No announcement yet.

Covers: Better than the originals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard The Police three different times on the radio today and on two different stations and realized the stations were responding to the reissue of their doc tour film, although none of the songs played were live versions. Anyway, hearing the songs had me look up what was going on, found about the reissue and saw this clip. But I would go with the Leatherface version even though this live version is really good.

Comment

Betty Harris's cover of Cry To Me is probably my most played 7" single of all time.

Comment

Most of my posts have suggested interesting covers, but not better covers. I assume this one might be more controversial but for me this one is better than the original.

And this one is also better

I guess I like Kate Bush's songs but her voice doesn't work for me. Too squeaky and too operatic.

Comment

Operatic OK, but squeaky?

Comment

https://youtu.be/U43Fkr4HV3Q

Live performance, but you get the idea.

Comment

I'm getting an ABBA vibe

https://youtu.be/2LAYvKZB_8w

Comment

https://youtu.be/EeuGEWvmwCA

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                  Most of my posts have suggested interesting covers, but not better covers. I assume this one might be more controversial but for me this one is better than the original.

And this one is also better

I guess I like Kate Bush's songs but her voice doesn't work for me. Too squeaky and too operatic.
                  Pretty sure we've been here before (possibly started by me).

The Futureheads effort is great, sure, but that Placebo cover is woeful in comparison to the original.

Comment

I'm in a rilin' mood, so here are some new candidates:

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      Operatic OK, but squeaky?
                      Surely Brian Molko's voice would be "squeakier" to most ears than Kate Bush's? Although he's gone for his breathier register for that cover, it's usually quite adenoidal.

Comment

Listen to the first 30 seconds. Squeaky. Haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

Comment

I wouldn't describe it as such. A little pitchy, sure but not squeaky. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

And incredibly, 44 years on from Wuthering Heights, she's back in the Top Ten as of this evening's publication of the latest singles chart:

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/

Comment

It's probably already been mentioned, but it bears repeating.

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

Comment

Betcha by Golly Way by The Stylistics was a cover because Connie Stevens did the original. However it was composed by the group's regular writers, Thom Bell and Linda Creed so I am confused as to why they gave it to a white singer-actress.

Comment

Not better but still good: Because / You Never Give Me Your Money · Booker T. & The M.G.'s

Count Basie's Michelle successfully takes it back to the 30s in a way I like (lovely warm brass and a gorgeous mute trumpet):

Comment

More Beatles instrumentals, with both Booker T and Basie included, but with different songs.

Comment

Comment

As much for the video as the interpretation

Comment

My favourite of the plentiful Laibach covers, and one that is much better than the original (admittedly a very low bar in this case):-

Comment

I don’t know if this better, but it’s a jam.

Comment

Killers live covering CCR-Bad Moon Rising/Brazil, decime que se siente....

Comment

I might be biased because Thea is my wife's best friend and my dog's favourite human being in the entire world, but I prefer this to the original.

Last edited by The_Purple_Cow; 22-07-2022, 20:28.

Comment

Also, I've become obsessed with Eddie Hazel lately...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
                                                    I might be biased because Thea is my wife's best friend and my dog's favourite human being in the entire world, but I prefer this to the original.

My ex-girlfriend was obsessed by Thea Gilmore. I saw her at Gloucester Guildhall once and it was a lovely evening.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X