Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furtho
    replied
    It doesn't seem to be on this thread, but every time we do this it falls either to me or, previously, Spearmint Rhino, to mention "imbecile" in Men Without Hats' The Safety Dance.

My old band, and so definitely not complying with johnr 's plaintive "hit records only" pleas, had a song - lyrics not written by me - which included the word "rumourmongers" and elsewhere referred to a Luton van.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    A quick Google suggests you could be right there.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Surely Afternoons And Coffeespoons by Crash Test Dummies has the only "bronchi"?
    I can't imagine too many songs feature 'coffeespoons' as a single word, either.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Surely Afternoons And Coffeespoons by Crash Test Dummies has the only "bronchi"?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Not checked these but both off songs heard recently

"Bupkiss" - Drinking in LA by Bran Van 3000
    "Kookiness" - Trash by Suede

Leave a comment:

• Gert from the Well
    replied
    Supercalifragilisticsadomasochism by Foetus must be one?

Leave a comment:

• Oldelpaso
    replied
    Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
    I'm pretty sure that What's New Pussycat is the only song ever to end with the word nose.
    Sing a Song of Sixpence?

Leave a comment:

• Logan Mountstuart
    replied
    I'm pretty sure that What's New Pussycat is the only song ever to end with the word nose.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    This site is a good one to check for uniqueness:

https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/frolic
    Well that site has absolutely scuppered most ideas I had!

I think I'm on safe ground though with one of my favourite Yeasayer songs, 'I Am Chemistry'. The whole album it's from surprisingly is not in the database on that site, but there don't seem to be any other songs containing compounds such as NaCN, C4H10FO2P, and sulphur dichloride. More of a surprise that oleander, ethylene, and digoxin do appear elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• irony towers
    replied
    Sweet Harmony by The Beloved came on the radio today, and it gives a Lyricwhack with 'ecologically.'

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    The Black Keys too.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Lionel Richie would like a word…
    Yes, and Blancmange, now I think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Lionel Richie would like a word…

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    I’m sure one or two of these aren’t unique but:

Big Audio Dynamite’s Medicine Show includes the words ceilings, medicinally, tarred and feathered.

Probably some others in there.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Jona Lewie uses the term "presidencies" in Stop The Cavalry.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by ale View Post
    Maybe Beatlemania in London Calling?
    We Didn't Start the Fire included it, in the same decade (sic).

Leave a comment:

• RobM
    replied
    Originally posted by ale View Post
    Madness dedicated a whole song to Pac-a-Mac. And their Liberty of Norton Folgate song includes 'transience' 'archipelago' 'technicolor' 'inarticulate' 'inordinate' 'vivacity' 'discordantly'
    Funnily enough Eric's last album was called Transcience.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    Supercalifragilifsticexpialidocious
    Although according to Wikipedia that's not entirely true...

Legal action

In 1965, the song was the subject of an unsuccessful lawsuit by songwriters Gloria Parker and Barney Young against Wonderland Music, Disney's music publishing subsidiary, and publisher of the song from the film.[11] The plaintiffs alleged that it was a copyright infringement of their 1949 song "Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus". Also known as "The Super Song", it was recorded by Alan Holmes and His New Tones for Columbia Records, with vocal by Hal Marquess and the Holmes Men, and music and lyrics by Patricia Smith (a Gloria Parker pen name) and Don Fenton.[4][12] Another recording of "Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus", performed by The Arabian Knights and published by Gloro Records, was released in 1951. The Disney publishers won the lawsuit in part because they produced affidavits showing that "variants of the word were known ... many years prior to 1949".[12]

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Godley & Creme, late of 10cc, spoke of a Pac-a-Mac in their 1982 flop single Snack Attack.

As you can easily deduce, said garment made for a useful rhyme.

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Madness dedicated a whole song to Pac-a-Mac. And their Liberty of Norton Folgate song includes 'transience' 'archipelago' 'technicolor' 'inarticulate' 'inordinate' 'vivacity' 'discordantly'

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Originally posted by RobM View Post
    Surely the standout was Edwyn Collins using 'allegorically' on Girl Like You, not only that but making it rhyme.

[...]

Wreckless Eric's got to be in there, whole French phrases in Reconnez Cherie that make no sense, pac-a-mac making an appearance, got to be more.
    Obviously Edwyn had previous for this (verbosity/varying pop songs' vocabulary) in Orange Juice.
    Aztec Camera ​Down the Dip mentions a pac-a-mac

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Supercalifragilifsticexpialidocious

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
    The winning song is Nature of the Threat by Ras Kass. So many words you only find in that song. The lyrics are a regurgitated mess of half-digested history, a Roget's Thesaurus, and the obsessively homophobic rantings of your second cousin who no-one in your family talks about...
    Amazing track that.

I’m going to for Abba’s “Name Of The Game”, if not
    already mentioned: “I’m a bashful child, beginning to grow.”

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Surely this man wins.

Leave a comment:

• RobM
    replied
    Surely the standout was Edwyn Collins using 'allegorically' on Girl Like You, not only that but making it rhyme.

I'd move you ban The Fall and Half Man Half Biscuit from this to give everyone else a chance and avoid an Old Firm/Scotland tedium shit-show , 'Jarg Armani in the car, always comes in through Stranraer probalby just about a hat-trick in two lines there and Mark E wrote songs in Esperanto.

Wreckless Eric's got to be in there, whole French phrases in Reconnez Cherie that make no sense, pac-a-mac making an appearance, got to be more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X