Irredeemable Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irredeemable Artists

The deserved verbal kicking Toyah Wilcox on the Chart Music podcast got me thinking of how few artists, who have produced a sizeable body of work, haven't made at least one song I like. Regular OTF whipping boys—your Coldplay, U2, Phil Collins and Sting—have made some decent records. Ed Sheeran, even.

But who else fits this bill? The only other one I can think of is Dido.

Westlife - Utter dreck, the lot of it. They also made Simon Cowell a far wealthier man than he had any right to be.
    Last edited by George; 06-05-2019, 21:14.

Comment

I've never liked a song by Elton John.

Comment

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Comment

RHCP have one good song. The cover of Higher Ground. And Flea is in the video for Young MC's Bust A Move, one of the greatest pop songs ever. I'm not sure if he actually played on the track.

Comment

Genesis, ACDC, Boyzone to name three.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              RHCP have one good song. The cover of Higher Ground. And Flea is in the video for Young MC's Bust A Move, one of the greatest pop songs ever. I'm not sure if he actually played on the track.
              Agreed. But they earn an additional Fuck Off point for their biggest hit being a cover.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                Genesis, ACDC, Boyzone to name three.
                This is so bonkers that I suspect it's actually a bot posting...

Comment

Breaking The Girl: good song by RHCP.
                  Last edited by Sporting; 06-05-2019, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

This is so bonkers that I suspect it's actually a bot posting...
                    elguapo4 has probably never heard The Musical Box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=7X_3yOUKSOc

Comment

Or Lamb Lies Down....

Comment

The Red Hot Chili Peppers for me too. And Adele.

Comment

As ever, some astonishing choices on here already. I'm really going to struggle to come up with a name. Maybe some tediously smooth modern soul singer.

Rage Against The Machine - haven't heard much of their stuff but what I have heard certainly doesn't appeal.

Comment

*cough* Led Zeppelin

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                              Maybe some tediously smooth modern soul singer.
                              Paul Young for the win?

Comment

Ah, the "pretty pig." Not a bad shout but I like Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home)so that rules him out.

I'm thinking about proposing Limp Bizkit but suspect that they might be a bit too obvious and anyway I've got a hunch that they did something that I thought was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                  Genesis, ACDC
                                  Wow. you've just redefined hobbesian.

Anyway. Spice Girls.

Comment

Hmmmmm, off topic but prompted by this thread, Ben Volpeliere-Pierrot really hasn't aged well!

Comment

Celine Dion. Enough said.

Comment

Limp Bizkit are clearly the right answer here. Celine Dion is a good shout too. Never knowingly heard anything by Boyzone or Westlife. Haven't heard anything worth hearing by RHCP. Many of the other suggestions are just silly

Comment

Or any of those 80s MOR American "rock" bands like REO speedwagon or Boston or Chicago or some other faceless group of tedium peddlers

Comment

Believe me I've heard more than enough Genesis and ACDC thank you, just heard INXS on the radio and you can throw them in as well.

Comment

Blimey, some jaw-dropping suggestions on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                Or any of those 80s MOR American "rock" bands like REO speedwagon or Boston or Chicago or some other faceless group of tedium peddlers
                                                Chicago were alright before the saccharine stuff took hold.

Comment

Limp Bizkit did that Mission:Impossible thing which I don't mind hearing once a year.

RHCP: Sorry, but the aforementioned Higher Ground and Breaking the Girl both disqualify them from this thread.

Nominations: Michael Bolton. Celine Dion. And I do want to nominate Mariah Carey, even though I think she has a talented voice, she's done nothing of actual note (ha!) with it apart from verbal theatrics. And inspire similar verbal theatrics from hundreds of imitators who couldn't pull it off. A trick is still a trick without substance.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X