The greatest individual noise in any record ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one that Lemmy was involved with - the whooshing phaser noise on Silver Machine.

Comment

About 1:20 in, the twangs the thang!

Comment

Fire and Silver Machine - both fine entries.

Comment

Don't know anyone who hasn't been won over by the whistling in this, especially at the end!

Comment

Never heard of them, but I've just been won over too!

Comment

The parpy organ solo in Del Shannon's "Runaway"
              The descending synth line in Bowie's "Sound And Vision".
              The 'woop - woop - woop' in The Orb's "Blue Room"

Comment

The way the guitar lick is scratched in by the DJ on Run DMC vs Aerosmith's "Walk This Way". Imagine being the man behind the decks about to slice that in.

The organ on "The Liquidator" and, in similar mode, "96 Tears".

The door slamming sound on Wiley's "Ice Rink"

Public Enemy and Duane Eddy are good shouts for sure.

Comment

The synthy "boo boo!" drum noise in Kelly Marie's Feels Like I'm In Love (0:14 to 0:20 in this superb video).

The bass/wah wah combo in Roy Budd's Final Option (from the start).

And the animal - wildcat, presumably - noise in Ratatat's Wildcat (0:16 to 0:20).

Comment

The "Oh" that Hetfield makes after the gap and just a millisecond before the guitars kick in in the middle of "Enter Sandman"

The "Tss-Tss" hi-hat sound on it's own on the chorus/bridge bit on "Cissy Strut" by the Meters

The "Caaaaaaaaaahhm on, come on" at the start of "Leader of the Gang" by Gary Glitter

The repeating guitar sample sound at the start of "Cowboys From Hell" by Pantera (although the bass that kicks in after the intro is probably better)

Comment

The beginning of Prince-Get Off

Comment

Squarewheelbike wrote:
                        Don't know anyone who hasn't been won over by the whistling in this, especially at the end!

Wow, Liliput were clearly very, uh, fond of X-Ray Spex, weren't they.

Comment

My current earworm is the synth bit in Crazy Horses, so I'll nominate that.

Comment

Yes, have to agree with Sean on this:

although the ending shriek of Devo's Gut Feeling is up there.

Comment

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                The trumpet sample on Public Enemy's Rebel Without A Pause that sounds like a screeching kettle
                                Coo-ee, over here!

Comment

The motorbike in 'Leader of the Pack'.

Comment

A sort of cough/snort noise made, presumably by MES, after 2:04 of 'Elves' off of Wonderful and Frightening World.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                      My current earworm is the synth bit in Crazy Horses, so I'll nominate that.
                                      I once heard a "Top Of The Tops" cover album version of that. They obviously didn't have the budget to get the same synth that made that noise, so recorded the singers making horse noises instead!

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                        The trumpet sample on Public Enemy's Rebel Without A Pause that sounds like a screeching kettle.
                                        You can thank The J.B.'s, specifically Clayton Gunnels, for that.

Edit: or, what Matej said last page.

Comment

Not saying it's the greatest, but I like the digital watch hour "beep beep" alarm that goes off in the Flaming Lips' "What Is the Light"?

Comment

meregreen wrote:
                                            I really love that cascading synth that comes in for the chorus of Joy Division's Atmosphere.
                                            Yeh, or the bass intros to Transmission and Isolation.

The 'WAAAAAAAAAAH' synth sound from New Order's Finetime that rips across the speakers at 1.48

Comment

The aborted kazoo solo at the end of That Man by the Fall.

At least I think it's a kazoo. I've just listend to it again and it might be a swazzle.

Comment

Good call on "Crazy Horse".

I love the guitar on "Bat Out Of Hell" that sounds lke a motorbike (I tink it's Todd Rundgren playing it).

As for great voice moment, two Elvis moments spring to mind. The indecipherable ad lib right at the end of "Hound Dog", and the "Mmmmm" on the flip side, "Don't Be Cruel".

Comment

When the Memphis Horns kick in at 2.22 of Otis Redding's Just One More Day

Comment

When the drums, guitars, and bass come back in Fela Kuti's Gentleman (2:26), and then when the rest of the horns kick back in (3:09).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X