No announcement yet.

It's A VAR Gas: Switzerland v Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never a red in my day. The game's gone etc.

Comment

Who is the co-commentator who reckons that's not a red? Why not just say "I was a dirty bastard when I played"?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Who is the co-commentator who reckons that's not a red? Why not just say "I was a dirty bastard when I played"?
        Lee Dixon on ITV.

Comment

Lee Dixon doesn’t think it’s deserved.

Wouldn’t have been a red in his day, but then again we aren’t in his day.

(Edit: Okay - a few of us of that opinion, then…)

Comment

Mark Clattenburg says it wasn't a red, same for Efan Ekoku.

Similar looking to the tackle in the recent game that was upgraded to a red after VAR, I think Freuler got more of the ball and didn't make as much contact as that prior incident.

Comment

Efan Ekoku on ESPN commentary doesn't think it was a red and neither did Mark Clattenburg.

ETA: Although Clattenburg did also say "especially at 1-1", which surely shouldn't come into consideration?

Comment

Peter Walton says it was so the ex-refs disagree.

Thanks RobW RobW for identifying Dixon.

Comment

It's interesting to see a ref make a decisive call right away and not think "well, I can give a yellow now, and if it should have been a red then I can do that after checking VAR"

Comment

Clattenburg seems to be saying that the Ref should have bottled his decision because of VAR - basically VAR can't overturn it because it's not obviously wrong, so he should give a yellow and let VAR overturn for a red if it turns out the tackle was really bad.

It looked like a red card tackle to me, but I'm not a ref.

Comment

Spain's build-up is very laboured; those two five-goal hauls were a false dawn.

Comment

Zubar has had a really good game. Looked shattered as he left the pitch though.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

ETA: Although Clattenburg did also say "especially at 1-1", which surely shouldn't come into consideration?
                          if he genuinely thinks that he shouldn't be a referee
                          As he said it, you can reasonably ignore whatever else he says in commentary

Comment

Can't see Switzerland lasting through extra time tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                              Efan Ekoku on ESPN commentary doesn't think it was a red and neither did Mark Clattenburg.

Another example might be "especially at this early stage".

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Zubar has had a really good game. Looked shattered as he left the pitch though.
                                I feel like Petkovic has been the best manager at the tournament for effective and timely substitutions. Very proactive without being overly-fiddly.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  Clattenburg seems to be saying that the Ref should have bottled his decision because of VAR - basically VAR can't overturn it because it's not obviously wrong, so he should give a yellow and let VAR overturn for a red if it turns out the tackle was really bad.

It looked like a red card tackle to me, but I'm not a ref.
                                  What a fucking dipshit. Thank fuck that spineless responsibility shirking prick doesn't ref games anymore.

Comment

Swiss looking very leggy now. If they survive it'll only because Spain are so ponderous.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post

Lee Dixon on ITV.
                                      See also Kenny Cunningham on RTE, but hard to see any excuse for a chopdown.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        Swiss looking very leggy now. If they survive it'll only because Spain are so ponderous.
                                        Or profligate now, either way the Swiss very much clinging on at present.

Comment

Moreno makes Morata look like a striker

Comment

The Swiss Flag Goalkeeper is a big plus
                                            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 02-07-2021, 18:15.

Comment

Spain with more attempts in this period than the previous 90, I'd reckon.

Comment

30 in 46 for Moreno this year for Villareal, loads of Spanish wanted him over Morata this tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                                  Spain with more attempts in this period than the previous 90, I'd reckon.
                                                  Very much so

Comment

And none of them very good.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X