No announcement yet.

Marmite vocalists and universally-liked ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m surprised Muse haven’t featured in this thread yet. For me there’s a vocalist in the same bag as Yorke and Brett Anderson. Completely put me off.

On Marmite, I very much like it, to the extent that in the old times I brought back three jumbo size jars from Waitrose in Dubai. Vegemite I cannot stand; it’s important to be clear just how different these products are.

Comment

Sinatra: gangsters' moll who thought that Ac Apulco was two words.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
        On Marmite, I very much like it, to the extent that in the old times I brought back three jumbo size jars from Waitrose in Dubai.
        Which puts me in mind of one of Tim Vine's finest - "I’m in a great mood tonight because the other day I entered a competition and I won a years supply of Marmite....... one jar"

Comment

Elly whatserchops from La Roux I struggle with massively - shrill as hell. (On the rare occasion that I hear one of her songs, that is.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
            In terms of universally liked there can’t be many people who don’t think Al Green is a fantastic singer.
            There's been some good shouts for universally liked singers but this one in particular I struggle to imagine anyone disagreeing with.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post

Which puts me in mind of one of Tim Vine's finest - "I’m in a great mood tonight because the other day I entered a competition and I won a years supply of Marmite....... one jar"

We should have a thread to see which of us has the oldest jar of Marmite in the cupboard, (rough calculation - BB date minus 3 years).

Comment

I know people who object to Green's religiosity, but that has nothing to do with his voice.

Comment

There are vocalists I dislike - Michael McDonald, for instance. But I don't think that's a "marmite" voice. It's more a boiled egg voice. Something that everyone else likes, or at least finds inoffensive, but for whatever reason I find it almost intolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Elly whatserchops from La Roux I struggle with massively - shrill as hell. (On the rare occasion that I hear one of her songs, that is.)
                    I'm sorry – Ms Jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      There are vocalists I dislike - Michael McDonald, for instance. But I don't think that's a "marmite" voice. It's more a boiled egg voice. Something that everyone else likes, or at least finds inoffensive, but for whatever reason I find it almost intolerable.

Comment

I really don't like anyone whose vocal stylings could be described as staccato taken to extremes, Regina Spektor being a particularly egregious example IMO.

And I really fucking despise Marmite.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          I believe that marmite and vegemite are more like each other than they are like anything else that anyone would put on a sandwich. Or is there a third “mite” product that is closer to something North Americans might recognize as food?
                          It's not got "-mite" in its name, but there's a yeast-extract spread sold in German health-food shops that's similar. It looks like dark-brown spunk and is sweeter (than Marmite or Vegemite), but it's definitely mite-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                            It's not got "-mite" in its name, but there's a yeast-extract spread sold in German health-food shops that's similar. It looks like dark-brown spunk and is sweeter (than Marmite or Vegemite), but it's definitely mite-ish.
                            What's it called?

Comment

The Swiss (particularly Romandie) version is Cenovis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenovis

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

What's it called?
                                I'm not sure. I think it's the generic Brotaufstrich Hefe-Extrakt (yeast-extract spread).

Comment

The boy has developed a taste for Marmite. Costs me 5€ a jar from amazon.de

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    I'm sorry – Ms Jackson?
                                    For real.

Comment

When I lived in New Zealand, one weird thing I discovered there was that the 'Marmite' concept has somehow been split across two different manufacturers.

On the supermarket shelves, there'd be three versions of yeast extract side-by-side: Vegemite, a brand named Marmite but belonging to a different maker (Sanitarium, having just looked it up), and the brand looking like Marmite (with the traditional jar shape) and made by the same people as elsewhere (Unilever) but labelled as Our Mate.

The latter is similar to something I think I'd seen Marmite in this country do as an occasional marketing gimmick, with 'My Mate' in place of the name – but presumably even that was too close to the brand name for it to wash in NZ.

=+

According to their website's FAQ, Sanatarium bought the rights to distribute Marmite in NZ and Australia all the way back in 1908. For some reason, though, they seem to have kept the name but come up with their own variant recipe – according to Wikipedia it includes sugar and caramel. It appears then that when the global brand wanted to enter the Antipodean marketplace later, they had to come up with a new name. To complete the circle, Kiwi Marmite is apparently sold outside the country as NZ-Mite.

I did once do a side-by-side-by-side taste test – which is the only time I've had either this rogue version or Vegemite. As I recall the NZ Marmite is (as you'd imagine from the ingredients) less punchy than the UK version, but similar in look, like black treacle. The Vegemite was if anything even more savoury but less sharp than UK Marmite, in other words I got a strong 'salty' hit but less of the pungency; I recall it being somewhat paler in colour and with a slightly more 'paste' consistency more akin to peanut butter, say.
                                      Last edited by Various Artist; 25-05-2022, 14:35.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                        I'm not sure. I think it's the generic Brotaufstrich Hefe-Extrakt (yeast-extract spread).
                                        They really romance the copy, the Germans do.

Comment

Sanitarium need to look at the packaging for their version of Marmite. Gives it the appearance of a jar of Vaseline, or something you'd rub on your chest.

But it's perhaps not the ideal trade name to put behind a breakfasty spread in the first place...

Comment

Heh, yes indeed 'Sanitarium' isn't exactly an appetising word to see on a foodstuff. But blimey, yeah think of how much rubbing Marmite on your chest would clear your sinuses. Would play havoc with the state of your pyjamas, though.

Comment

All of Various Artist ‘s post above applies to Australia although “Our Mate” tends to be restricted to the “international” sections in supermarkets and for a long time wasn’t available at all. I had to get my Marmite overseas (as above re. Waitrose Dubai) or in a “British Lolly Shop” of which there are one or two in Sydney. But they literally bring their stock in in their luggage, by courier or post so prices are high and sell-by dates must be checked.

Sanitarium also make “Weet-Bix” (it’s Weetabix) and I don’t know anyone who has tried their Marmite.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                Heh, yes indeed 'Sanitarium' isn't exactly an appetising word to see on a foodstuff. But blimey, yeah think of how much rubbing Marmite on your chest would clear your sinuses. Would play havoc with the state of your pyjamas, though.
                                                'I opened the Marmite in my pyjamas.'
                                                'Why would you keep Marmite in your pyjamas?'

Etc.

Comment

Cleo Laine

I was one of the "no" brigade

Comment

Everyone likes Dusty Springfield’s voice, right?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X