The greatest individual noise in any record ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've of the belief that the synth noise at 2:51-3:03 in "Sideshow" by Barry Biggs is the greatest individual noise in any record ever.

Imagine how much fun it must have been to be the keyboardist in his backing band, just standing there through the song, waiting for your moment to do THAT.

What are your favourite individual noises on records?

I've always thought that the only truly enjoyable bit of Frankie's Two Tribes is the brief xylophone interlude. Lovely sound, that.

3:23 to 3:30 in this mix.

Comment

Very tempted to say the feedback intro to 'I Feel Fine' or the snare intro to 'Like A Rolling Stone'

I realise that's a very boring answer. I'll come back later when I think of something good.

Anyway, this topic reminds me of this piece in Word magazine entitled 40 Pieces That Built Pop.

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/40noises

Comment

The drum intro to 'Overkill' by Motorhead. Specifically, the live verion

The bass intro to 'Motorhead'from the same album is awesome as well.

This is before Metallica, Slayer and thrash metal, remember

Comment

David Lee Roth's screams/yelps, as featured on 'Running With the Devil'

Comment

I really love that cascading synth that comes in for the chorus of Joy Division's Atmosphere.

Comment

The big "ejaculation" sound two-thirds of the way through Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Ties in nicely with the gay S&M themes of the video.

Trevor Horn apparently got the effect by dropping various objects into buckets of liquid.

Comment

John Bonham’s drum intro to Led Zeppelin’s When The Levee Breaks released on 8th November 1971.

A sound so large that it actually travelled through time and roared into 1972 causing the RMS Queen Elizabeth to be set on fire and sink in Hong Kong harbour, turbo boosted the ailing Mariner space probe to Mars allowing us to see photos of the red planet for the first time, threw Richard Nixon over the Pacific to Beijing to meet Chairman Mao, initiated the Vietcong’s Easter offensive, disrupted Boris Spassky making him move his black bishop to a4 instead of b5 allowing Bobby Fischer to win the world chess championship and caused Alan Clarke’s goal bound shot to hit the post against Wolves resulting in the loss for Leeds United that gave Brian Clough’s Derby County the first division title for the first time in their history.

Seminal.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                  This.

Comment

The opening chord of "A Hard Day's Night".

Btw, when you google that song title now, the first dozen or so hits you get are for some f***ing hotel in Liverpool.

Comment

I don't know if it's the greatest individual noise or whatever, but the first second or so of the Jackson Five's I Want You Back does it for me. And the whole intro is, of course, out of this world.

Comment

The long distorted note in 'After the Flood' by Talk Talk.

Comment

I don't know about greatest, but the massive industrial clang during the interlude of Radiohead's Fitter Happier almost made me crash my car.

Comment

"Can I just say - you're all wrong ...and you're grotesquely ugly freaks! Thanks."

It is - obviously - the 'Weeeooowww, weeeooowww, weeeooowww' at 1'50'' of Tubeways Army's 'We Have A Technical'.

The end.

Comment

robw wrote:
                              Very tempted to say the feedback intro to 'I Feel Fine' or the snare intro to 'Like A Rolling Stone'

I realise that's a very boring answer. I'll come back later when I think of something good.
                              Not at all. I was going to mention the snare/cymbal intro to Get Off My Cloud by the Stones. So spare yet so full at the same time.

Comment

Probably not the greatest etc., etc., but the first noise on a record that made me think "What was that?" was the gurgle or sigh or grunt or whatever it is that Gary Glitter emits after he's sung, "I'm back, I'm back, as a matter of fact, as a matter of fact, I'm BACK" on Hello, Hello I'm Back Again.

The noise that always makes me laugh, which is also a great thing in its own way, is the sound of the vomit falling into the toilet bowl on Peter and the Test Tube Babies' Being Sick.

Comment

The synth noise at the start of Human League's Love Action, followed closely by the gunshot from Seconds from the same album.

Close the thread.

Comment

When the bass kicks in on ABC's 'Show Me'. Always a delight to hear.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:

The bass intro to 'Motorhead'from the same album is awesome as well.

This is before Metallica, Slayer and thrash metal, remember
                                      Both excellent. Lemmy's bass solos on Stay Clean and Leaving Here are brutal. Fast Eddie's intro chords to Love Me Like A Reptile also rip.

I'll throw some others in:

•Topper intro to: Safe European Home, Tommy Gun, and many more.
                                      •Alice Cooper's scream in the middle of Halo of Flies.

but probably my favorite,
                                      Deep Purple - HUSH noise opener intro (after dog howls - :14 in)

Comment

The car door being closed at the beginning of Autobahn. The sound never fails to make the crowd go absolutely bonkers at Kraftwerk concerts.

I also agree on the When The Levee Breaks drum intro.

Comment

In Dylan’s Like a Rolling Stone I always loved the in-pain-but-not-pain “aawwe” sound he makes before each verse.

The distorted/feedback guitar “solo” on Try Not To Breathe is also mellifluously wonderful.

Comment

The modulated 'hand claps' on Feeling Satisfied by Boston.

I'm not sure how they did them but they don't sound like human hands clapping. And they clap in a strange time as well.

Comment

The trumpet sample on Public Enemy's Rebel Without A Pause that sounds like a screeching kettle.

Comment

Daltrey's scream in Wont Get Fooled Again
                                                Gillan's laugh in Speed King

Comment

I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE AND I BRING YOU.....

Comment

Working...
                                                  X