Covers: Better than the originals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
    Nirvana's Man Who Sold The World is infinitely better than Lulu's weedy version and is a nudge better than Bowies too
    Hahahaha. Oh, bless you for that. Nirvana cover better than Bowie original. Ah, that's made my day.

Comment

In a cross-thread thing - Alva Noto's cover of The Cure's A Forest pulls its pants down and gives it a wedgie.

Comment

Nirvana's Man Who Sold The World is infinitely better than Lulu's weedy version and is a nudge better than Bowies too
        I like Barbra Streisand's take on RN's I Think It's Going To Rain Today too. I'm not sure it's better, but it's worth having both versions.

And, to get one back for Lulu, her version of Here Comes The Night, is at least as good as Van's — though quite different
        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 28-12-2020, 01:05.

Comment

I would go with Bowie's original over Nirvana's cover. Although I do like twee stuff, I would take Nirvana's cover of "Molly's Lips" over The Vaselines' original. (I assume there will be some disagreement about that take.)

Vaselines

Nirvana

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I love both versions of that song. Never heard of The Interrupters before, but I'll be looking them up now.
            Nor had I. Three brothers and a female vocalist and in interviews they all come across as nice people.

They don't seem to put out many records.

Comment

Nirvana recorded some good covers, but I've never especially rated their version of TMWSTW - and would only have the temerity to place it above the original as part of some kind of bizarre dare.

Assisted by Bowie's own input, Lulu's version was pretty darned good IMO.

Comment

I'm not feeling the Lulu version. I'd go Nirvana over that version. I had not heard Lulu's version until it was discussed here.

I like the cover The Wallflowers did of "Heroes" (though not better than Bowie's version.

Comment

Dinosaur Jr make Just Like Heaven soar.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                    I'm not feeling the Lulu version. I'd go Nirvana over that version. I had not heard Lulu's version until it was discussed here.

I like the cover The Wallflowers did of "Heroes" (though not better than Bowie's version.

Re: Heroes

Motorhead never pisses around when they do a cover - this one came out after Lemmy's death and I'm damned impressed to see it has over 43 million views.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J06yQb4lbPk

Comment

K D Langs acoustic version of Crying, blows The Big O's version away.

Comment

Jesus.

Comment

This is a tough one for me but Hole wins by a nose:

Original by The Wipers

Cover by Hole

Comment

Maybe not better than the originals but Sylvian Chauveau's LP of Depeche Mode covers is worth a listen (Down to the Bone - an acoustic tribute). A slower tempo and played on clarinets, piano, cello, viola and electronics with a more subdued vocal delivery.

Comment

If cover LPs are your thing, Laibach's 'Let It Be' is worth a listen; the original album covered in full, with the obvious exception of the title track (well, I say 'obvious'...) in a number of styles, some to better effect than others. 'Across The Universe' would be my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                I would go with Bowie's original over Nirvana's cover. Although I do like twee stuff, I would take Nirvana's cover of "Molly's Lips" over The Vaselines' original. (I assume there will be some disagreement about that take.)

Vaselines

Nirvana

The Vaselines did a great live acoustic version of Molly’s Lips on some US radio station. The song is actually about Scottish actress Molly Weir star of Rentaghost and the Flash adverts - amongst other things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kov4p64Ss

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

The Vaselines did a great live acoustic version of Molly’s Lips on some US radio station. The song is actually about Scottish actress Molly Weir star of Rentaghost and the Flash adverts - amongst other things

There are a variety of community/public radio stations in the US (i.e., funded by listener donations mostly and don't air commercials other than "this hour is sponsored by stuff). These kinds of live sets can be found on most of these non-commercials stations, which was an effort to keep listeners who were shifting to streaming. KEXP in Seattle and KCRW in Los Angeles are two of the bigger stations (wattage, listenership, and an ability to land bigger bands).

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Not really on topic, but would that make Molly and Tom Weir a brother and sister who both had songs written about them?

Comment

Chris Farlowe's version of Out of Time is markedly better than the Stones original.

Just read up on it and it's worth noting that Jagger had originally written it with Farlowe in mind, and ended up producing Farlowe's version. Later versions of the song recorded by the Stones includes the orchestral backing track used on Farlowe's version rather than the Marimba led one they originally made.

Comment

Johnny Nash's 'Stir It Up' (1973) is surprisingly good and perhaps better than the Wailers' 1967 version (although the Wailers would surpass both with the 'Catch A Fire' album version).

Nash 1973:

Wailers 1967:

Wailers 1973 (released after Nash's):

Comment

Ray Charles, 'Eleanor Rigby', Dick Cavett Show, 18.9.72:

Comment

Dancing On My Own - Kings of Leon:

Comment

Nej

Comment

Yeah, the original is better.

Comment

Ajax fans will lynch me for this, but I prefer this version of what is now the official club song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO69khOO150

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                    In a cross-thread thing - Alva Noto's cover of The Cure's A Forest pulls its pants down and gives it a wedgie.
                                                    So it's been a while since I looked in on this thread and as expected it's a car crash of wrong.
                                                    I gave this a go. Started OK, takes the atmospheric keyboard opening and replicates it exactly except for swapping the plinky guitar for a plinky keyboard. So far so boring.
                                                    Then it didn't change. For the whole track, it was just the same 4 bars over and over again. Note I like a bit of ambient. But this was so quarter arsed I could have done it. And I don't have a keyboard.

I'll just about live with Langy's comment on Dinosaur Jr. It's the only acceptable Cure cover ever, although way short of the original. But Depeche Mode on clarinets?! Give me strength.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X