CL Quarter Final first legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anderson finally booked, and whinges to the ref about it even though that is at least his fifth foul of the match.

Comment

"..but Roma arent mugs, they will score"

Not so sure I agree with that. I think Roma have been very poor.

Ferdinand has looked class tonight.

Comment

He has looked good. One wonders how he will manage sandwiched between Brown and O'Shea though.

Comment

Ferdinand has indeed been ok (aside from that cutout pass in the last 3 minutes of the first half)

If Brown or O Shea fillin averagely at right back, they will be fine.

And Anderson is doing a good job at 'noising up' the Roma midfield (and yes he's a cock).

Comment

Didn't someone on here comment that Ferguson would never give ferdinand the captain's armband when Capello did it last week?

Comment

Have finally gotten home.

Schalke are starting to make life difficult for Barca. The awe appears to have worn off.

Comment

There as a great line earlier on in the Shalke v Barca match.
                "Barcelona are passing the ball around almost at will."

As opposed to what? Passing around accidentally?

ANyway, come on Roma. At least make it hard for the risible Manc cunts.

Comment

2-0. It's too easy for United -- Roma look a desperate side.

Look at Philippe Mexes just standing there like an innocent bystander. Christ . . .

Ronaldo almost makes it 3-0 immediately but the keeper palms it onto the post. Roma have gone.

Comment

Altintop misses a gilt edged chance in alone on Valdes, a minute after Asamaoah tips one almost as good just wide.

Comment

Tits.

Comment

Has the Guardian m-o-m guy made up the multiple chances that Roma has wasted and/or Van der Saar has saved?

Comment

yours or really really nice ones (edited for absolute lunacy)?

*to hobbes

Comment

Barca are not going to make the final without Messi.

Comment

Man Utd should be about 5 or 6 up by now. They wont regret it. It has been both clinical and exceptional. Defensive and boring, but penetrating when they had to be. I am not a fan, but that was class.

Comment

Though they do hold on tonight and go back to the Camp Nou 1-0 up.

Schalke had at least half a dozen good chances in the last half hour, including two free headers in the last five minutes. A very fortunate result for Barca, especially as the goal came following a fumble by Neurer.

Comment

is it worth watching the highlights now?

Comment

You won't see much of Thierry . . .

Comment

There's a documentary on ITV4.

Cristiano Ronaldo: The Story So Far

Should be great...

Comment

The few minutes I watched of MU Roma thing was painful viewing - beautiful game my arse, hoof and pressure, Rooneys goal was something out of a league of Ireland match.

Comment

That seems to be on every Champions League night on ITV4.

Man Utd were seriously impressive in that game and could indeed have won by a hatful. They were through man for man a number of times towards the end but poor finishing let them down.

Comment

I'm afraid I have to disagree with ua for once; Barcelona were well in control in the first half against Schalke and fully deserved their half-time lead. Sure, Schalke upped the tempo a bit in the second half, and had one or two chances, but to be honest they seemed quite technically limited. They ran a lot but their chances were all snatched or a bit scrappy, and lacking in danger.

Comment

I'm in love with Cristiano Ronaldo and what to have his babies. What a player!

I suppose I need not fret about a Schalke vs Man Utd semi. Unless Schalke can do what Köln did in ca. 1981, and rebound from a 0-1 home defeat in the first leg and beat Barcelona 4-o at the Nou Camp (Look here).

Comment

Lodzu, I only saw the last 35 minutes, and completely defer to you for what happened before then. It was more than one or two chances though, and while agree that they were often snatched, that didn't make them less dangerous.

Comment

A good win for United but Roma were dreadful.

One moment summed up their performance: about five minutes from time Mexes stopped a dangerous Ronaldo run with a good tackle and set off with the ball in acres of space only to take two awful touches and run it out of play with no United player within 10 yards of him.

It would have been laughable in the Sunday Leagues.

Comment

That first round of the UEFA Cup in 1980/81 had a few other surprising results. Nirably:

Widzew Lodz - Juventus Turin 3:1
                                                    Juventus Turin - Widzew Lodz 1:4 i.E.

and

FC Porto - Grasshopper Zürich 2:0
                                                    Grasshopper Zürich - FC Porto 3:0 n.V.

Also noteworthy was St Etienne beating Hamburg, European Cup finalists just a few months earlier, 5-0 away.

Next round, Ipswich beat Lodz 5-0/0-1, then knocked out St Etienne, and in the semis Köln.

I'll leave it to Phoebe Disco to tell us what happened next.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X