Augusta National is totally insensitive about anyone who isn't old white guys.

Augusta has started running a Womens Amateur tournament for three days in the same weekend before the Masters. And because Augusta has such heft, the national broadcasters show that tournament, which has resulted in the Chevron (previous ANA) tournament basically getting sidelined. So, they've been forced to move dates, which appears to have also forced them out of the desert to Houston, although that might just be Chevron's sponsorship.

Comment

Can't understand how golf became a spectator sport. Did this only happen after TV had been invented?

Comment

In terms of broader popularity, yes, though you would have had smaller numbers of afficionados, club members and sponsors following tournaments in the pre-television age

Comment

I was thinking that it would seem odd for a neutral spectator to be following the players around the course, the players would probably say "Are you stalking me?"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X