Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF Wordle matchplay tournament

How Wordle matchplay works:

A head-to-head match involves pitting your score against a named opponent on 9 Wordle games (or 'holes' if we're maintaining the golf terminology). The player with the better score wins the hole, or the hole is halved if both players have a matching score (including both failing in six turns) .

A full match comprises nine holes. If one player is, say, three holes up with two to play, that's an unassailable lead and the match is concluded as a win by '3 & 2'. If both players finish all square, the match is halved.

So, you play, you post your score, and I'll give updated scoreboards as regularly as I can so that you know where you stand in your match.

The key feature of matchplay is that the number of 'strokes'/turns on one hole is immaterial to anything else. You could lose the first hole by 6 strokes against 2, then win the next two by 4 strokes against 5, and you'd be leading by one hole.
    Last edited by irony towers; 25-01-2022, 00:27.

This will now be a Swiss tournament in which all competitors play all four rounds of matches. This will allow maximum flexibility and participation.

Entries for the first round are welcome until 2000 hrs GMT on Sunday, 23rd January. The pairings for the first round will be published on Sunday evening, and Monday's Wordle game will be the first hole.

The winner of a head-to-head match scores one point; if the match is all square after nine holes, each player scores half a point. In the Swiss system, for each subsequent round players are paired (as far as possible) with players on the same number of match points.

If two or more players are tied on the leading score after four rounds, the tournament winner will be determined by sudden-death elimination on further Wordle games, unless the players involved agree to a longer-form tiebreak method.

Comment

Each nine-hole match ought to be completed over a maximum of 14 days, so you aren't compelled to play nine days consecutively. If you know you aren't available to play on (eg) Saturday, it would be helpful to notify me of this (and perhaps PM your opponent) by 1800 hrs GMT on Friday, and that pair will not contest the next day's hole. If you miss a day for unforeseen reasons, you will not forfeit a hole as long as it leaves ample chance for the match to be concluded within 14 days.

When all matches in a round have been concluded, the pairings for the next round will be published at least 24 hours before the starting hole, and all matches in the round will start simultaneously.

Comment

Excellent work Sir

Comment

List of entrants:
          @Sean of the Shed
          @Hot Orange
          @Evariste Euler Gauss
          Duncan Gardner
          @Kevin S
          @nmrfox
          @Etienne
          @WOM
          @Sporting
          @Antepli Ejderha
          @ad hoc
          @San Bernardhinault
          @caja-dglh
          @Simon G
          @irony towers
          David Agnew
          pebblethefish
          lambers
          Foot of Astaire's
          Balderdasha
          Discordant Resonance
          Jah Womble
          Reality Checkpoint
          Sam
          Various Artist
          Sits
          Last edited by irony towers; 30-01-2022, 14:48.

Comment

For those who aren't following the discussion elsewhere, the Wordle spoilers thread will remain open. If you accidentally see a hint before playing the game, on account of how your notifications are configured, then please call it and that hole will be disregarded for your match.

It will be interesting to see whether the matchplay format affects the tactics of your shot selection:

Comment

Can I join please if not too late?

Comment

Absolutely, Balderdasha ! (Entries remain open until 2000 hrs GMT on Sunday.)

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                  Absolutely, Balderdasha ! (Entries remain open until 2000 hrs GMT on Sunday.)
                  Thanks.

Comment

The draw for the first matchplay round:

Play starts from tomorrow (Monday) and this nine-hole match ought to be concluded by close of play on Sunday, 6th February at the latest.
                    Last edited by irony towers; 23-01-2022, 23:00.

Comment

I got my notification.

We should post our scores at any time during the day?

Comment

Yes, all I need is the number of turns you took on that day's game. You might like to tag your opponent in the message to help them keep track.

I'll aim for daily updates of the match scores by around 11pm GMT, if all results are in by then.

Comment

Looking forward to this irony towers not sure why you cannot tag, have you tried a space after the name?

I'd also like to congratulate my opponent, David Agnew, on his comfortable victory.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, AE. Yes, I've tried the tagging with and without spaces, and in and out of the table format. I'll trust that all competitors are expecting this to start, and I think everyone checks in to OTF regularly enough to pick up the news of the draw.

Comment

Good luck all

Comment

Thanks, irony towers . Looking forward to it.

Comment

Thanks for sorting this IT

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                  Apologies that the tagging is more miss than hit; should I be doing anything besides @[username]?
                                  When tagging loads of people, I find it is inconsistent on "normal" view. Switching to source view (little icon with <> at the left of all the fonts and stuff) and back frequently fixes that for me.

Comment

Thank you so much, lambers! It didn't work for me directly, but set me on the right trail to see how to fix it.

Comment

Sean of the Shed I got a 3.

Comment

I got a 4. Sorry, am I supposed to message SB about that or is just posting my score here enough? No idea how to do that tagging thing.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss Also a 4

Comment

No, it isn't required that you tag your opponent; it's fine simply to post your score on the thread.

(The way tagging is meant to work is to type '@' then the username, and select it when it's recognised.)

Comment

4 Kevin S

Comment

Foot of Astaire's A patchy 5 for me.

Comment

4 Simon G

Comment

Working...
                                                  X