No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menywod Maeshafn travelled to ... because Girls Can looking to preserved their leadership of Division 5:29.
    The chances of IsThatcherDeadYet’s side managing that was in doubt as early as the second minute as the hosts went ahead, and in serious trouble by the tenth, by which stage it was 2-0. Maeshafn never recovered from this slow start, and were hit by a killer third midway through the second half as they fell to a first league defeat of the season.
    Defeats have been all too common for Dublin City WFC this term, and Mortal Joe’s side faced a challenge if they wanted to avoid another at high-flying Malta.
    A tenacious defensive performance got Dublin to the break level, and without too many scares to boot. That was still the case at the hour mark, which made the rush of blood to the head suffered by Moira Brennan in the 65th minute all the more galling. Her ill-discipline resulted in a straight red, which was the first card of any colour the 18 year-old has seen in her career. Hopefully she will learn a lesson from it.
    That left Dublin hanging on with 10 players. Up until the 80th minute that is, when, having already used all their subs, Nancy Tyrell caught her studs in the turf and had to be stretchered off. She will be out for 11 days, but more pressingly that left Dublin hanging on with just nine men for 10+ minutes... which they managed!
    If ever there was a backs-to-the-wall draw that felt better than a win this must have been it! Can it be a springboard to lift Dublin up from their current seventh spot in the table, and begin to close the seven point gap (ulp!) that stands between them and safety? Meanwhile at the other end Maeshafn’s surprise defeat sees them slip down to second place on goal difference.

Sockford Emollient are magnificent . But not as magnificent as Magnificent Ladies, who are also extremely humble as well. And they have a lot to be humble about...
    The modest ones struck first, a goal on the half-hour giving them a 1-0 interval lead they probably just about deserved. That was still the score at the hour mark, but not for long as just a minute later Donya Antonellini headed Foxy265’s charges level.
    The scores didn’t remain tied for long, the visiting going ahead again in unassuming fashion four minutes later. However that was just the cue for another Gatorsharks headed leveller, Alexia Batistuta rising highest in the 73rd minute. Once again parity was not maintained for long, but on this occasion it was Sockford who went ahead as Batistuta scored their third headed goal in the 76th minute.
    Thus ended a frenetic 15 minute period with four goals, and with those came a win for Framleyshire. That kept Emollient third in the Division 6:40 standings, one point off the play-offs but five adrift of automatic promotion.

Invisible Ladies match against Ipswich Town Ladies had the feel of a must-win for The See-Throughs as the Tractor Girls sat next to bottom of the table.
    Despite that it was Ipswich who took the lead on 5 minutes following a corner, with what would prove their only effort on goal of the game. If Pebblethefish’s side had trailed to this goal for too long, or wasted a number of chances before levelling this might have become a psychological problem, but fortunately for the Invisible boss his side drew level in the 20th minute when Chelsea Paul let fly from range.
    Paul picked up as light knock late in the first half but wasn’t about to let that hinder her as she put her side ahead on 61 minutes with a header from a corner. Alva van der Kwast thought she had doubled the advantage just four minutes later, only for referee Dick Tator to disallow it. Not that this put van der Kwast off, as she had the ball in the net once again on 70 minutes and this time it was allowed to stand.
    The win didn’t change The See-Throughs position in the Division 6:41 standings, they remain fourth, but it did share a little off the gap to the leaders after the side who began the day there lost.

The most obvious source for Riverbankers FC’s first point of the season was not a match at second-placed side Rotnäset BK.
    The chances for SouthdownRebel’s girls looked even bleaker when Rotnäset took the lead after just 7 minutes. However The Bankies kept going, and were handed a glorious chance to level on 21 minutes when Sten Koll pointed to the spot. Skipper and all-round leader Begüm Tunc took the responsibility, and made no mistake for her second goal for the club.
    The question now was could Riverbankers hold on to this? The answer? Nope. Rotnäset made it 2-1 before the break and added a third just past the hour to kill the game off. Well, I did say it wasn’t an obvious source of that elusive point, didn’t I?
    Solent Sirens also faced a tough game as they welcomed leaders MSV Duisburg Damen to Mayfield Park.
    Duisburg came into the match boasting a 100% record and a +19 goal difference, with just four goals conceded in their five matches to date. However Solent made light of that when Evelyn Högardh took aim from 30 yards and fired it into the top corner. 1-0 was good, but that wasn’t the end of it as just two minutes later Geovana Abbiati swung over a cross and Högardh rose highest to head her and her side’s second.
    The visitors were presumably rather taken aback by all this, but even so they mustered a near immediate response with a direct free-kick on 28 minutes. However, just four minutes later Simone de Beauvoir took fly from distance and saw her shot rattle home to restore the two goal advantage for Andrew7610’s side.
    3-1 at the break was no fluke, though; it fully represented how far on top The Sirens had been in the first half, with 7 chances created to 2. That dominance was emphasised by Abbiati making it 4-1 after 49 minutes. The Sirens faithful were abuzz with how well their side was playing, the chant going up of “We want five!”, Marlene Stieglecker obliging with another long range piledriver on 61 minutes. That was to be the end of it, and there was a very slight sting in the tail for Solent and Stieglecker personally as she suffered a 9-day injury late on.
    Our final game this week saw Witches of Chiswick travel to Tagalog Ladys.
    Chiswick struggled in the first half and fell behind after 19 minutes to a header from a corner. That was still the score at the break, with Bewitched boss Wiblflibl trying to gee his side up to greater efforts after the break. As it turned out the perspiration was there, but despite generating three of the four chances after the break the Witches were hit by a sucker punch second on 76 minutes which left them no way back.
    How did all that affect the Division 6:42 table? Well, The Sirens big win didn’t lift them any places, they remain third, but this is now a third place that is within three points and +5 GD of leaders Duisburg rather than six points and -13 GD adrift. Chiswick’s loss sees them lose a place to sit sixth, six points off the play-offs whilst Riverbankers remain pointless and bottom of the standings.

Comment

The Heineken League season has been updated. Thanks to Gawpus for your assistance, you have just been sacked.

Comment

That's gratitude for you <winky>

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          That left Viking with a mountain to climb, which is a task a longship is ill-suited for.
          Hahah, indeed. My own fault, I was at a neighbour's funeral that afternoon and clean forgot about the game. I've demonstrated admirable equal-opportunities forgetfulness today by failing to set up the Viking men's side for their game this afternoon either.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
            I shall hopefully be sporting them in the next league match then.
            The approval has gone through AE, you should be able to find both kits in my Custom Shirts catalogue now.

I now have enough variants on that design uploaded to keep Mars Rovers in change kits for about ten seasons to come:

Last edited by Various Artist; 06-08-2018, 23:49.

Comment

One of my transfers out in the Xpert Ladies League is being investigated. I picked up a 17/4 and a 17/3 youth midfielder in quick succession and sold the 17/4 (with FK), to a team I'd never heard of before. She went for 3.4m, and I got 2.7m of that. I think the value was about what her valuation was pre-transfer, though I honestly can't remember exactly.

Is it normal to be investigated? It's never happened to me before, and I don't like the feeling at all.

The manager has been active for a week only, and he's bought 6 18-and-unders, of which mine was the most expensive. Maybe the admin thinks I've created another team so I can sell to it for big money - but I've only made two transfers this season.
              Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 07-08-2018, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                One of my transfers out in the Xpert Ladies League is being investigated. I picked up a 17/4 and a 17/3 youth midfielder in quick succession and sold the 17/4 (with FK), to a team I'd never heard of before. She went for 3.4m, and I got 2.7m of that. I think the value was about what her valuation was pre-transfer, though I honestly can't remember exactly.

Is it normal to be investigated? It's never happened to me before, and I don't like the feeling at all.

The manager has been active for a week only, and he's bought 6 18-and-unders, of which mine was the most expensive. Maybe the admin thinks I've created another team so I can sell to it for big money - but I've only made two transfers this season.
                Yeah, happened to me once. They concluded fast enough that seller and buyer had nothing to do with each other, and passed me my econs. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Comment

Yeah, I've had a couple investigated both as a buyer and seller, nothing ever untoward. That sounds like you got a good price at this time of the season, but nothing particularly extraordinary.

Comment

I'm surprised that such an unremarkable transfer warranted investigation. Must just be your face VT.

Comment

I've also had a transfer out under investigated today in the Ladies league. I think understandably in this case, as the fee the buying club was paying was nearly four times valuation fee. Which at this time in the market is extraordinary. The player in question (Sophie Wijkens) is a 17/4 defender with cone and headers, i.e. significant SQs. I would have liked to have keep her, but I already had another 17/4 defender through earlier in the season (Zoe de Waters) who is up to DV 13 and that didn't leave space for another in my squad. So reluctantly Wijkens went on to the transfer market. I was actually happy when I got a single bid for her as Coxy Ladies were desperate for cash, with less than 500k in the bank. But then a second bid came in and a bidding war started, and well...

All past tense, as the transfer has already been approved, Wijkens is gone and the money is in my account. But then there is no connection at all between me and the purchaser.

Comment

Right, I promise this is the last time I'll mention our friend sel_ayan. I've had a look at the purchased players in his new J4GL Fenerbahçe as we approach the month milestone when he can start to sell:

Just looking through the first ten or so, here are the savings on players bought below market Value, counting from the Polish goalie as #1:

#1 2.1m
                        #2 1.0m
                        #5 2.0m
                        #6 3.5m
                        #8 1.1m
                        #9 1.5m

I stopped there. I will pack away the hobby horse for good if the consensus is that this is just good scouting, and the way he runs things.

Comment

Actually I can't ignore player #11, Vulpascu, and 18/6 Vanilla defender, worth 4.3m, for 1.7m

Comment

It's impossible to say from that information. The only way I know to cheat is to buy/sell with multiple accounts or friends. His big savings - Amoreirinha and Vulpascu are both ones which could be dodgy - or could be underevals - they'd be fair prices for a 21/7 or an 18/5. I don't see how you can find out.

Comment

X11 Ladies Season 52, Matchday 7 report. The end of the back straight.

Code:
                              Division 1a

Viking South Utsira	2 - 1	Wælcyrie
                              E.Klovning 86'			Asinga 90'
                              Fevereiro 94'			Cezãrescu (sent off) 83'

Division 4i

Q.P.R Ladies 		0 - 1	Drakaina
                              				Sietaridis 8'

Division 4p

Csiki Girls		0 - 2	Honey Badgers
                              				Johanssen 2'
                              Woozley (sent off) 88'		Veron 92'

Division 5:16

Catalonia Nuns 		1 - 1	Erbil
                              Alejandro 88'			Brundin 61'

Division 5:17

The Pretty Reckless 	1 - 5	LNWR Locomotive
                              Adriansson 39'			Zakarian 13', 43', 77', 84'
                              				Severinsson 15'

Division 5:18

La Milanesa 		1 - 4	Coxy Ladies Wulpen
                              McClure 23'			Carey 13'
                              				Leroy 26'
                              				Leclercq 40'
                              				Kabasele 62'

Division 5:19

Ullapool Northern Star	2 - 2	Gregorys Girls
                              Kha 44'				Glasgow 39', 49'
                              Barkho 92'

Division 5:21

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC	1 - 1	Flick of the Wrist
                              Prins 73'			Dörre (pen) 93'

Division 5:27

BW Günthersdorf 	0 - 4	Zeugma Dostluk Spor
                              				Forsyth 32', 37'
                              				Sales 73'
                              				Bell 85'

Division 5:29

Dublin City WFC		4 - 1	The Anarchists
                              Kåmark 25', 36', 46'		Ndunguidi 53'
                              Isabel Carreto 81'

Harley Quinns 		2 - 0	Menywod Maeshafn
                              Amagale 6'
                              Ehlin 56'			Narberth (sent off) 76'

Division 6:40

Gibbo Rovers 		1 - 1	Sockford Emollient
                              Perreira 18'			Antonellini 16'

Division 6:41

Invisible Ladies	1 - 3	Chili Babes
                              Paul 66'			Dovblom 33'
                              				Street (O.G.) 47'
                              				Mamina 76'

Division 6:42

Riverbankers FC		0 - 0	Solent Sirens

Witches of Chiswick	3 - 2	MSV Duisburg Damen
                              Kurisawa 2'			Galanopoulos 6'
                              Ota 62'				Curle 52'
                              Altstrand 85'
                              After some recent stutters, Viking South Utsira sought to get their promotion push back on track against fellow Nordic warriors Wælcyrie.
                              The visitors arrived in the small North Sea archipelago in archetypal fashion astride winged horses, which even Steven Ireland would consider a bit ostentatious. If you are going to make an entrance like that, you really need to be league leaders or similar (note, Mr Ireland), which Wælcyrie had going for them.
                              The sides then proceeded to play out a stalemate. Or so it seemed. For 80-odd minutes, this was an evenly matched arm-wrestle, but then on 83 mins Wælcyrie’s elbow slipped, Liana Cezãrescu picking up her second yellow card of the day. Suddenly things opened up, Emilie Klovning racing clear just three minutes later to give The Blood Eagles the lead. A decisive goal? No, because VSU unaccountably pushed on looking for a second and found themselves hit by a counter in the last minute as Wælcyrie equalised.
                              One might have thought the visitors would settle for a point gained late with 10 men, but they threw bodies forward looking for a winner. Risk-reward stuff and it was risk that triumphed here as that left space for one last Viking raid in the final minute, Magda Fevereiro the player unmarked this time as she gave Velvet Android’s side the win.
                              What an extraordinary finish to the game! One that closed the upper regions of the Division 1a table up significantly, as Wælcyrie dropped from first to third. VSU remain fourth, but are now only three points behind the former leaders and four off the play-off spot.

The Division 4i promotion picture was looking like crystallising into a three-horse race ahead of Drakaina’s visit to Q.P.R Ladies.
                              The Dragons are one of the golden three, with the Hoops being the best of the rest, sitting four points distant at the start of play. Etienne’s side quickly gave themselves a further cushion when Laria Sietaridis dinked in an eighth minute free-kick. A number of chances for both sides would follow this, tipped slightly in the Greeks favour, but no further goals would be added as The Dragons’ win made the distinction between the top three and the rest more, erm, distinct.
                              In terms of position within that select group, a 1-0 win was enough to keep Drakaina second. Which sounds like stasis, but this was a net no move as elsewhere in 4i third-placed Gretna Girls FC were beating leaders Busby Babes. That result saw Drakaina move a point ahead of the Babes, but fall behind Grenta on goals scored!

Csiki Girls’ promising start to life in Division 4p was being to fade in the rear-view mirror ahead of the visit of Honey Badgers.
                              The speck became more distant as early as the 2nd minute when Honey Badgers took the lead. This set the template for an open game, with both teams having a number of chances to score. Csiki Girls managed to create five openings across the piece but couldn’t find the back of the net with any of them.
                              Ad Hoc’s side found themselves down to 10 players with two minutes plus stoppages left when Trudy Woozley was shown a straight red card, which ended the match as a contest even prior to Honey Badgers second in stoppage time.
                              Defeat leaves Csiki Girls sixth in the table at the halfway point, but only -1 GD behind fifth. But equally only ahead of seventh on alphabetical order. It’s pretty tight.

The last match of the first half of Erbil’s league campaign sent Jdsx’s side to the Iberian peninsula to take on Catalonia Nuns.
                              Erbil had the better of the first half, with 64% possession and three chances to one, but without making a breakthrough. That eventually came in the 61st minute, Sandra Brundin doing the honours with a direct free-kick. However the failure to add a second left Erbil vulnerable to a sucker punch, which is exactly what the Nuns delivered with a long range shot in the 88th minute.
                              That made it two points only gained from the last three games for Erbil, but despite that they still sit atop the Division 5:16 table at halfway. However their lead is now just +3 goal difference, with another side a point behind.

Division 5:17 leaders LNWR Locomotive’s last first opponent of this season was bottom-placed outfit The Pretty Reckless.
                              The Steamer quickly made their greater power clear, Gayane Zakarian (13 minutes) and Tekla Severinsson (15) firing Viktor Boskovic’s side into a 2-0 lead. The hosts pulled one back against the run of play on 39 minutes, but any suggestion that this was the beginning of a remarkable turnaround were snuffed out just four minutes later with Zakarian’s second of the game.
                              The second half was Locomotive cruising along comfortably. The fires were still being stoked occasionally though, Zakarian completing her hattrick on 77 minutes, and not being finished there as she made it four for the afternoon with a breakaway on 84 minutes.
                              Unsurprisingly victory by a four goal margin kept LNWR top of the 5:17 pile. Their advantage over second place remains one point, but the gap back to third grew to five this week.

When is a zombie seemingly cured, but actually still a member of the shambling undead? This is a conundrum that Coxy Ladies Wulpen were wrestling with after opponents La Milanesa had a manager appointed just before the start of their game, only for him not to get the message until some hours after the final whistle.
                              Tricky for The Waders, but more so for the hosts whose confusion showed when Zara Carey was left all alone to fire the opener on 13 minutes. Milan levelled out-of-the-blue on 23 but parity was short-lived as Zoe Leroy fired in a direct free-kick three minutes later, and Alicia Leclercq made it three five minutes before the break to give Janik’s side some breathing space.
                              The last major incident of the first half was a very poor Milan ‘tackle’ that left key Wulpen midfielder Eva van Sttenberghe hobbling off – it will be 17 days until she is fit again. van Sttenberghe’s place was taken by Jessica Kabasele, who exacted legal revenge by adding a fourth just after the hour.
                              Coxy Ladies remain third in Division 5:18 despite the win, but are now level on points with second placed Merched Efo Peli after they lost a top-of-the-table clash. Leaders Liverpool FCL are four points clear at the top.

Some games are a foregone conclusion on paper. Games such as winless and bottom Ullapool Northern Star against top and undefeated Gregorys Girls.
                              However matches are played on grass/in RAM and there is no such thing as a complete certainty. That will be what delicatemoth was telling her troops before the match commenced, but whether they believed her or not is another question, particularly when the first two incidents of the match went against Northern Star. Firstly defender Andrea Andersson was forced from the fray (she will be out for 9 days), and then on 39 minutes Gregorys took the lead via the appropriately named scorer for this all Scottish affair Glasgow.
                              What Ullapool needed was a lift just before the interval. Would Ninorta Kha swirling home a 44th minute free-kick do? You are damn right it would... Star wouldn’t remain at level pegging for long after the restart, Glasgow scoring again on 49 minutes, but having proved they could do it once the belief and determination was there amongst the hosts to repeat the trick. It took until stoppage time, but they managed it, Zebela Barkho heading in to secure a point.
                              That might be more symbolic than anything else, as Ullapool remain bottom of Division 5:19 and five points from safety. But maybe, just maybe, it can be the start of a great escape?
                              Last edited by Janik; 13-08-2018, 10:53.

Comment

The first half of the Division 5:19 season ended with a top-of-the-table clash as Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC hosted Flick of the Wrist.
                                The visitors came into the game leading the way by a razor fine margin, one goal scored as both had 12 points and +7 GDs to their name. Flick set about demonstrating that the gap between the sides was rather wider than this. They denied The Sea Spirits the ball in the first half, and then did that and started creating chances in the second.
                                Kanjeng were rather hanging on, except that their defence was looking stout against the onslaught. The game remained scoreless until, on 73 minutes, The Sea Goddesses earned a corner from which Rahma Ikmal picked out Cindy Prins. Despite this being the first sight of goal for any Kanjeng player in the game, Prins was coolness personified as she pass the ball into the corner of the net.
                                As the game went into stoppage time it appeared that SeanoftheShed’s side were going to manage an absolutely larcenous win (42% possession, 1-6 on chances) but then, with the final whistle looking, one last attack saw a Flick player tumble in the Kanjeng box, and Charlie Fender (2,1) was pointing to the spot. The visitors made no mistake with this, to claim a point that was both lucky and also significantly undersold them.
                                The late goal preserved the status quo in the 5:19 table, Flick top by one goal scored. The draw meant the pair could have been leapfrogged by third-placed Twin Peaks Owls, but they unexpectedly lost to the bottom placed side (who have gained a live manager, to be fair).

Lucky number seven? That was the hope for Zeugma Dostluk Spor as they prepared for their match at BW Günthersdorf. The omens were certainly good for finally getting that first win under their belts, as their hosts manager hadn’t been seen in over a month...
                                Almost as soon as the game got underway it was clear that the breakthrough was very likely, as Zeugma dominated possession and created a slew of chances. Manager Antepli Ejderha may have been getting slightly twitchy as the opening goal didn’t arrive in the opening half-hour, but he didn’t have to wait much longer for Rachel Forsyth to open the scoring. Having got one, Forsyth quickly added another to soothe any lingering nerves.
                                The second-half had a fiesta feel to it, the visiting fans chanting Olé as their team passed it around and then occasionally sprung forward to pick off another two goals for Juliana Sales (73 mins) and Stacey Bell (85).
                                Victory saw Zeugma climb a spot to sixth in the Division 5:27 standings. They are just two points from safety, and could very easily get their heads above after the return match against Günthersdorf this week.

A similar feel to the game above pertained at Dublin City WFC vs The Anarchists.
                                Both had yet to win, but as with Zeugma Dublin had picked up some draws previously whilst The Anarchists were bottom, pointless and managerless. The mimicry even extended to the game, though Mortal Joe only had to wait 25 minutes for Veronica Kåmark to give his side the lead, Kåmark adding her side’s and her own personal second 60 seconds before Forsyth did likewise in the US (Günthersdorf appears to be in Alabama).
                                The patterns diverged a little after the break as Kåmark got a hattrick within seconds of restarting, and then The Anarchists pulled one back on 53 minutes. The last word went to Dublin’s Ana Isabel Carreto, who headed in to make it 4-1 on 81 minutes.
                                Two of the promotion contenders in this section clashed at the Jokers Arena as Menywod Maeshafn took on Harley Quinns.
                                The match started on a bad note for the Welsh side as Quinns struck in just the sixth minute. The rest of the first half was something of a stalemate, but not the second; unfortauntely this was mostly the hosts! They made it two on 53 minutes, leaving IsThatcherDeadYet’s side a mountain to climb, one they never looked like scaling, even before Edith Narberth was shown a straight red card in the 76th minute. Narberth was a 17 year-old making her debut in senior football, so this might be an indication that we have a sparky one on our hands here.
                                The effective of these results was to push Maeshafn down to third in the Division 5:29 table, a point behind leaders Empire of the Sun (who drew their game) and now in the slipstream of Harley Quinns on goal difference. Meanwhile Dublin remain seventh, but have closed the gap on fifth to five points. Still lots of work for both OTF sides to do...

[b]Sockford Emollient, who began the day third in the Division 6:40 standings, will have been expecting a tough game at leaders Gibbo Rovers, a side with five wins, a draw and no defeats previously.
                                What the Gatorsharks needed was to strike first, and that is exactly what Donya Antonellini gave them with a long range strike after 16 minutes. Gibbo Rovers equalised almost immediately but the exchange of goals had a good effect on the mindsets of the two sides, at least from the Framleyshire fans’ perspective, as it raised the confidence of their girls and put a hint of doubt into the minds of the hosts.
                                That said it took good ‘keeping from Oianiyi John to earn Foxy265’s side a point, which was enough to lift them back into second place in the table on goal difference. Just one goal is in it, which says that Sockford need to keep on gathering points.

Invisible Ladies meeting with Chili Babes felt like a must-win for The See-Throughs if they wanted to be serious participants in the Division 6:41 promotion battle this season.
                                Pebblethefish’s side sat four points adrift of their visitors at the start of play, but their hopes of closing that gap were fading from the point that Chili Babes turned their first half pressure into a 33rd minute lead. The See-Throughs were just one behind at the break, but that became two soon after in unfortunate fashion as Linette Street put through her own net.
                                Chelsea Paul pulled one back against the run of play in the 66th minute. That would prove the high point though as Chili made it three 10 minutes later. There was further bad news two minutes prior to this goal, as Street’s day went from frustrating to memorably bad as she added a 23-day injury to her own goal.
                                Invisible now sit seven points adrift of the play-off place, which looks an unbridgeable gap in the second half of the season. Though, of course, I would love to be proved wrong on that!

The last match of the first half of the season pitted pointless Riverbankers FC against a Solent Sirens side high on confidence as they came in fresh from a 5-1 hammering of league leaders Duisburg.
                                The match kicked off and... nothing happened. The first half was dullness personified, without so much as the sniff of a chance. Think the Philosopher’s Football match from Monty Python, but without the ‘Eureka’ moment.
                                The second half did have a moment of life in the 47th minute as Marlene Stieglecker attempt to lob a header over Anastasia Myznikova, but sadly for Solent she got too much on it and put narrowly over the bar. That was as close as Andrew7610’s charges would come, as they were held to a very underwhelming draw. Underwhelming from their perspective, but not for The Bankside Ground crowd who may have been bored but were also happy at the final whistle as The Bankies players and boss SouthdownRebel celebrated their first ever point on the pitch in front of the fans.
                                The match report looks like an error, as literally nothing of note happened. Not only no goals, but no cards, no injuries or substitutions either! This was the epitome of the word stalemate.
                                Meanwhile Witches of Chiswick were trying to match Solent’s rather more lively performance of seven days prior as it was The Bewitched’s turn to face MSV Duisburg Damen.
                                The visitors would have been desperate to put right the Solent wrongs, but they were quickly behind again as Mari Kurisawa headed in after only two minutes. Duisburg equalised in the sixth minute but then found themselves on the back foot for the rest of the first half as Chiswick created a number of chances.
                                The visitors did have the ball in the Witches net just prior to half-time, only to see it disallowed. That proved a temporary reprieve for Wiblflibl’s side as Duisburg moved 2-1 in front on 52 minutes. Normal service resumed? Not if The Bewitched could help it as they came again, Terumi Ota heading home a corner after 62 minutes to level up. Both sides had now been ahead and behind, but who would win it? The answer arrived in the 85th minute, and it was the hosts who provided it, Sarah Altstrand capping a man-of-the-match performance by rattling home a direct free-kick to send the Field Lane crowd into raptures.
                                The effect of these results on the league table was to see Solent drop a spot to fourth, but only three points off the top (they would have been third and one point away with a win *Gah!*), Chiswick climb to fifth, three points adrift of The Sirens and Riverbankers remain bottom but now with a point to their names.

Comment

X11 Ladies Cup R4. We few, we happy few, we band of sisters...

Code:
                                  Jålejentene		2 - 0	Csiki Girls
                                  Nilsen 16'
                                  Sjuls 52'

Csiki Girls		2 - 2	Jålejentene
                                  Wiking 65'			Purkartova 15', 92'
                                  Neaves 79'

Jålejentene win 4-2 on aggregate

Provokator FC		0 - 0	Drakaina

Drakaina		1 - 0	Provokator FC
                                  Petit 39'
                                  Florica Vulturescu
                                  Drakaina win 1-0 on aggregate

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC	3 - 1	Primera Nacional
                                  Azeite 23'			Whiteblade 43'
                                  Prins (pen) 61'
                                  Luangpruksachat 87'

Primera Nacional	2 - 0	Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                                  Whiteblade 3'
                                  Ferrell 37'

3-3 on aggregate. Nacional win on away goals
                                  Having battled through to R4, Csiki Girls found themselves up against third-tier outfit Jålejentene.
                                  The first leg was on the road, with the visitors looking to either keep the score close, or score an away goal, or preferably both! The latter didn’t look all that likely in a first half Jålejentene controlled, but at least the visitors restricted them to just two shots and one goal. Csiki Girls came more into things after the break and had enough chances to have nicked one, but just couldn’t find the finish and then frustratingly saw their hosts add a second. That made things difficult for the return...
                                  It would be next to impossible for the Csiki’s if Jålejentene scored an away goal, which was precisely what happened in the 15th minute. From this point on it was mostly about professionalism and pride for ad hoc’s team, both of which they displayed as Inger Wiking (65 minutes) and Robin Neaves (79), both set up by Emelie Gränsmark, turned the second leg at least on its head. However there wasn’t even to be the consolation of a win on the night as Jålejentene netted an injury-time equaliser.
                                  Still Round 4 is a deep a run as Csiki Girls have ever head, in this incarnation of any previous ones. It’s the first time they have reached this stage in 29 seasons, which further confirms the club is in the strongest position it has been for a very long time.

Drakaina’s round 4 opponents were *ugh* Provokator FC of Division 6, a side with horrid sexist kits.
                                  The opening leg saw the Greeks on the road, where they looked like they may have made a breakthrough when Sandrine Petit turned the ball home, only for referee Justin Thyme to intervene. That left the game scoreless, which is how it would remain. In fact it’s a game that wouldn’t have lived long in the memory, if not for a late horror injury to Dragons ‘keeper Anastasia Shkolnikova who went down in agony and will be unavailable to manager Etienne for 25 days.
                                  Young back-up Naida Katsouranis was between the sticks for the return, with her defence hyped to keep the ball away from her as much as possible to avoid conceding a damaging away goal. They managed it well, Katsouranis (who played well) only having one save to make thanks to sterling performances from her back three, Roseanne Beattie’s grade 19 display standing out the clearest. As if superb defending was not enough, Beattie also slipped the ball through to Petit on 39 minutes for the only goal of the tie.
                                  Once again the match was not without its costs for The Dragons as they suffered another major injury, though Florica Vulturescu’s knock is of a less serious scale than Shkolnikova’s; Vulturescu will only be out for eight days, though that is enough to make her a serious doubt for the one-off Round 5 tie against Division 2d side JAV Idols FC.

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC were paired up with Primera Nacional, who operate in Division 4.
                                  The first leg took place in Indonesia, and for the first half of that The Sea Spirits were more on the back foot than the front. Despite that they took the lead against the run of play midway through the period, Leila Azeite firing home a direct free-kick, and nearly held that advantage to the interval only for Nacional to net a deserved equaliser in the dying minutes.
                                  The game changed shape after the break as SeanoftheShed’s side took control, with a key element of that being Cindy Prins’ 61st minute penalty. The visitors didn’t have a single chance to level after this, but Kanjeng were not satisfied with 2-1 and made the game safe and the margin better when Thao-Ap Luangpruksachat headed a third three minutes from time.
                                  Would that be enough for the return? And how would The Sea Spirits approach a situation with a good lead, but also with the lurking knowledge that they had conceded an away goal so their advantage was a little less secure than it initially appeared. Particularly after Nacional scored inside three minutes of the return.
                                  Twist or stick is a hard call to make, and Kanjeng tried a hybrid. They created some chances but also gave up a few and that proved the key factor as the hosts struck again on 37 minutes. That at least made the situation easier for the Indonesians, they had to chase the game, but the goal they needed was nowhere to be found as the hosts sneaked through. Their manager was equally efficient in his post-match comments, needing just four letters to out himself as a poor winner and prick.

Round 5 draw - to the Arena!
                                  Code:
                                  Drakaina			vs	JAV Idols FC (2d)

Comment

Thanks Janik, as ever. You may find it frustrating to report on our travails but as manager I'm at my wits' end. I think my girls have been playing out of their skins, but the division quality is such that we're doomed. Are all the Div 5s like this?

Comment

Yeah, I think they are. As I said, you did remarkably well to get your team promoted last year. It felt rather ahead of schedule (cf. Pebblethefish's difficulties in getting Invisible Ladies over the line), and making it stick always looked an even tougher task. But if your side is capable of not just taking points of the leaders, but doing so in a non smash-and-grab fashion as they did last week, then it's not an impossible one.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                        That was as close as Andrew7610’s charges would come, as they were held to a very underwhelming draw. Underwhelming from their perspective, but not for The Bankside Ground crowd who may have been bored but were also happy at the final whistle as The Bankies players and boss SouthdownRebel celebrated their first ever point on the pitch in front of the fans.
                                        The match report looks like an error, as literally nothing of note happened. Not only no goals, but no cards, no injuries or substitutions either! This was the epitome of the word stalemate.
                                        I think I can explain the lack of goalmouth action:

A supporter of Riverbankers WFC ran on to the pitch and stole the ball during the last match. The club is fined 211 000 econ for this.
                                        That was an expensive point.

Comment

Presumably it played out something like this?

Comment

Haha, that's amazing. Did the players at the Bankside similarly spend 89 minutes chasing a phantom ball around after that supporter (was it a four-legged one?) ran off with it in the first minute or something?

An expensive point indeed, that's very harsh SdR. Hope the Bankies had the cash reserves to absorb that blow – I know it would have been a nasty one for VSU to take, say.

Great work of course, Janik. Had to look up Sean's cup game after your comment about the "four-letter" comment from the winning manager. Classy, indeed. Very bad luck with the result Sean – it's a git to have had the two-goal lead from the first leg wiped out in 37 minutes and then, with 53+ still left to play with, to be unable to find a reply to grab the aggregate win.
                                            Well done AH on Csiki Girls' best cup run, and to Etienne for flying the OTF flag solo into Round 5. A tricky tie coming up, all the best with it.

Comment

And yes, VSU's game last Tuesday was incredible. 83 cagey minutes, but then insane drama down the closing stretch after Old Norse foes Wælcyrie had that player dismissed. 86th-minute 'winner' for us cancelled out in the 90th, only for us to snatch it back again with the final kick 4 minutes into stoppage time. Having missed last week's game I thought I'd screwed up our season good 'n' proper, but hopefully we can use this as a springboard to bounce back.
                                              Fingers crossed the Viking men's side can follow the women's lead, too. I missed last Monday's VNU game too, so must go and set tactics now for this afternoon's Div 1 Ultimate League fixture as we're 0-0-2 at the moment. Unfortunately we're playing Etienne's Cardiff Dragons today!

Comment

If you've no time for tactics don't worry.

Comment

Dandy Town have a decent lead but wouldn't it be remarkable if Hornville become the first team to have won the OTF League as well as the OTF Cup?

Comment

Steaua Bridge have a tough run-in so I think our current fifth place is probably as good as we can hope for despite being close to the promotion places. In our first five games we had 1W 3D 1L and of course those are the five teams we now face again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X