Simon Price Interviews Adam Ant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one's of them's got the tiniest cock, though?

Comment

re. people "not being there", there was for a time a rumour that Adam Ant had never supported the Sex Pistols at St Martin's College, as he claimed (he claimed it was a turning point). Even Marco wasn't sure for a while, as the person had told him with such confidence, and Adam can occasionally, er, get things wrong.
      But he checked, and Adam did play the gig, exactly as he said, as a member of Bazooka Joe.

Just goes to show ... something. People make stuff up, either for self-aggrandisment, or out of mischief, envy and malice. The internet gives them a platform and access they'd never dreamt of before - what did they do before the internet? Send poison pen letters, I suppose.

Comment

I'm calling the top and am now a seller of this thread.

I meant to post that 2 pages ago.

Comment

It's already making me a international heroine :-)

Oh, and to answer the "we're not misogynist, it's just you" point, I had to issue a warning on TalkPunk (to your buddy) for telling a young woman who had just signed up to "fuck off to blondeseatmorecum.com" and had eventually to ban him for denigrating a woman, posting links to her children's pictures on MySpace, and ridiculing her because they were bi-racial and gay.
          Your little gang chased off many women and teenagers from TP before we decided it was enough. It's now far more woman-friendly and diverse, and better for it.

I'm going to leave it for a bit because it's distracting me from my work, but know this: no-one is impressed by this crap. Everyone can see it for what it is, and you for what you are.

Comment

What a thread.

Wouldn't even know where to start with an Ant top 5. So much excellent stuff I from his solo albums (yeah, even Strip) makes a difficult job more than impossible. I think I played Vive Le Rock three times a night for about a month after it was released. The album, that is. That's not right, is it. "It's good, but it's not right", as Roy Walker might have said if he was talking about the frequency with which I played Vive Le Rock.

Comment

Upon reading about the blondeseatmorecum.com website above, I immediately got a Cyndi Lauper earworm with these somewhat amended lyrics.

And no, not Time After Time.

Comment

Strip the song is a stinker

Comment

I just checked (not going further than the Google results page) and there is a blondeseatmorecum and a brunetteseatmorecum but no redheadseatmorecum or gingerseatmorecum so we can add that to the trail of injustices on this thread

Comment

Bruno wrote:
                    I'm calling the top and am now a seller of this thread.

I meant to post that 2 pages ago.
                    Brave move. I suspect it could well be a bad trade.

Comment

Well, one never unravels one's position all at once. I'll just be selling into strength and not buying on dips.

Comment

And no, I have no idea what that really means in this context.

Comment

Fah diddly qua qua?

Oh, you won't get that - don't worry.

(Adding today ... what was written about me yesterday turns out to be so wide of the mark as to be almost funny, and it's from someone with their own problems, and then some. Anyway, I'm going to spend more time working, so I'll be around less, but that's no bad thing. Onward and upward! x)

Comment

Adam Ant tells Christians to fuck off

Comment

Although I am concerned etc., the choice of song (Sympathy for the Devil), really made me laugh.

Comment

This is life imitating Viz, as this is exactly how a cartoon pirate metal Adam would dress and behave, if invited to play a church hall.

Apparently there's another gig tonight. Let's hope it doesn't go too badly.

Comment

Adam Ant sectioned under the Mental Health Act (again).

Comment

Oh fuck.

Comment

Sad, but for the best.

AntLib really know fuck all, and I don't get where they're coming from with that tabloidy angle - sectioned isn't really a word, (well, I suppose it's become one) it's derogatory tabloid speak.

Adam went in on Tuesday morning, there was no "incident". A friend saw him yesterday and he was calm and goodhumoured, so let's hope he gets treatment without more trauma, and that the press and other vultures don't get too much to feast on.

Comment

Remembering this was the thread with the 'artifice' debate, I just came across this in Arthur Phillips' excellent novel The Song Is You:

"Sing movingly of heartbreak once, on tape, and that's art; do it night after night in front of paying customers, sing of adolescent emotions when you are in your fifties, sixties, seventies, ironically laugh at your pain over and over again, and that's artifice..."

Comment

"... attend a Bastille Day fireworks show and they're artifices".

Comment

Basically all pop music is a combination of art and artifice, innit? Look at Joy Division. The music that you'll love is the music that just happens to have the right mix of ingredients to compliment your particular errr... taste buds?

Load of wank that possibly, but the "X is authentic, Y isn’t" debate is also a load of bollocks.

Comment

Well, yes, I basically agree with that, and being authentic can be as much of a pose etc., but there might be something in the art being in the creative process. What a lot of performers will tell you is that each performance involves some creativity, each time is slightly different. That's less true (or not true at all) of big production numbers and the big, expensive tours where everything is rehearsed to give the same quality each time, and it seems to be far less satisfying for the performers.

To tie that back to Mr Ant, I've seen him play four times, and he did the same song (Cartrouble) on at least three of those occasions; each time was very, very different, although it's the same man, singing the same song.

Comment

Harry Lime wrote:
                                                Load of wank that possibly, but the "X is authentic, Y isn’t" debate is also a load of bollocks.
                                                Oh, jeez yeah, Harry. You're probably right. I hadn't looked at it like that. Case well made.

Comment

"Sing movingly of heartbreak once, on tape, and that's art; do it night after night in front of paying customers, sing of adolescent emotions when you are in your fifties, sixties, seventies, ironically laugh at your pain over and over again, and that's artifice..."
                                                  Bullshit from a bitter failed musician.

Yes, singing lyrics that are about your first heartbreak 25 years before can be embarressing but , equally, the feelings you felt about that can relate to later heartbreak.

If its art, its fucking art

Comment

Bullshit from a bitter failed musician.
                                                    He's an internationally acclaimed writer, and deservedly so, so I doubt it's that. It's a novel, and those are the thoughts that happen to be going through the head of one character who pretty much changes positions from paragraph to paragraph anyway (which is why he's such a well drawn character - that's the way our heads work most of the time). I don't agree with it much either, except on the level of basic truism like, "All music released commercially is a sellout." It doesn't have to stop you appreciating the music, or necessarily detract from its effect on you as an artistic work at any given moment. I'm all for singing along to commercially driven artifice as long as it's not too blatantly cynical.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X