No announcement yet.

SalopChat and other clubs - Division 3 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoyed Luton are up already - I was hoping they'd have something to play for on Saturday. Now it'll be a party, and they'll probably batter us.

(Ultimately though, I find it satisfying that they and Barnsley go up automatically when the giants of Pompey and Sunderland don't. But still.)

Comment

Southend should be huge beneficiaries of Sunderland now being condemned to the play-offs and also being somewhat exhausted physically. That's bad news for the other four.

Comment

Although on the other hand at least they still have third place (and an ostensibly easier play-off opponent) to compete for with Portsmouth also losing in midweek.

Comment

Half time update...

Southend are beating Sunderland, which relegates Plymouth, who are beating Scunny 2-1, just 3 yellow cards apiece so far, and Walsall, goalless at Shrews.

Wimbledon can crash the relegation party if they concede at Bratford, or indeed if Plymouth go goal crazy in the second half.

At the other end, Donny are winning, keeping Peterborough at bay for the last play off spot.
          Sunderland are down to 5th.

Comment

Portsmouth also losing at home. You'd fancy Charlton in the play-offs at this point.

Luton and Barnsley six points clear. Emphatic.

Comment

Argyle incensed at unsportsmanlike Scunny equaliser ... keper injured, tried to throw it out but didn't reach, Scunthorpe player scored.

Comment

Some fun and games at Plymouth, keeper tries to put it out as he's injured and Scunthorpe don't let it go out and lob him to make it 2-2

Macey is clearly injured, (so much so he is hobbling off and being substituted) and he tries to roll the ball out to get treatment. Scunthorpe don't let the ball go out and chips the injured keeper and it's 2-2...

Comment

Given as an own goal by the keeper, to add insult to injury.

Horribly tense all this.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/grecianred/status/1124735471463075840[/URL]

Comment

Has anyone ever seen a keeper put it out for a corner, to get treatment? Easiest solution, but too big a risk, relying on opposition giving it back?

Comment

That's worse than the Leeds one, where Villa didn't even have the ball, and the play was fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          Has anyone ever seen a keeper put it out for a corner, to get treatment? Easiest solution, but too big a risk, relying on opposition giving it back?
                          Not when injured, but when the back pass rule first came in the 3 keepers at Chesterfield (Mick Leonard, Mike Allison and me) had a day a week training with Eric Steele and we were working on back passes, Mike decided to try stopping the ball and just rolling it out for a corner instead of trying to play with feet. How things have changed eh?

Comment

That is shithousery from Scunny, appalling.

Comment

I'm not sure from the replay how it's an own goal. It was going in and the keeper didn't chuck it in.

Comment

At the moment Argyle can win and still get relegated, which would satisfy my angel and devil on either shoulder.

Comment

They'd lost their previous five though, and only accrued 3 points from 24. The damage was done before today.

Comment

Go on EFL fixture computer, make Plymouth and Scunthorpe play each other on the final day of next season.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                      At the moment Argyle can win and still get relegated, which would satisfy my angel and devil on either shoulder.
                                      And so it was. Still, given the narrow gap in goal difference, they're entitled to feel aggrieved. They had one (unlikely) path closed off.

Comment

What was the unlikely path? Scunthorpe's cheated goal? They still would have needed a couple more.

Wimbledon's escape is amazing. Look at the tables from Feb 9th and today :

Comment

Plymouth were 12th on March 17th with 45 points and a GD of -12. It must be one of the worst collapses in the history of the third tier from such a position.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/...17-march-2019/

The Plymouth-Wimbledon swing was a point a game in the last 12 games
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-05-2019, 18:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            What was the unlikely path? Scunthorpe's cheated goal? They still would have needed a couple more.
                                            Sure, it was unlikely. But momentum and all that ... we'll never know. Obviously I'm not that bothered, especially as Scunthorpe got what they deserved.

Comment

It's noticeable how Scunthorpe and Plymouth just fell into the relegation places from a height.

And to think Ray wasn't keen on Wally Downes getting the job. Remarkable turnaround.

Comment

Both teams were in the relegation places at the turn of the year, so both got themselves out of the deep water, then climbed to the highest diving board and jumped right back in.

Anyway, commiserations to Plymouth, and I'd like to "apologise to anyone who was offended" by the Scunny equaliser.

But come on now:
                                                He's a goalkeeper. The referee will stop play if the goalkeeper is injured, it's in the laws of the game. He didn't have to make a pathetic attempt to throw the ball out, he should have just let the ref know he was injured. Should have taught him that at Arsenal.
                                                Plus Morris really isn't that type of player, honest guv. There are defenders in the general area, is it not possible he thought it was a spooned throw, and didn't see or hear anything to suggest an injury?
                                                Plus it didn't matter, Scunny are shit and let them score again soon enough, and then Southend won anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  It's noticeable how Scunthorpe and Plymouth just fell into the relegation places from a height.

And to think Ray wasn't keen on Wally Downes getting the job. Remarkable turnaround.
                                                  Yes, I was very sceptical about his managerial credentials and very happy to be roved very wrong. The club also handled the issue of his dubious tweets very well.

Comment

Commiserations to you jwdd and to Greenlander, must have been an insane game and madness of Sky not to choose it as the main match - though I will admit that Southend v Sunderland was more entertaining than I expected. I think that Scunthorpe goal is very much deserving of criticism, especially in a week where we all decried Leeds' one, but not crucial in the end.

Commiserations to Tapiocahead too, if I didn't give them earlier in the season. They had a right go at Wimbledon by the sound of it and made things very nervy. It also sounds like the events commemorating the fire were well observed and I hope the Dons fans on the pitch at the final whistle weren't seen as too provocative.

I really can't get over Wimbledon's escape. Eighth in the form table for the last fifteen games and surviving despite having markedly the lowest goals scored in the division. I'm fascinated as to how Downes and Hodges (who has been crucial apparently) will do with a full season and pre-season with a squad they have more of a say in.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-05-2019, 09:32.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X