Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off you go, Mr Cantona! Early bath for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mention of the 20th anniversary of the single greatest moment in football history, and the greatest thing to ever happen in London, period?

I don't remember any of the 1994-95 season. Possibly trauma related. Possibly because I was 14 and busy masturbating every 15 minutes under the pretence of revising for mock GCSE exams. So what should have been my JFK moment is more my "Eh? Ok..." moment. Hmmmm. That doesn't really work. I'll have a rethink on that later on and come up with something snappier.

When Eric came back from his post-Selhurst ban and changed from vengeful, Old Testament God to forgiving, double-double winning God, that's when I fully realised that my belief system was naive and childlike and there was a religion for me.

Looking back, despite not being able to remember it actually happening, I think it's one of the single most influential moments in my life. I can completely understand why he says, no doubt with a fair amount of tongue in his lovely, lovely cheek, it's the greatest moment of his career.

Nice one, Eric.

There's a documentary on Radio Five Live about it even as I type.

Comment

One of the top seven moments in football, ever.

Comment

There was a fairly long piece on Radio 4 this morning.

Comment

Can you imagine if it happened today? Fucking hell. It'd be unbearable. He'd never play again, would he?

Comment

Barcelona would buy him.

...or Sheffield United.

...or Oldham.

Comment

I sincerely hope 'period', as used above, is not creeping into British phraseology. But, yeah, it was pretty epic.

Comment

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: Possibly because I was 14 and busy masturbating every 15 minutes under the pretence of revising for mock GCSE exams. So what should have been my JFK moment is more my "Eh? Ok..." moment. Hmmmm. That doesn't really work. I'll have a rethink on that later on and come up with something snappier.
                From erection to Eric Shunned?

Nice tribute by the way. Does your change of user name mean you can no longer access his inner monologue?

Comment

Battering the head off someone who was racially abusing him would probably be less of a problem today. His pre-incident tendencies however would have been a lot more problematical. He was properly nuts.

Comment

It's alright but it's not even my favourite "racist getting a kicking at the football" moment though.

That would be York City v Wrexham in 2011 where a supporter in the home end shouted racial abuse at a Wrexham player then immediately got a kicking off other York fans, got kicked out of the ground and got arrested. He was banned for life within a week.

It was just a really heartwarming moment.

Comment

Jesus, is it really 20 years ago. I remember it distinctly as it happened on the evening that I was suffering my one and only toothache.I'll always be thankful to Cantona for that. For a moment his Bruce Lee impression took my mind off crying my eyes out in pain whilst attempting to saw my head off as I saw it on the 10 o'clock news. Mad bastard.

And it's also responsible for my favorite ever single sleeve:

Comment

It's not until the 25th, appaz. Dunno what the fuss about today is.

Comment

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: No mention of the 20th anniversary of the single greatest moment in football history, and the greatest thing to ever happen in London, period?

I don't remember any of the 1994-95 season. Possibly trauma related. Possibly because I was 14 and busy masturbating every 15 minutes under the pretence of revising for mock GCSE exams. So what should have been my JFK moment is more my "Eh? Ok..." moment.
                          Ha! Johnny-come-lately...

Comment

I'd gone to Aston Villa v Spurs with a mate because we wanted to see Jurgen Klinsmann play. Quarter of an hour into the game, Klinsmann is clear on the edge of the box, when Mark Bosnich takes him out (knee to the chest). Awful foul. Worst I've ever seen at a game. Klinsmann is carried off, the ref having been parachuted in from the 1982 World Cup Semi Final, maybe gave a free kick, but doesn't send Bosnich off.

So, we get back to my mate's car, and it's obvious what the main talking point is going to be. The first words we hear are some pundit (maybe Jimmy Armfield) say "He's got to be banned for life, you just can't assault someone like that". We just think this is an overreaction, and are listening to this in silence, as it's unreal. It's about five minutes before anyone mentions the name Cantona, and it's ages before the news comes on and tells us what actually happened.

Comment

Comment

If I remember correctly didn't Des Lynam who was presenting Sportsnight put his glasses on and with his serious look tell us that something unparalleled in the history of the game had happened at Selhurst?

Comment

Not unparalleled in the history of Clare hurling Deas-Mumhain. (As I've mentioned before Clareman Desmond Lynam's Name is the anglicisation of an Irish name that means South-Munster Leinsterman.)

I was listening to the match on Five live through a lot of crackles I think. And if the match wasn't on, they cut to it for the red card. I remember thinking that cantona getting sent off in a very frustrating game, that united were losing, was a complete fucking disaster.

Comment

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: It's not until the 25th, appaz. Dunno what the fuss about today is.
                                    I was wondering if they'd got the date wrong too. Why all the brouhaha today, just because there was a gap in the R5 schedules tonight?

I'm sure I was at a game that night and got in to see all the why-oh-whys on 'Sportsnight' but Cardiff don't appear to have been playing, anyone know where I was?

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Jesus, is it really 20 years ago. I remember it distinctly as it happened on the evening that I was suffering my one and only toothache.I'll always be thankful to Cantona for that. For a moment his Bruce Lee impression took my mind off crying my eyes out in pain whilst attempting to saw my head off as I saw it on the 10 o'clock news. Mad bastard.

And it's also responsible for my favorite ever single sleeve:

The smile on the bloke in the middle! He looks like his evil schemes have all come to fruition at the same time.

Comment

Football does that though doesn't it? It was a midweek game, so the "anniversary" is midweek.

Comment

I remember it well, I'd done long shift at the docks and was lazing in the bath. My dad who was not a football fan in any sense shouted for me to get myself done to the tv to see this mad bastard give a fan what for.

Contrary bastard my dad - the only other time he got remotely animated about football was when Robbie Fowler snorted the line.

Comment

Anyone else actually at the game? Of course, being there meant I didn't realise what had gone on until getting home.

Palace has been leaving the foot it more than somewhat in the midfield tussles that evening, but Cantona wasn't getting the brunt of that, he was just being effectively blotted out by Richard Shaw, an excellent man-marker, so the sending off, kicking out when he was once again being beaten to a loose ball seemed like pure petulance (although man-marking being the dark art that it is, who really knows for certain- maybe Shaw said far worse to him that night that Matthew Simmonds did).

Comment

The funniest thing to come out of this whole hilarious episode was Tony Wilson coining the phrase Croydon wankers.

The punch Cantona lands to the side of Simmons' empty head after the initial weakish kick is a thing of great beauty.
                                              He hasn't been available for comment ever since. I'm not surprised.

Cantona said tonight on the 5L piece tonight that it's his favourite memory of football because people dream of smacking cunts like Simmons but never actually get to do it and he did.

Comment

nmrfox wrote: If I remember correctly didn't Des Lynam who was presenting Sportsnight put his glasses on and with his serious look tell us that something unparalleled in the history of the game had happened at Selhurst?
                                                Yeah, this is right, they showed the incident straight away on Sportsnight and Des asked Gary Lineker (who I think was doing his first full time punditry gig for the BBC) for a reaction. You can see a bit of this on the BBC website - marvel at Gary's horrendous jacket. Then they showed the highlights of the match itself.

I used to work with a Palace fan who had been at the game, I remember him saying that no-one around him saw the actual incident, and he didn't actually know that anything significant had gone off until the following day.

Comment

Didn't Paul Ince have a cup of tea thrown over him and offer a whole section of the crowd out over it in the aftermath of Cantona's kick? I remember Andy Cole getting quite aerated too.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X