Irredeemable Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    I was wondering when John Entwistle had joined the Zep.
    Then again …

So the story goes that Moon and Entwistle recorded the instrumental Beck's Bolero with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jeff Beck. As the experience was a positive one, they tossed around the idea of forming a band; an outfit that, according to Moon, would "go down like a lead balloon". Moon's gag went on to be the basis of the name of Page's new band.

That's the legend, anyway.

Comment

Guns 'n' Roses are completely awful and the awfulness is amplified by their admirers' feeble but persistent attempts to pass them off as something radical or threatening.

I agree with the anti-Zep sentiments shown upthread too, but have derived some marginal entertainment over the years from Robert Plant's devotion to the Wolves.

I'd put the Arctic Monkeys onto the irredeemable pile. I can't stand his voice or his snide lyrics and they look like shit.

Comment

Dire Straits. Close the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
          Guns 'n' Roses are completely awful and the awfulness is amplified by their admirers' feeble but persistent attempts to pass them off as something radical or threatening.

I agree with the anti-Zep sentiments shown upthread too, but have derived some marginal entertainment over the years from Robert Plant's devotion to the Wolves.

I'd put the Arctic Monkeys onto the irredeemable pile. I can't stand his voice or his snide lyrics and they look like shit.
          Apart from the bit about Wolves, which has never entertained or not entertained me, I agree with every word of that.

I think this is the type of thread where I'd be within my rights to express my disdain for The Beatles. However, a) there are a few The Beatles songs that are all-right-I-suppose and b) I don't want people saying that I'm dead from the forehead down/if I don't like The Beatles, I don''t like life at all/I ought to have the word "person" removed from my passport and everything else non-The Beatles fans have to put up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            Dire Straits. Close the thread.
            Sure we've had this discussion before.

Comment

Guns 'n' Roses are awful?

GET. TO. FUCK.

Yes, they went completely bonkers and badly lost the plot but Appetite for Destruction is a fabulous piece of rock and both the Illusions have enough content to make one good album.

Awful. What is wrong with you people?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                When I squint, the great majority of pop-rock comes across as decadent inconsequential ephemera. How's that?
                You've never listened to The Wurzels, have you?

Comment

Guns 'n' Roses are awful?

GET. TO. FUCK.

Yes, they went completely bonkers and badly lost the plot but Appetite for Destruction is a fabulous piece of rock and both the Illusions have enough content to make one good album.

Awful. What is wrong with you people?

Well, I guess that it's people who don't like heavy rock naming heavy rock bands, which isn't really the point of the thread. Most rock fans, even those who don't go a bundle on G 'n' R would, for instance, have to admit that Sweet Child Of Mine is a superb song.

I think you have to be looking at artists or bands in a genre that you like but which, for some reason, don't appeal. Otherwise we're just going to get a ton of rap, folk and boy bands being name-checked.

Comment

"Sweet Child of Mine" is possibly the most overrated rock song of all.

"Sweet Child o' Mine" placed number 37 on Guitar World's list of the "100 Greatest Guitar Solos." It also came in at number 3 on Blender's 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born, and at number 198 on Rolling Stone's The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.[9] In March 2005, Q magazine placed it at number 6 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. On a 2004 Total Guitar magazine poll, the introduction's famous riff was voted number 1 riff of all-time by the readers of the magazine.[10] It was also in Rolling Stone's 40 Greatest Songs that Changed the World. It places number 7 in VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the '80s", and placed number 210 on the RIAA Songs of the Century list.

The song is currently ranked as the 104th greatest song of all time, as well as the best song of 1987, by Acclaimed Music.[11] The song has sold 2,609,000 digital copies in the United States as of March 2012.[12]

I mean, it's all subjective, but it's a widely regarded song amongst rock fans.

Who is overrating it?

Comment

When I squint, the great majority of pop-rock comes across as decadent inconsequential ephemera. How's that?
                      Is that meant as a criticism or an advertising slogan?

Comment

Maybe this isn't the thread for you.

Comment

Can't believe someone would call the Stereophonics irredeemable. They've had a few decent songs.

Anyway,I'm going to also nominate Placebo. I like Indie and was of the right age when Britpop bubbled, but really never, never got Placebo.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                            Anyway. Spice Girls
                            Two Become One is great.

Comment

I do like hard rock! I LOVE Queen and Jimi Hendrix, like The Who a lot and have plenty of time for Black Sabbath.

I'm really really sorry GO, but 'Romeo And Juliet' is a fine song.

Edit to hobbes - so is 'Spice Up Your Life', and 'Wannabe' ain't half bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Anyway,I'm going to also nominate Placebo. I like Indie and was of the right age when Britpop bubbled, but really never, never got Placebo.
                                Nope. The Bitter End is a marvellous song.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                  I do like hard rock! I LOVE Queen and Jimi Hendrix, like The Who a lot and have plenty of time for Black Sabbath.
                                  I do find it interesting that, if you like those bands, you can't find anything by AC/DC or Zep (apart from one song) that you like. Not Let There Be Rock or Touch Too Much? Not The Rover or Kashmir?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                    Nope. The Bitter End is a marvellous song.
                                    It's pretty good. As is Every You, Every Me, Nancy Boy and Bruise Pristine (the Fierce Panda version).

(Viz Dire Straits - close, but not quite the Half Corona. Sultans of Swing gets a bit of a vote from me.)

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    Yep, that's pretty much it. G'n'R were at exactly the same level of misogynistic w*nk as the hair-metal they supposedly 'blew out of the water'.

Nirvana. They blew that sh*t out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I do find it interesting that, if you like those bands, you can't find anything by AC/DC or Zep (apart from one song) that you like. Not Let There Be Rock or Touch Too Much? Not The Rover or Kashmir?
                                      Maybe it's the caterwauling. Hendrix, Mercury and Daltrey definitely don't caterwaul, and I'd say Osbourne keens rather than caterwauls. But Plant is horrible - I'd probably have given 'Whole Lotta Love' the thumbs up for the music, but that pillock ruins it. And Page is such a sleazy creep (though that doesn't bother me with the Joe Meek tracks he plays on). As for ACDC, I guess my childhood memories have probably biased me, but I do recall sitting down and listening to 'Back In Black', which I believe many fans cite as their best record, and being profoundly unimpressed.

Comment

Nah. Powerage is where it's at.

Comment

Maybe it's the caterwauling. Hendrix, Mercury and Daltrey definitely don't caterwaul, and I'd say Osbourne keens rather than caterwauls. But Plant is horrible - I'd probably have given 'Whole Lotta Love' the thumbs up for the music, but that pillock ruins it. And Page is such a sleazy creep (though that doesn't bother me with the Joe Meek tracks he plays on). As for ACDC, I guess my childhood memories have probably biased me, but I do recall sitting down and listening to 'Back In Black', which I believe many fans cite as their best record, and being profoundly unimpressed.

Yes, I can certainly see why the vocal gymnastics of certain singers could be off-putting. OTOH, there a quite a few Zep tracks where Plant reigns it in. Tangerine, to give just one example. And of course Back In Black was when Brian Johnson, who's much more of a wailer, took over from Bon Scott. Maybe try Highway To Hell and see if that appeals a bit more.

Comment

Listening to the song 'Highway To Hell' now and it's very Spinal Tap, isn't it? Yeah, this one's OK, especially as I read this fine Youtube comment before getting to the lyric in question - "I always thought at 1:29 it said “Hey Satan! Hey my Jews!” I’m glad I never tried singing along to that line."

Comment

Give Rock and Roll Damnation a go. Great song. Plus it's Bon Scott so the singing's much better.

Comment

You Shook Me All Night Long is the AC/DC go to song, surely?

Comment

Listening to the song 'Highway To Hell' now and it's very Spinal Tap, isn't it? Yeah, this one's OK, especially as I read this fine Youtube comment before getting to the lyric in question - "I always thought at 1:29 it said “Hey Satan! Hey my Jews!” I’m glad I never tried singing along to that line."

I love all the tracks on the first "side" of the Highway To Hell album but Touch Too Much is my absolute favourite AC/DC track.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                    You Shook Me All Night Long is the AC/DC go to song, surely?

Good song but it's Johnson on vocals so possibly a bit too screamy for DM's liking.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X