It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's always a number 1 day!

With over 70 years of UK chart archives, there will always be a top 10 corresponding to the exact date, with the 1st of August release occurring in 1981:

Unchanged at 10, we have Third World with Dancing On The Floor (Hooked On Love), while falling two places to 9 are ABBA, with Lay All Your Love On Me. Also down three to 8 are Imagination with Body Talk, while climbing a stonking 26 spots to 7 is the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, with Hooked On Classics! Sliding three places to 6 are Bad Manners with Can Can, as do Starsound with Stars On 45 to No 5. Climbing 5 spots to 4 is Stevie Wonder with Happy Birthday, while moving to 3 are Spandau Ballet with Chant No 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On). Down from the top are The Specials with Ghost Town, while climbing a whopping 21 places to No 1 is Michael Barratt, AKA Shakin' Stevens, with Green Door!

Celebrating 20 years on this earth regarding the above chart. 20 years. Just as scary as fact it 42 years ago. 42 years. Home taping might have been killing music but my C90 collection had Abba Imagination & Third World. Spandau & Specials had on vinyl. Was easy enough to ignore those mix ups. Not so easy Bad Manners & especially Stevie Wonder or Shakin.

Comment

Comment

Favourites - tossup between 8 and 9, both absolutely stellar tunes
        Bought at the time - 5. I was unfamiliar with most of those Beatle songs as my parents only had the later albums. I was fascinated by the clapping machine my dad hated so much. I love how it sticks 'Sugar 'Sugar' in there as well.
        Memory plays tricks - if you'd asked me I'd have said that 'Green Door' went to number 1 from 18, not 22. I loved it when singles made odd moves like that. Great choice of song by Shaky and not a terrible version. 1981 was his huge year IIRC with 'This Ole House' at Number 1 for 4 weeks and 'You Drive Me Crazy' one of the big number 2s

Comment

The 2nd brings us to 1958, where unchanged at 10 is Connie Francis, with Who's Sorry Now, while up 4 to 9 is Dean Martin, with Return to Me. Climbing 1 to 8 is Marty Wilde, with Endless Sleep, while down 2 to 7 are the Platters, with Twilight Time. Soaring nine spots to 6 are the Kalin Twins with When, while also on the rise by two places to 5 is Buddy Holly with Rave On. Down one to 4 is Max Bygraves with Tulips from Amsterdam/You Need Hands, while also falling one to 3 are the Four Preps with Big Man. Moving up 4 to 2 is Elvis Presley, with Hard Headed Woman, while there's no change at 1 for the Everly Brothers, with All I Have To Do Is Dream/Claudette.

Comment

It's the 3rd of August 1996, and down 7 to 10 is Gary Barlow, with Forever Love, while a new entry at 9 is Neneh Cherry, with Woman. Falling one to 8 is Wink, with Higher State of Consciousness, while Alanis Morrisette is another new entry at 7, with Head Over Feet. Slipping one to 6, appropriately, are Underworld, with Born Slippy, while the Manics are our third new entry at 5, with Everything Must Go. Rising 4 to 4 are Los Del Rio with Macarena, while up 1 to 3 is Peter Andre ft Bubba Ranx, with Mysterious Girl. There's no change at 2 for the Fugees, with Killing Me Softly, while still at 1 are the Spice Girls, with Wannabe.

Comment

As on the 1st, videos for some of the tracks that may have escaped your memory:

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                With over 70 years of UK chart archives, there will always be a top 10 corresponding to the exact date, with the 1st of August release occurring in 1981:

Unchanged at 10, we have Third World with Dancing On The Floor (Hooked On Love), while falling two places to 9 are ABBA, with Lay All Your Love On Me. Also down three to 8 are Imagination with Body Talk, while climbing a stonking 26 spots to 7 is the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, with Hooked On Classics! Sliding three places to 6 are Bad Manners with Can Can, as do Starsound with Stars On 45 to No 5. Climbing 5 spots to 4 is Stevie Wonder with Happy Birthday, while moving to 3 are Spandau Ballet with Chant No 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On). Down from the top are The Specials with Ghost Town, while climbing a whopping 21 places to No 1 is Michael Barratt, AKA Shakin' Stevens, with Green Door!
                Ah, the glorious summer of medley records... That said, that a single as plainly marvellous as Ghost Town could top the charts back then was a great thing.

Comment

Yesterday's best tune was the Number One, today's best tune is the spine-tingling number Two, which I am going to listen to Right Now.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                    Yesterday's best tune was the Number One, today's best tune is the spine-tingling number Two, which I am going to listen to Right Now.
                    One time?

Comment

It's the 3rd of August 1996, and down 7 to 10 is Gary Barlow, with Forever Love, while a new entry at 9 is Neneh Cherry, with Woman. Falling one to 8 is Wink, with Higher State of Consciousness, while Alanis Morrisette is another new entry at 7, with Head Over Feet. Slipping one to 6, appropriately, are Underworld, with Born Slippy, while the Manics are our third new entry at 5, with Everything Must Go. Rising 4 to 4 are Los Del Rio with Macarena, while up 1 to 3 is Peter Andre ft Bubba Ranx, with Mysterious Girl. There's no change at 2 for the Fugees, with Killing Me Softly, while still at 1 are the Spice Girls, with Wannabe.
                      Wannabe was the first single I ever bought.

I remember Mysterious Girl being a song that people couldn't believe had not got to number 1 - which I think it did later when re-released in 2004. I actually got with my first serious girlfriend while the song was playing at my mate's sister's 18th birthday party.

Comment

The 2nd brings us to 1958, where unchanged at 10 is Connie Francis, with Who's Sorry Now, while up 4 to 9 is Dean Martin, with Return to Me. Climbing 1 to 8 is Marty Wilde, with Endless Sleep, while down 2 to 7 are the Platters, with Twilight Time. Soaring nine spots to 6 are the Kalin Twins with When, while also on the rise by two places to 5 is Buddy Holly with Rave On. Down one to 4 is Max Bygraves with Tulips from Amsterdam/You Need Hands, while also falling one to 3 are the Four Preps with Big Man. Moving up 4 to 2 is Elvis Presley, with Hard Headed Woman, while there's no change at 1 for the Everly Brothers, with All I Have To Do Is Dream/Claudette.
                        Has to be Buddy at No.5 Though the Everlys' double-sider is a pretty unbeatable No.1

Comment

There's a strong argument to say that it was all down hill for music after the Everley brothers. Certainly for white lads singing anyway.

I can't help but hearing nishlord's voice when reading Dr's chart round up

Comment

We're not exactly in the Swinging Sixties, as the 4th of August 1962 sees Bernard Cribbins up 5 to 10 with Right Said Fred, while there's no change for Jimmy Rodgers, and his English Country Garden, at 9. Climbing five places to 8 is Helen Shapiro, with Little Miss Lonely, while sliding two to 7 is Brenda Lee, with Here Comes That Feeling. Inching up 1 to 6 are Mike Sarne and Wendy Richards, who want us all to Come Outside, and while the Crickets say Don't Ever Change, they're up 3 places this week to 5. Down one to 4 is Joe Brown, with his Picture Of You, while Pat Boone moves up one to 3 with Speedy Gonzales. There's no change at 2 for Ray Charles, with I Can't Stop Loving You, while still at 1 is Frank Ifield, with I Remember You.

Comment

Comment

I must warn you in advice that I'm rather partial to kitsch, so I will on occasion deliberately pair a date with a decade if I know when a track happened to peak.

Comment

Today, we revisit the Millennium, and falling three to 10 are Limp Bizkit, with Take A Look Around (Theme from MI:2), while also down by three to 9 are The Corrs, with Breathless. Slipping a whopping five spots to 8 is Louise, with 2 Faced, while also sliding two to 7 are Destiny's Child, with Jumpin' Jumpin'. In at 6 is Santana with Maria Maria, while down one to 5 is Eminem with The Real Slim Shady. Life is a Rollercoaster for Ronan Keating, as he tumbles two to 4, as do Five and Queen to 3 with We Will Rock You. We've a new entry at 2 with Bomfunk MC's and Freestyler, while straight in at 1 is Craig David, with 7 Days.

Comment

Freestyler's the pick of that lot.

Comment

Just about the one bearable track that Limp Bizkit recorded, as well.

Comment

'7 Days' for me, but it's pretty slim (not to say shady) pickings overall.

Comment

Louise with the only track I don't recognise there, but suspect I'm not missing much!

Comment

Falling 2 to 10 this day in 1977 is Alessi, with O Lori, while up 6 to 9 are Showaddywaddy, with You Got What It Takes. Down 2 to 8 are the Sex Pistols, with Pretty Vacant, while up a whopping 11 places to 7 are Smokie, with It's Your Life. Rising 3 to 6 is Rita Coolidge, with We're All Alone, while slipping 2 to 5 are Emerson, Lake and Palmer, with their Fanfare for the Common Man. Up 1 to 4 are Hot Chocolate, with So You Win Again, while tumbling 1 to 3 are Boney M, with Ma Baker. Soaring 2 to 2 are Brotherhood of Man, with Angelo, while there's no change at 1 for Donna Summer, and I Feel Love.

Comment

My dad requested Fanfare for the Common Man at his funeral. We carried his coffin in while it was playing.

Comment

We played Fanfare For The Common Man at the end of my brother's funeral.

Comment

while there's no change at 1 for Donna Summer, and I Feel Love
                                                  This remains the greatest ever Number One record, an essential part of anyone's collection. Ecstasy in grooves (or digital data).

Numbers 3 and 4 are pretty good.

Is 'Pretty Vacant' when the art aesthetes lost interest in the Sex Pistols? It's energetic enough and Lydon's in good form but it's a straightforward rocker at the end of the day.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X