No announcement yet.

New Music for 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm calling bullshit on the new Low album. It's a godless mess of a fucking racket. Maybe I don't hit the right mood for this kind of stuff any more.

Comment

I'll go here instead of the pop will not eat itself thread. An Indian hardcore band but with an At the Drive In, Rage Against the Machine, Refused vibe.

Comment

Digging that DM, definiitely feeling the AtDI vibes.

So after giving the album a good three or so listens through, Deafheaven's Infinite Granite, is indeed, very good. It's much more shoegaze than black metal when it comes to the genres that they typically blend together, continuing the trend that they'd been moving along from album to album, with the vocals being 90% or so classic singing rather than screaming. The best thing about this change in sound is that it really highlights how good the rhythm section is, which could be drowned out in their earlier stuff. Even if the sound is noticeably different, it's still recognizable as Deafheaven.

Comment

Rid of Me, "Myself" (has a bit of a Pretty Girls Make Graves feel to it and also a little bit of Silversun Pickups)

I should add a warning that the video flickers a lot and won't be good viewing if such images affect you in some way. If that's the case go to the bandcamp link below.

https://ridofme.bandcamp.com/
          Last edited by danielmak; 05-10-2021, 01:43.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
            I'm calling bullshit on the new Low album. It's a godless mess of a fucking racket. Maybe I don't hit the right mood for this kind of stuff any more.
            There's something in the way that's Sparhawk's guitar has been produced. It's not a 'godless mess' (to me, anyway), but it's clearly not intended to sound pretty.

(I found that The Great Destroyer did some weird things with my woofers and tweeters, as well, FWIW.)

Comment

Slightly surprised to see no mention of Opus Kink in this thread, a mental sounding horn driven band with serious late Clash/Pop Group type vibes, their tune 'This Train' is my song of the year so far, and I'm desperately wanting to see them live.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post
                Slightly surprised to see no mention of Opus Kink in this thread, a mental sounding horn driven band with serious late Clash/Pop Group type vibes, their tune 'This Train' is my song of the year so far, and I'm desperately wanting to see them live.
                Bit of Nick Cave and Gallon Drunk in there as well

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                  Reviews coming in suggest Wet Leg are coming along as a pretty great live band (which is also to say they have more than one tune). Rhian is a pretty impressive musician and this is very different than her solo stuff.
                  And now the follow up...

Comment

'Talk Memory', the new album from Toronto-based BadBadNotGood is excellent. This is 'Beside April'. (Great video too).

Comment

Fans of dreamy shoegaze pop may well enjoy 'Port', the new offering from Hull's finest BDRMM.

Had to chuckle at a description I noted of Yard Act, a band that I find incredibly boring and struggle to understand the hype that surrounds them. Anyway, someone described them as 'like The Fall with Graham Lister fronting them', so whenever they come on the radio now all I hear is "I know doctors, dentists and lawyers, Reeves!"

Comment

I don't dislike Yard Act as such, but they do rather seem to be the latest on a production-line of touted bands possessing a certain sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          I don't dislike Yard Act as such, but they do rather seem to be the latest on a production-line of touted bands possessing a certain sound.
                          "This", as they say. It's often a case of those songs sounding really clever on first listen but not standing up well to repeated listens, which is bit self defeating. The sound seems to be sticking around for now though,

Comment

To me, it sounds like they've taken 'LeBron James' by Do Nothing and sped it up, and changed the lyrics for about 5 songs now.

Comment

After spending the last few years basically listening to little to no new music, 2021 seems to really be producing some sensitive indie jingle jangle masterpieces. I've currently got "Bauhaus, L'Appartamento" on repeat and it gets better with every listen.

This has to be one of my favourite songs of 2021:

Comment

Catchy minimal electropop from Brooklyn's Ghost Piss.

Comment

Musical polymath Matthew Herbert serves up a wonderful collection of quirky yet strangely beautiful songs on new album 'Musca'. This is 'Might As Well Be Magical' featuring vocalist Allie Armstrong.

Comment

Wedding Present

Comment

New Spiritualized song released with album coming out late Feb.

Comment

The new Ed Sheeran album is, according to Ed, "about turning 30, becoming a dad, and balancing work and marriage". Sounds like an absolute fucking thriller.

Comment

The kids deserve so much better. (Not 'his' kids, I'm sure they're fine.)

I'm liking Ghost Piss.

Comment

The new Ed Sheeran album is, according to Ed, "about turning 30, becoming a dad, and balancing work and marriage". Sounds like an absolute fucking thriller.
                                            It's funny. My daughter and I were going to pick up some food on Tuesday night and Sheerhan's new single came on the pop station and sounded like it fit in perfectly (in the same way as that shape of your body song). Seems like he has turned 30 and wants to be a real pop star versus a top 40 guy who is making music that might appeal to pop fans and rock fans.

Comment

Somewhat long-form video for Forever At Last by Melbourne indie goth-pop trio HighSchool.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                                It's funny. My daughter and I were going to pick up some food on Tuesday night and Sheerhan's new single came on the pop station and sounded like it fit in perfectly (in the same way as that shape of your body song). Seems like he has turned 30 and wants to be a real pop star versus a top 40 guy who is making music that might appeal to pop fans and rock fans.
                                                Whichever, I wish he wouldn't.

Comment

Arlo Parks has been going down very well the past few weeks here too. Matt Berninger's solo album as well.
                                                  This one by Parks has a personal meaning:

This one is relatively lighter:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-11-2021, 19:44.

Comment

Phoenix by Big Red Machine is gorgeous:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X