Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off you go, Mr Cantona! Early bath for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All those teams benefited from having more than eleven players, mind.

Comment

man utd's record after cantona's kick was
      p16 w10 d4 l2 F30 A7 Pts 34

the record before the incident was
      p26 w16 d6 l4 F47 a 21 pt 54

they're both pretty similar in terms of results, if anything man utd's scoring rate actually increased slightly, but the actual goals were a little lumpier. They conceded markedly fewer goals. Peter schmeichel conceded one goal at old trafford all season. Gary Walsh conceded three around christmas time.

there was a period of time between 15 march and the 17th of april where united failed to score in 4 of their six games. but then again they hadn't exactly done brilliantly in the reverse fixtures.

Almost as big a factor is the massive falling off of form of andrei kanchelskis, who was scoring a goal every two games up until new years eve, and then he scored another three goals between then and the end of the season. he missed the end of the season with a hernia, but he and his agent had also had a falling out with ferguson.

Comment

Thinking back, I think the reason why the United side of those early Premier League years was so despised is because it was packed with nasty bastards who could start fights in an empty room - Cantona, Ince, Mark Hughes, Roy Keane. Within 2 years of this incident though, only Keane remained and the class of 92 never seemed as objectionable as those who laid the groundwork for them.

it's odd how those players got such a terrible reputation, yet all of the others who kicked them didn't. I watched a clip recently of when cantona was sent off against Arsenal for lashing out in retaliation. He picked up a second booking for retaliating to what would have been a fourth straight red card tackle, and all of the commentator's condemnation is for cantona.

People just remember those players because they won things, while the neil ruddock's, julian dicks and wimbledon's of this world have vanished from our memories.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: All those teams benefited from having more than eleven players, mind.
          The was pre-Bosman, don't forget.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Sort of with ale on the Cantona incident too. At the time my reaction was that a notoriously violent player with a short fuse had attacked a fan gobbing off at him from the stands, the latter something which happens at every football ground at just about every game that's played. The abuse of Cantona's nationality during the incident is used to suggest that this was a brave example of anti-racism, but that information didn't come out until much later on, and thus I'm quite surprised by how many people on here seemed to have been immediately delighted when they heard the news.
            I take it you're not interested in hearing about my time fighting in the International Brigades, then?

Comment

The Cantona/Les Ferdinand Nike commercial was frankly hilarious.

Nothing like a corporation assuming the moral high ground. A corporation that forged its wealth on the back of exploiting poor bastards in the 3rd world

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Thinking back, I think the reason why the United side of those early Premier League years was so despised is because it was packed with nasty bastards who could start fights in an empty room - Cantona, Ince, Mark Hughes, Roy Keane. Within 2 years of this incident though, only Keane remained and the class of 92 never seemed as objectionable as those who laid the groundwork for them.

it's odd how those players got such a terrible reputation, yet all

of the others who kicked them didn't. I watched a clip recently of when cantona was sent off against Arsenal for lashing out in retaliation. He picked up a second booking for retaliating to what would have been a fourth straight red card tackle, and all of the commentator's condemnation is for Cantona.

People just remember those players because they won things, while the neil ruddock's, julian dicks and wimbledon's of this world have vanished from our memories.
                But they weren't managed by a paranoid bully with a chip on both shoulders and a seige mentality.

*Correcetion - given that Dicks and Ruddock were managed by Graeme Souness at Liverpool, I'll amend that to a "successful, paranoid bully with a chip on both shoulders and a seige mentality."

Comment

Back on the 'where were you' track, in those days I used to listen to Mark and Lard late on 5 Live in bed, and the 10.30 news/sport bulletin opened with the guy saying 'if you don't know what's happened, turn your TV on now, it'll be on soon' - that was all the encouragement I needed.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I held a grudge over Cantona's stamp on John Polston's head from a year earlier. Great player though.

Looks like Garcia started a discussion about that team several years ago if anyone fancies a read:
                    http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-football/284864-coping-with-manchester-united

Comment

But they weren't managed by a paranoid bully with a chip on both shoulders and a seige mentality.

DOn't forget kenny dalglish, george graham, glenn hoddle, bruce rioch, mark mcGhee, howard wilkinson, joe royle, joe kinnear and ron atkinson.

Comment

The main impact of the Cantona incident, we can now see, was the massive kickstart it gave to the "What this minor football incident says about every single one of us as a nation" industry. The volume of cod-socio-political bullshit analysis written about it at the time, most in "Poor Tortured Eric's" defence, written from a perspective of notable ignorance about the game, was staggering.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                          People just remember those players because they won things
                          Difficult to forget about them when every five minutes you had an army of non mancunian glory hunters battering on about how amazing they were.

Comment

yes, because before this every fan of every club in england was hatched, matched and dispatched while never moving more than walking distance of their ground.

Comment

Yeah that's obviously nonsense. Man United, Liverpool and even Leeds had legions of out of town fans from the early 70s on, but - like everything - that trend became turbo-charged in the Premier League era, and Man United, as the leading club of those early fiery years of the breakaway, became particularly reviled as the symbol of those trends.

Comment

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: Can't remember where I was when I first heard about it - probably wasting time playing the SNES or something. My reaction was a) Go on, Eric and b) Well, that's the title gone.

On another message board years ago the photo was used as a caption competition.

A keen-eyed observer noted the presence of Rodney and Del Boy in the crowd (immediately above Cantona's head) and remarked that the bloke to their right looks like he's thinking to himself, "Yep. Typical."
                                The lad in the burgundy coat on the far right is saying "a fight, a real live fight!", and Terry-Thomas in the trench-coat is saying "an absolute shower"

Comment

Is that not a woman in the burgundy coat?

Comment

Green Calx wrote: Is that not a woman in the burgundy coat?
                                    Yes, the "lad" is definitely of the female sex.

Comment

Well, certainly a more aggressive member of the fairer sex!

Comment

reminds me a bit of this thing from the guardian today - pretty sure their "brian clough lookalike" is a woman

http://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2015/jan/24/sport-picture-of-the-day-wheres-cloughie

Comment

Burgundy coat woman's glee at the outbreak of violence is indeed a joy to behold. I also like the sepulchral dignity of the guy with greying hair and the leather jacket (in front of Terry Thomas). Simmonds not doing himself any favours in the forthcoming PR war by Nazi saluting even in the process of being assaulted.

Comment

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote:

and remarked that the bloke to their right looks like he's thinking to himself, "Yep. Typical."
                                            John Malkovich?

Comment

Richie Sadlier's take on things. You'll be unsurprised to discover that players don't really like it when someone is screaming abuse at them.

Comment

This was Millwall, after all, not the GAA.
                                                Not sure what point Richie's trying to make there.
                                                If he's saying the GAA is a bastion of civilisation then he's dead wrong. Those culchies (players and spectators) beat the shit out of each other and match officials with alarming regularity.

Comment

That's precisely the point he's making - that that sort of general lawlessness is what goes on in GAA, and he didn't expect it in soccer.

Comment

Aye, I wasn't sure what way he meant it. Millwall's reputation precedes them too somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X