X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
    Prefab Sprout likely have a few
    "purblind" ('Ghost Town Blues')

Tom Lehrer, who is still alive and has just released all his songs into the public domain, used "smidgen" in 'Poisoning Pigeons In The Park'.

Comment

Did Verisimilitude by Teenage Fanclub get mentioned already?

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

"purblind" ('Ghost Town Blues')

Tom Lehrer, who is still alive and has just released all his songs into the public domain, used "smidgen" in 'Poisoning Pigeons In The Park'.
        Lehrer is fab.

Comment

Surely the standout was Edwyn Collins using 'allegorically' on Girl Like You, not only that but making it rhyme.

I'd move you ban The Fall and Half Man Half Biscuit from this to give everyone else a chance and avoid an Old Firm/Scotland tedium shit-show , 'Jarg Armani in the car, always comes in through Stranraer probalby just about a hat-trick in two lines there and Mark E wrote songs in Esperanto.

Wreckless Eric's got to be in there, whole French phrases in Reconnez Cherie that make no sense, pac-a-mac making an appearance, got to be more.

Comment

Surely this man wins.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
              The winning song is Nature of the Threat by Ras Kass. So many words you only find in that song. The lyrics are a regurgitated mess of half-digested history, a Roget's Thesaurus, and the obsessively homophobic rantings of your second cousin who no-one in your family talks about...
              Amazing track that.

I’m going to for Abba’s “Name Of The Game”, if not
              already mentioned: “I’m a bashful child, beginning to grow.”

Comment

Supercalifragilifsticexpialidocious

Comment

Originally posted by RobM View Post
                  Surely the standout was Edwyn Collins using 'allegorically' on Girl Like You, not only that but making it rhyme.

[...]

Wreckless Eric's got to be in there, whole French phrases in Reconnez Cherie that make no sense, pac-a-mac making an appearance, got to be more.
                  Obviously Edwyn had previous for this (verbosity/varying pop songs' vocabulary) in Orange Juice.
                  Aztec Camera ​Down the Dip mentions a pac-a-mac

Comment

Madness dedicated a whole song to Pac-a-Mac. And their Liberty of Norton Folgate song includes 'transience' 'archipelago' 'technicolor' 'inarticulate' 'inordinate' 'vivacity' 'discordantly'

Comment

Godley & Creme, late of 10cc, spoke of a Pac-a-Mac in their 1982 flop single Snack Attack.

As you can easily deduce, said garment made for a useful rhyme.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                        Supercalifragilifsticexpialidocious
                        Although according to Wikipedia that's not entirely true...

Legal action

In 1965, the song was the subject of an unsuccessful lawsuit by songwriters Gloria Parker and Barney Young against Wonderland Music, Disney's music publishing subsidiary, and publisher of the song from the film.[11] The plaintiffs alleged that it was a copyright infringement of their 1949 song "Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus". Also known as "The Super Song", it was recorded by Alan Holmes and His New Tones for Columbia Records, with vocal by Hal Marquess and the Holmes Men, and music and lyrics by Patricia Smith (a Gloria Parker pen name) and Don Fenton.[4][12] Another recording of "Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus", performed by The Arabian Knights and published by Gloro Records, was released in 1951. The Disney publishers won the lawsuit in part because they produced affidavits showing that "variants of the word were known ... many years prior to 1949".[12]

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                          Madness dedicated a whole song to Pac-a-Mac. And their Liberty of Norton Folgate song includes 'transience' 'archipelago' 'technicolor' 'inarticulate' 'inordinate' 'vivacity' 'discordantly'
                          Funnily enough Eric's last album was called Transcience.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                            Maybe Beatlemania in London Calling?
                            We Didn't Start the Fire included it, in the same decade (sic).

Comment

Jona Lewie uses the term "presidencies" in Stop The Cavalry.

Comment

I’m sure one or two of these aren’t unique but:

Big Audio Dynamite’s Medicine Show includes the words ceilings, medicinally, tarred and feathered.

Probably some others in there.

Comment

Lionel Richie would like a word…

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    Lionel Richie would like a word…
                                    Yes, and Blancmange, now I think about it.

Comment

The Black Keys too.

Comment

Sweet Harmony by The Beloved came on the radio today, and it gives a Lyricwhack with 'ecologically.'

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          This site is a good one to check for uniqueness:

https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/frolic
                                          Well that site has absolutely scuppered most ideas I had!

I think I'm on safe ground though with one of my favourite Yeasayer songs, 'I Am Chemistry'. The whole album it's from surprisingly is not in the database on that site, but there don't seem to be any other songs containing compounds such as NaCN, C4H10FO2P, and sulphur dichloride. More of a surprise that oleander, ethylene, and digoxin do appear elsewhere.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that What's New Pussycat is the only song ever to end with the word nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                              I'm pretty sure that What's New Pussycat is the only song ever to end with the word nose.
                                              Sing a Song of Sixpence?

Comment

Supercalifragilisticsadomasochism by Foetus must be one?

Comment

Not checked these but both off songs heard recently

"Bupkiss" - Drinking in LA by Bran Van 3000
                                                  "Kookiness" - Trash by Suede

Comment

Surely Afternoons And Coffeespoons by Crash Test Dummies has the only "bronchi"?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X