No announcement yet.

R&B and Soul Classics (1945-1975 or so)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvellous Marvin Gaye again, with the Northern Soul classic This Love Starved Heart Of Mine (It's Killing Me)

Comment

Youtube playlist link, hopefully if you see the link, you can see the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CHJRTVm1aVFQny

-----

This always happens when I start listening to Aretha, I keep returning to this track:

Comment

Comment

"What's the matter with you Rock?"

Comment

One from my old care and shares:

(https://genius.com/Curtis-mayfield-kung-fu-lyrics)

Last edited by matt j; 13-01-2022, 15:37.

Comment

James Brown, "I've Got to Change"

Comment

How about a bit of acappella?

The Persuasions with Don't Look Back.

Comment

George Jackson is best known as a song writer for The Osmonds (One Bad Apple), Bob Seger (Old Time Rock 'n Roll), Oris Clay, Yazz and others (The Only Way is Up) Wilson Pickett, Clarence Carter, Candy Staton etc etc. But this is him singing the archetypal Hi Records Willie Mitchel type song.

Comment

Good shout on The Persuasions, their 'Street Corner Symphony' album is the greatest acapela album of all time, imho. Here is the first half, the magnificent opening track 'Buffalo Soldier still gives me goose bumps to this day. This is immediately followed by a lovely cover of Sam Cook's 'Good Times', do yourself a favour and invest five minutes to listen to them.

Comment

1971 - Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band. A track from You're So Beautiful that I first knew when Robert Palmer covered it on Some People Can Do What They Like. Written and sung by drummer James Gadson who, along with three other band members, left to join Bill Withers and can be heard on Bill's Live At Carnegie Hall record or seen,on his 1973 BBC concert.

Comment

Driftin' Blues - Bobby "Blue" Bland, 1968:

His earlier version from 1952 is even better. Check out especially that wail from 1:04:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-01-2022, 01:58.

Comment

James Carr - The Dark End of the Street. I imagine that Van Morrison took a lot from this record, not just the title but the whole style:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-01-2022, 02:03.

Comment

It's kind of classic. Many versions of it. Great song.

Comment

Over the Mountain by Johnnie and Joe. The background mumblin' and hummin' is really what makes this cut. That and the occasionally squawky falsetto. The spoken ending is what really slays me though. "Well here I am... over the mountain." Says an irate Johnnie, pacing up and down outside the movie theatre. Meanwhile Joe is still struggling to get over a mountain and swim a sea in order make the last showing. Brilliant.

Comment

Another one that cared/shared back in the day. stone cold classic:

Comment

more Pickett:

Comment

Not enough Meters yet.

Comment

Big part of the transition from Jump Blues to R'n'R was Big Maybelle's (Mabel Smith) recording of Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (1955). Like Willie Mae Thornton's recording of Hound Dog, it was 'stolen' by Southern white boy. However, in both cases the versions are very different and equally magnificent. This single was also one of Quincy Jones's first credits as a producer.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                                        Baby Huey. 'Hard Times' from 'Living Legend' (1971).
                                        Such a great album. His cover of "A Change Is Gonna Come" is mindblowing.

Comment

I can offer a lot of soul mixes, covering the years 1960-64 in the first collection, and then one per year after that. With a few words on the background of some of the lesser known acts featured.

And the 1970s are covered, by year (and in some cases by theme, such as blaxploitation movie songs) HERE.

Plus, if you like soul covers of mostly non-soul songs, there's a lot in the Covered With Soul series.

Comment

Aretha Franklin - Eleanor Rigby, live at Antibes, 1970:

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              James Carr - The Dark End of the Street. I imagine that Van Morrison took a lot from this record, not just the title but the whole style:

HIs version of To love somebody was cared and shared many years ago. This is fucking amazing. His version even beats Nina Simone's

Comment

War's 'Me And Baby Brother' from 'Deliver The Word' (1973).

Comment

I've not posted anything from Dave Godin's Deep Soul compilations, because everyone reading this thread has surely got them (or at least volumes 1&2) but there is the nagging suspicion that perhaps there are people out there who don't. So for those people, here's Reuben Bell & The Casanovas - It's Not That Easy

Comment

Ask The Lonely - Four Tops

Comment

Working...
                                                    X