No announcement yet.

The Refereeing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the useful responses. I get Janik's explanation but I wonder how many more goals would result, rather than mostly rushed and wild efforts, if the desperate tackles/blocks were removed from the equation?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Can you report this dodgy ump to some kind of body and get him struck off or disbarred or whatever happens to umpires?
      In theory, yes. In practice, no.

If you report them, no action gets taken as it always get dismissed as an isolated incident/sour grapes at defeat. People never have direct evidence of bias, because it is more an insidious accumulation of one-sided decision making than anything thing so obviously outrageous. Even if you had the video of the Ump in action (that no-one believes pre-game will be necessary to take!) then even that won't work - any particular incident taken in isolation can be dismissed as a different interpretation or a mistake.

If enough people could be bothered to report, especially if they were independent of each other, then maybe the authorities might beginning to think "this Ump might actually be a problem" but when people can't see any obvious response to their complaint they feel it wasn't taken seriously and become jaundiced to the whole process. So the accumulation of reports never happens. [a watered-down version of the same thing happening with far more important issues]

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
        Thanks for all the useful responses. I get Janik's explanation but I wonder how many more goals would result, rather than mostly rushed and wild efforts, if the desperate tackles/blocks were removed from the equation?
        Well, yes. I mean I've banged on about this one. The absolute biggest area of cheating in Football, one that dwarves issues like forward's diving, is defenders giving a forward about to shoot "a nudge" or whatever. It is taught, deliberate and mostly condoned by the punditerati - "the defender did well to put her off. She has to do something there to prevent the free shot" even though the defender has got herself into a position where there is nothing legal she can do to affect the play.

My ideal world is all these minor fouls get given even if the shot has been taken. By VAR, if that is what it takes. That puts the defender in double jeopardy - barge into the back of the player leaping for a header to 'knock them off-balance' or throw oneself at a forward about to take a shot in the hope this will make them rush it or only half-commit in self preservation, and the forward gets the goal if they score and the penalty if they don't. Make it better for a beaten defender to back off and just hope the forward misses. And the "But then there will be 20 penalties a game!" merchants are given the stock response "Maybe that will teach to defenders to stop cheating?"

Comment

I completely agree with you, and also put it into practice, which needless to say prompts a lot of aggro. My counter-argument: don't commit fouls in the penalty area if you don't want me to call a penalty. Here's a blog post I wrote on it five years ago: A 'soft' foul in the penalty area is still a penalty kick.

Comment

Why on earth did this thread not come up in a search?

Anyway, this made me laugh, Douglas Ross was apparently running the line at Celtic yesterday:

Douglas Ross.jpg

Comment

Janik Maybe the best solution is to mention it to the umpire in question, directly. "Mate, some of our club don't rate you as an umpire and I'd rather not put you in the position of having to deal with that."

Comment

Howard Webb has apparently apologised for "human errors" regarding yesterday's VAR fuck ups

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Howard Webb has apparently apologised for "human errors" regarding yesterday's VAR fuck ups
                  At least it wasn't in the WC Final eh Howard?

Comment

Janik Maybe the best solution is to mention it to the umpire in question, directly. "Mate, some of our club don't rate you as an umpire and I'd rather not put you in the position of having to deal with that."
                    I'll consider it if he offers again. He probably will.

I'd be worried about blow back the next time he umpires one of our teams at his club though. But he couldn't be any more, erm, esoteric in his decision making... could he? Nah. He couldn't... Hmm.

Comment

Perhaps we need a VARR system to deal with clear and obvious VAR errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                        I'll consider it if he offers again. He probably will.

I'd be worried about blow back the next time he umpires one of our teams at his club though. But he couldn't be any more, erm, esoteric in his decision making... could he? Nah. He couldn't... Hmm.
                        Well it will go one of two ways. Either he will try to be as scrupulous as possible to prove you wrong or he will set out to punish you and therefore prove you right.

I'd suggest making it an issue for unidentified people at the club so he feels you are saving him from aggro.

Comment

Three-game weekend, plenty to discuss.

Comment

Unsurprisingly, they were reporting a referee shortage in the local leagues near me and I, briefly, contemplated signing up.

I'd be interested to know imp if, given your experiences you'd feel you could recommend taking refereeing up, to a friend or relative?

Comment

Advantages: keeps you fit; gets you out the house; you realise you never actually properly knew the Laws of the Game; you'll learn a lot about yourself, about football, and the human race in general; you'll have a stock of anecdotes to amuse everyone you know for hours on end...

Disadvantages: read the blog and the book... (today's post was my 200th. blog entry). As I wrote in a tweet yesterday: "It's a shit job. You'll love it!"

Comment

I think that the only way you'll find out if it's for you is to try it.

Comment

If you do try it FoA, and best wishes if you do, obviously have a thick skin and don't take it all personally. Speaking for myself as a ref of far too many years to count, happy to support and be a shoulder to cry on if you do take up the challenge!

Comment

Sorry. Made a crap joke but realised it could easily have come across badly.

Comment

Referee at the game I went to today was very good, actually. He handled things really well onfield, communicated well and in a good manner to players, held his hands up when he made an error (he gave a throw to the home side then changed it to the away side) and apologised to the manager and confronted an angry, sweary man who’s son looked frightened to make a mistake, which meant he ended up making a few.

Comment

Did you tell him this in person? It's nice to hear when you have officiated well and people have appreciated that...

Not that I would have received such kudos today. And I will definitely be getting negative feedback as me and my colleague had a coach present watching us. File under "When another official has a seriously off day, and that drags you down in turn"

Comment

Well I didn't think villas penalty was the correct decision. The Everton lad played the ball and the villa lads knee moved towards his before contact.

Im also saying nothing about the Livingstone feller doing sun v cov.

Comment

Another fine example of what utter twats footballers are at the end of the Palace-Liverpool game with Palace seeming to think time should be extended indefinitely to let them take another shite corner well after the 90+3 were up. One Palace player booked, another half dozen and a couple of coaches still arguing as the ref politely and patiently pointed at his watch instead of just standing his ground and shouting FUCK OFF THE FUCKING LOT OF YOU, YOU DUMB FUCKS ..... yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, second yellow for you and red NOW FUCK OFF

Comment

However tempting it might be, any official that greets aggression in kind knows all they are doing is abruptly ending their career. Because they wouldn't be doing their job, a major part of which is to attempt to maintain control of things. Escalating them does the opposite of keeping things under control.

Comment

Your Monday morning column from the amateur reffing frontlines...

Comment

20% off Reffing Hell for World Book Day (discount applied at checkout).

Comment

The incident that happens at about a minute here, it's definitely one red card for the wolves player desperately chasing after his heavy touch, but also a second red for fabinho?

What do refs do if they see something like this? (The only other example I can think of off the top of my head is jonjo shelvey's red card and pointing finger against man utd. Evans's challenge should also have been a red)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X