No announcement yet.

OTF Wordle matchplay tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies for the delay in replying, but Max (now my avatar picture), Nell and the family spent the day yesterday on some of the finest beaches in the land (well, East Yorkshire anyways) and by the time we got back home, we were too knackered to log on and respond. Many, many thanks for all of your kind words, they are much appreciated, and a huge thank you to irony towers for setting this up and keeping us all entertained with his reports and updates. Thanks to everyone who's golfing analogies have been witty and in many cases, genuine laugh out loud. Max is now enjoying a well earned rest next to me in my office as those coming-up-for-14 year old bones are beginning to creak a bit (though he did have the energy to chase a bird on his morning walk earlier). Thanks again, and well played to everyone who took part.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha I scored 4 today. Sorry for confusion yesterday

Comment

Another lacklustre 5, Sean of the Shed

Comment

A par 4 today, Jah Womble

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
            Hope David A. is OK. Anyway, I got a 4 on #261. Did it too fast - if I'd stopped and thought a bit more I'd have entered the correct answer in line 3 instead of the one letter different and somehow less likely word I went for.
            I'm good, thanks.

Thought I posted yesterdays - I got a four. Also got a four today.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
              Another lacklustre 5, Sean of the Shed
              I managed to get it in 4.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                My game has gone to pot in this last round with another 5, which may well be my last hole in the competition. Hot Orange
                Alas, that appears to be the case, as I managed a 4. Thanks for the game, almost every hole was a close one.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                  A par 4 today, Jah Womble
                  Five for me. Slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                    Apologies for the delay in replying, but Max (now my avatar picture), Nell and the family spent the day yesterday on some of the finest beaches in the land (well, East Yorkshire anyways) and by the time we got back home, we were too knackered to log on and respond. Many, many thanks for all of your kind words, they are much appreciated, and a huge thank you to irony towers for setting this up and keeping us all entertained with his reports and updates. Thanks to everyone who's golfing analogies have been witty and in many cases, genuine laugh out loud. Max is now enjoying a well earned rest next to me in my office as those coming-up-for-14 year old bones are beginning to creak a bit (though he did have the energy to chase a bird on his morning walk earlier). Thanks again, and well played to everyone who took part.
                    Good lad Max

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      San Bernardhinault a frustrating missed birdie opportunity; just a par 4 today.
                      My trusty old driver came out today and that resulted in a three.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

A 2 says we are.
                        Five holes without a win now. I need to pull out all the stops for these last two.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                          Missed an easy putt and thus holed in 5 today Reality Checkpoint
                          A standard par 4 for me

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

My trusty old driver came out today and that resulted in a three.
                            Nice one SB. I’ll need a third comeback inside one round if I’m to salvage this.
                            Last edited by Sits; 07-03-2022, 11:48.

Comment

I'm unclear if this trainwreck is still going on, but having thrown my clubs into the pond yesterday, I eked out a 5 this morning.

Comment

WOM You're still in unless ad hoc beats your 5 today, in which case that would be a victory by 3 & 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                  Antepli Ejderha I scored 4 today. Sorry for confusion yesterday
                                  A 5 today.

Comment

WOM You're still in unless ad hoc beats your 5 today, in which case that would be a victory by 3 & 2.
                                    Nope, I got a 5 too

Comment

Various Artist , I can't quote your post for some reason but I got a five today so with your par four I'm back to only one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                        As per VA and EEG, a heartbreaking miss on the birdie putt means a disappointing par 4 today lambers
                                        In any other round against me, that would be enough. But, once again, the golfle fairy has sprinkled some dust and blessed me with a birdie three.

Sorry to keep you waiting so long today, manic work-day!

Comment

How unexpected that, when nmrfox and Etienne are no longer in competition, the stroke average inflates to 4.17.

Two results on today's vidiprinter:

Hot Orange beat pebblethefish 3 & 2

Sean of the Shed
                                          beat Discordant Resonance 3 & 2

Just one match - mine against Kev - is guaranteed to go the full distance.

Scoreboard update later, as well as some thoughts about where we might go with this in future.

Comment

Scoreboard update later, as well as some thoughts about where we might go with this in future.
                                            If I can cheekily jump in...

A seven week tournament played for 5 minutes on each of up to 36 days will likely struggle to keep interest, not least as each player only faces 4 opponents.

If possible...how about best of 5 rather than 9, use the accessible archive to have more than one round per day?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                              Various Artist , I can't quote your post for some reason but I got a five today so with your par four I'm back to only one up.
                                              Ooh, nicely calibrated to keep interest going right to the closing holes!

Comment

Day 40 report:

Forty days of matchplay, forty nights of narrative whimsy. Too long to sustain the interest? Not, I trust, if your match is one of the breathless affairs where each day has brought a new twist to the tale. Surely it will be etched in the family annals that Sean of the Shed, aka the Flashing Blade, stepped into the fray 31 times and twice - twice - emerged neither victor nor vanquished. As in round 3, Sean yielded no quarter from a position of parity after four holes, and expertly timed the finishing kick. That match is one of four in this round to have reached hole 7 with no halves on the card; across all the previous rounds, that occurred only three times. Rage, rage against the tying of the fight.

Hot Orange's flame flickered vigorously enough to cremate pebblethefish, who played as though still recoiling Looney Tunes-style from the Acme anvil-drop of defeat at the hands of nmrfox. Auntie Beryl and Duncan Gardner both lie dormie 2 in their pursuit of a first match victory, and Sporting and ad hoc are similarly looking to upgrade from the secured half-point.

Attention, all stops in the East Anglia region: you are hereby served notice that Kevin S and I will track you down, and we will pull you OUT.

Easter egg hunters: did you spot the double-yolker in yesterday's report?

Current Round 4 scoreboard:
                                                Pts 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
                                                nmrfox 3 W3 W2 W3 H4 W3 H3 Won 4 & 3
                                                Etienne 3 H4 H3
                                                Sits 2.5 W3 W3 W2
                                                San Bernardhinault 2.5 W5 W2 W4 W3 1 UP
                                                irony towers 2 H3 W3 H4 H3 W2 A/S
                                                Kevin S 2 W3 W2 H3 H4 H3
                                                Sam 2 W4 H4 W4
                                                Sporting 2 W3 H4 W4 W3 W3 2 UP
                                                Reality Checkpoint 2 W4 W4 W3 W4 1 UP
                                                Foot of Astaire's 2 W2 W3 W2
                                                pebblethefish 1.5 W3 H4 H5
                                                Hot Orange 1.5 W3 W3 H4 W4 H5 W4 Won 3 & 2
                                                WOM 1.5 H5 H4 H4 H5 H5
                                                ad hoc 1.5 H5 W4 H4 H4 H5 W3 H5 2 UP
                                                Balderdasha 1.5 W3 W4 W3 W3 1 UP
                                                Various Artist 1.5 W4 W2 W4
                                                Sean of the Shed 1.5 W3 W4 W3 W3 W4 Won 3 & 2
                                                Discordant Resonance 1 W4 W3
                                                Jah Womble 1 H5 H4 W4 H4
                                                Auntie Beryl 1 H5 H4 W3 H4 W3 W4 2 UP
                                                Antepli Ejderha 1 H5 H4 W2 H5
                                                Duncan Gardner 0.5 H5 H4 W2 H5 W3 W4 2 UP
                                                Evariste Euler Gauss 0.5 H5 W3 W3 H4
                                                David Agnew 0.5 W3 W3 W3 H5 H4 1 UP
                                                Simon G 0 W2 H3 H4 W2
                                                lambers 0 W2 H3 H4 W2 W3 1 UP
                                                Last edited by irony towers; 08-03-2022, 00:12.

Comment

Wordle matchplay: where next?

This is all up for negotiation, and I'm absolutely not precious about keeping stewardship if someone wishes to do it their way. Of course, any future plans are predicated on whether the Wordle game itself is still a thing (in the sense of retaining the interest it has generated) and remains free to access in the longer term.

Thank you, Duncan Gardner, for your thoughts above; all contributions are very welcome. As far as I can judge I haven't picked up a waning of interest during the tournament. I'm assuming that people knew what they were signing up for, and I think the tournament has worked because it's an adjunct to our daily Wordle routine. For that reason I wouldn't want to make it any more complicated to administer, nor for it to become any more onerous for competitors than playing the day's Wordle and posting the score.

A nine-hole match has often allowed for shifts in momentum and, in my imagining at least, for a story to develop. If we were to keep to the matchplay format, a contest scheduled for five holes could be over in three.

I'd be wary of trying to coordinate another tournament of this type between now and, say, September, because of holidays etc. We might perhaps try a matchplay knockout after Easter where each match comprises four holes with sudden-death deciders where needed. Players eliminated in the first round could go into a Plate knockout to extend involvement.

October/November might work for another tournament along the lines of the current one. I expect I could run it, though it might be scoreboards with no write-ups unless I find I can't help myself.

My absolute dream would be to have a full-on Ryder Cup format; GB versus Rest of the World could be feasible. There would need to be a bespoke schedule but you could certainly have team captains nominating the pairings and playing order, staggered starts and the authentic mix of doubles and singles matches (for foursomes I envisage each member of the pair playing two holes in every four, viz. GB1 v RoW1, GB2 v RoW2, GB1 v RoW2, GB2 v RoW1). They could be 18-hole matches if enough people had the stomach for it; again I don't think that's unrealistic if Wordle and OTF are daily ports of call.

Comment

Good grief, that Ryder Cup sounds an absolute doozy IT, amazing! Otherwise, I agree the ebb-and-flow narrative really needs at least 9 holes to develop, at any rate.

Whatever tournament you decide on I'll sign up like a shot though, I'm sure. Thank you so much for the hugely entertaining time we've had so far.

I love the Dylan Thomas paraphrase up there, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X