No announcement yet.

R&B and Soul Classics (1945-1975 or so)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cry To Me - Betty Harris (Solomon Burke cover)(1963)

His Kiss - Betty Harris (1964)

Nearer To You - Betty Harris (1967)

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-04-2022, 21:37.

Comment

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band. 'Too Much Time' from 1972.

Comment

Seems we've got to six pages without one of the greatest vocal performances of all time:

Stay With Me (Baby)Lorraine Ellison.

And it would never have happened if Frank Sinatra hadn't cancelled a studio session

Comment

Down a recent wormhole, picking up from UNKLE's single 'If We Don't Make It, Nobody Can', featuring Michael Kiwanuka (the Ronin edit is an awesome version), I found the original from which it was sampled. Tom Brock - of whom I've not heard until today, with a beautiful Barry White-produced mostly instrumental banger.

Comment

'Don't Change Your Love' by the Five Stairsteps from 1968.

Comment

The Main Ingredient's 1970 cover of 'I'm So Proud' by The Impressions (1963)

Comment

I Do - Marvelows (1965). Very lively, great brass by the Impressions' arranger Johnny Pate. Sadly they forgot to write any lyrics but it's a good dance record that you could imagine on the Northern Soul circuit:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-05-2022, 10:10.

Comment

This song feels like it's going to fall off a cliff because the melody is quite challenging but it somehow works:

Yes, I’m Ready - Barbara Mason (1965)

Comment

Candy - The Astors (written by Steve Cropper and Isaac Hayes at Stax, 1965)

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-06-2022, 18:57.

Comment

Tower Of Power - 'There's Only So Much Oil In The Ground' (1975).

Comment

This is amazing: For Your Love - Sam & Bill (1965), cover of a 1958 Ed Townsend hit Conducted by Johnny Nash but far more gospel-inspired than Nash's own work.

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-06-2022, 12:16.

Comment

Only a Fool Breaks His Own Heart - Arthur Prysock (1965)

Comment

Gone For Good - O.V. Wright (1966)

Comment

James Carr - You got my mind Messed Up (1966)

O.V. Wright and James Carr were both discovered by Roosevelt Jamison

https://www.peterguralnick.com/post/...ison-1936-2013
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-06-2022, 10:54.

Comment

Johnnie Taylor - I Had A Dream (1966), his first hit (Stax 186):

Comment

Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces - Searching For My Love (1966, Checker 1129)

And yes, it was in the charts when Bobby should have been training for the World Cup.

Comment

Patrice Rushen's 'Let Your Heart Be Free' from 'Shout It Out' (1977).

Comment

The Vontastics - Day Tripper (1966)

Comment

Money Won't Change You - James Brown (1966)

Comment

Love Is A Hurtin Thing - Lou Rawls (1966)

Comment

And I Love Her - The Vibrations (1966)

Comment

Sam Dees - 'Child Of The Streets' (1975).

Comment

Thought this thread needed some Bobby Womack - 'That's The Way I Feel About Cha'

Comment

I went off Bobby a bit when I found out that he had sex with Linda Cooke (son of Sam, future wife of Cecil Womack) when she was 17 and he was married to her mother.

Comment

Ahhh man, you don't even know 5% of it, it got way more complicated than that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X