Marmite vocalists and universally-liked ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    All of Various Artist ‘s post above applies to Australia although “Our Mate” tends to be restricted to the “international” sections in supermarkets and for a long time wasn’t available at all. I had to get my Marmite overseas (as above re. Waitrose Dubai) or in a “British Lolly Shop” of which there are one or two in Sydney. But they literally bring their stock in in their luggage, by courier or post so prices are high and sell-by dates must be checked.

Sanitarium also make “Weet-Bix” (it’s Weetabix) and I don’t know anyone who has tried their Marmite.
    I used to live on Weet-Bix (for breakfast, I mean, not three meals a day) when I was in NZ. It does have a slightly different texture/consistency to Weetabix, not quite as nice I thought. It's slightly more 'flaky' rather than crumbly per se, as I recall.

There was a 'British food' shop in Wellington I used to pass all the time while living there and steadfastly refused to purchase anything from despite occasional temptation. For some reason the only thing I craved from back home that I couldn't get normally was a Galaxy bar, regardless of how mediocre the chocolate is. On the flip side, I learned to enjoy Moro bars (the Antipodean Cadbury 'Mars bar') and Moro Gold (what we'd call a Boost, despite never having eaten the latter back home, weirdly), so it was win some, lose some.

Comment

Good call about Dusty, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        I used to live on Weet-Bix (for breakfast, I mean, not three meals a day) when I was in NZ. It does have a slightly different texture/consistency to Weetabix, not quite as nice I thought. It's slightly more 'flaky' rather than crumbly per se, as I recall.

There was a 'British food' shop in Wellington I used to pass all the time while living there and steadfastly refused to purchase anything from despite occasional temptation. For some reason the only thing I craved from back home that I couldn't get normally was a Galaxy bar, regardless of how mediocre the chocolate is. On the flip side, I learned to enjoy Moro bars (the Antipodean Cadbury 'Mars bar') and Moro Gold (what we'd call a Boost, despite never having eaten the latter back home, weirdly), so it was win some, lose some.
        I will occasionally visit “Treats From Home” in Sydney’s Darling Harbour as there are a few things I crave: Double Deckers, Toffee Crisps and Tunnock’s Caramel (still over a million sold each week?). Mrs. S is partial to a family bag of Minstrels.

Comment

Haha, I've literally just finished eating a Double Decker as I read that! Can still taste it as I type this. They had some reduced duo-sized ones in my local newsagents last week, I hadn't had one in absolutely ages beforehand. It's pretty much the one chocolate bar that's still a really satisfying bite and mouth feel, it seems magically to have avoided being shrunken and slimmed down in the way that everything else has.

Comment

Thread merge: when in the UK I usually buy a Double Decker on those occasions that I find myself inside at a petrol station paying. They’re the thing that leaps out. Yet I never crave one in the US. I do occasionally crave a Tunnocks Caramel, but they can (or at least could) be bought at World Market.

Comment

Billy Bragg, a marmite vocalist if ever there was one, acknowledges the fact with a marmite themed T-shirt on his website.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Florence Welch is a marmite singer. I don't know anyone who would describe her as "alright I suppose".
                Saw her described as 'shouty Enya' online the other day and can't get it out of my head.

Comment

Everyone likes Dusty Springfield’s voice, right?
                  Correct!

Comment

I think the sort of singers who have raspy voices such that they sound as if they need to cough are very divisive. I really like Kim Carnes on "Bette Davis Eyes', for example, but I know for plenty of people it is nails down the blackboard.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post

Saw her described as 'shouty Enya' online the other day and can't get it out of my head.
                      I went from one position to the other on her. I quite liked her first few singles at the time. I find them unlistenable now, and it is down to her voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                        I think the sort of singers who have raspy voices such that they sound as if they need to cough are very divisive. I really like Kim Carnes on "Bette Davis Eyes', for example, but I know for plenty of people it is nails down the blackboard.
                        Bonnie Tyler is the nadir of this category for me. Total Eclipse of the Heart and Holding Out For a Hero are great songs, with enough Steinmany OTT-ness to overcome that croaky, gravelly foghorn voice, but on anything else she's ever done – particularly, heavens forfend, ballads – it's unbearable.

Comment

I can't hear TEOTH without singing "totally shit when I fart".

From now on, neither can you. You're welcome.

Comment

Gratefully accepted, TG, cheers.

I at least already had the unalloyed genius of the Literal Music Video version of the song to fall back on:

Comment

"Mullet with headlights" is an absolute classic.

Comment

That video is batshit.

Comment

I genuinely loved that - one of the best things I've seen on You tube

Comment

Ain't it fantastic? There's a few other artists who have been honoured with the same treatment, and although none live up to the sheer batshit out-there-ness of Total Eclipse, all credit where it's due some difficult vocal styles have been replicated in quite startlingly effective fashion – Take On Me was the song that started the whole thing, for instance:

I think the best other one that I've come across though is Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights:

Comment

Those are great.

Comment

Everyone likes Dusty Springfield’s voice, right?
                                        As far as I know. I'd also add Judith Durham.

Comment

Working...
                                        X