It's A VAR Gas: Switzerland v Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's A VAR Gas: Switzerland v Spain

A repeat of their meeting in the 2010 World Cup, in which Spain's Tanita Tikitakaram came unstuck against a parked bus.

When I hear Vargas getting a mention I always think of Huggy Bear from Starsky & Hutch, who was played by Antonio Fargas. Anyone else suffer from this affliction?

Comment

I always think Roddy - Melbourne Knights, Victory etc.

Comment

Listed in the Wikipedia category of "Swiss people of Dominican Republic descent", which would make an impressive Mastermind special subject.

The lad can play (you get this punditry for free, you know). But overall I fear for Switzerland, this could be a bit one-sided.

Comment

On one hand, Spain definitely have the firepower to blow the Swiss out of the water.

On the other, they're fragile and profligate enough that they're ripe for a steady counter-puncher to steal a KO, and I could easily see the Swiss taking this one.

The Swiss do have the disadvantage of having Xhaka suspended for this match, although they have a number of fairly experienced heads capable of stepping in, my bet would be that Zakaria would come in to be the most defensive CM and Freuler, who's been quietly very good this tournament, takes over the Xhaka role.

Comment

I didn't realise/recall that Xhaka had picked up a second yellow in the France game, cam anyone recall at what point?

Given how he grew in to the game's dominant figure late on he'll be a huge miss.

Comment

Having seen a fair few Arsenal games, I always just assume that Xhaka's been booked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                I didn't realise/recall that Xhaka had picked up a second yellow in the France game, cam anyone recall at what point?

Given how he grew in to the game's dominant figure late on he'll be a huge miss.
                Agreed- he was immense the other night, meaning Mr Loverman overtook Hips Don't Lie as the Sweesses earworm du jour.

And I guess that's why I can't see beyond a Spanish win now.

Comment

I didn't know Switzerland have never reached a major semi-final. I'd assumed they got to one of those back in the 1930s when it was basically only central European teams entering the World Cup, or at least the one they hosted in 1954. So tonight could be their "Wales 2016 moment" then.

Comment

Tuned in 20 minutes ago. Apart from read the sides out, and purr over Busquets for a couple of minutes, have ITV bothered to do any pre-match analysis? I know it gets in the way of talking about England.

Comment

Spain in front. Alba with a deflected shot from 25 yards (where's my avatar gone?)

Comment

Spain pressing extremely high as with Embolo wide and deeper on the right, there's no real pace up top to threaten their backline.

Comment

That was unfortunate

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            That was unfortunate
                            I thought it was a careless (if instinctive) swipe by Zakaria, maybe I'm being too harsh.

Comment

Can't be long before the "big mountain to climb for Switzerland" metaphors start popping up in the ITV commentary ... and lo and behold there was the first one.

Comment

It probably was

Is that the record setting own goal?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  It probably was

Is that the record setting own goal?
                                  Given to Alba as of now.

Comment

No they gave it to Jordi, man

Comment

Sweat pouring off the players.

Switzerland have put in the most miles of travel during the tournament.

Comment

I'm watching the Tour too much as I keep in thinking the ITV commentator is saying Geraint Thomas is wide right for Spain then realising he is saying Ferran Torres.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                          Can't be long before the "big mountain to climb for Switzerland" metaphors start popping up in the ITV commentary ... and lo and behold there was the first one.
                                          Sam Matterhorn?

Comment

UEFA have just decided it was an own goal.

Comment

Embolo going off means Switzerland are now without their two most impressive players of the tournament so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                UEFA have just decided it was an own goal.
                                                Quite right too.

Comment

Oncomes the titular midfielder.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X