Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gareth Wales Baleathon is back, back, back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, half the team for one. Toshack tried giving them a kick up the arse before the S.M game, but obviousy failed. Since then, the pace has been less pedestrian (Wednesday night excepted).

Comment

So "since then" being the draws in two dead rubbers against the worst Irish side in decades & an already qualified Germany (who possibly didn't want to top the group) and a friendly victory against Norway who were beaten by Macedonia this week (and described as rubbish by Jorge)?

I have to say, weighing up those perfomances and results against Cyprus and San Marino I'm not sure the balance sheet on Toshack's state of the art subtle psychology is really in credit.

Comment

A draw in a derby and going to Germany and getting a point are far from being poor results. Beating Norway 3-0, who regularly quality for major tournaments, is not a poor result either. The Luxembourg win was far from being a good performance, but taking into consideration the side that was out, made it more than acceptable.

Now, this is consistency as far as i'm concerned. The Under 21 squad is booming, and realistically in with a great chance of reaching Sweden 2009. The main squad are also going into these qualifiers with some quiet confidence of doing something.

It's blindingly obvious that Toshack's reign was never going to bear fruition until now at least. Now we can see what it's all about. And hey, if it doesn't, there's some vital blueprints in place for the future. What was left for Toshack apart from an aeging squad (the ones that hadn't retired, that was) , and an under 21 side who'd forgotten what winning felt like.

Comment

So , in summary, yes it's ranged from appalling to fair for almost 3 & 1/2 years since Toshack took the job but let's wait and see?

I really can't see Toshack's credit for the u-21's form, I think Flynn has to get the vast shareof that even if he seems willing to let it go somewhere else.

Comment

Bloody hell Harry, we haven't quailfied for the finals of any competition since 1958. We're far from being a first rate Footballing nation, and have no right to qualify for anything really. I can look forward to the next qualifying campaign with a slight inkling that we can actually make something out of this. Even if we don't, the squad will be around for the following campaign, and the one after that. There are building blocks there, and they will only get better as time goes on.

Comment

anybody going to iceland?

Comment

I would love to, but will probably be Holland if any. Trying to tiptoe the subject with the Girlfriend. She's had bad reports on the place from her friends in the past, and is less than keen on me going. We'll see.

Why are flight to Reykjavik so bloody expensive?

Comment

Cheapest flights to Reykjavik are about £220.

I'm going to Iceland if I'm working again by then, so hopefully.

Comment

Aldo Simoncini wrote:

I can look forward to the next qualifying campaign with a slight inkling that we can actually make something out of this.
                    Why?

Even if we don't, the squad will be around for the following campaign, and the one after that. There are building blocks there, and they will only get better as time goes on
                    Why?

Comment

Because young players tend to improve.

Comment

I am just bumping this up to make sure that no-one invents a new Walesathon

Comment

Would anyone really bother?

What happened to our new Umbro/JJB kit?

Comment

Harry Parsons wrote:

It's not going to be Umbro it's Champion and it's out at the end of the season. Apparently Kappa objected to it being unveiled whilst there were games left to play in their kit.

Comment

Jorge Porbillas wrote:
                              Harry Parsons wrote:

It's not going to be Umbro it's Champion and it's out at the end of the season.
                              Whose season? Champion?!

Comment

Ah, it is that Champion

Comment

Harry Parsons wrote:
                                  Whose season? Champion?!
                                  The Iceland and Holland games are classed as being this season ...

... and yes, that Champion

Comment

The sort of brand that kids laugh at if you have trainers of.

Good grief, how long have the last couple of Wales kits lasted. Was it one game in that white one with red and green sleeves? Was there a yellow one for one game?

Comment

I think Wales may now have worn about five different kits for one game only, some of which they managed to sell replicas of.

Comment

Bored Of The Dance wrote:
                                        The sort of brand that kids laugh at if you have trainers of.
                                        You can taste the pain in that sentence, how long ago was it again, Bored?

Comment

Trainers with brand names on? In Porthcawl? In the 70s?

If someone wore Dunlop Green Flash, they were seen as posh and "taxed" (or whatever it was called then)

Comment

Oh, I presumed some youth in Kensal Rise or Bath had laughed at your choice of trainers in the last decade or so.

I certainly have.

Comment

Have Wales played in this yet?

Comment

Against Norway

Comment

Crikey! Not sure how I missed that?!

Actually, my excuse is that the commentary was in Welsh, so I didn't pick upon it...

Comment

Having been here in Reykjavik for over 24 hours, can I just correct some scurrilous rumours which may affect the numbers of Welsh fans thinking about coming over here at the end of the month. Beer is not 8 pound a pint - it's only around six pound fifty {a bottle of wine will set you back at least fifty quid though}.

An extra word of warning for Harry - the coach is a huge John Toashack fan!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X