CL Quarter Final first legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm out of here and won't be back until tomorrow. Not sure how it will go tonight. If utd go with tevez and rooney, and attack from the beginning then I could see this tie being over by half time. If they go with three in midfield and cede the momentum to Roma, I can see Roma getting a narrow lead.

I'm not sure that fergie and Quierroz appreciate that a huge part of utd's impressive defensive record this season is down to the opposition being so fucking scared of their attack to attack properly themselves, and when they try and pack midfield and try to be cagy and defend, it doesn't work very well.

Anyway I'm not sure that carrick puts in more defensive work in midfield than tevez, and he's nowhere near as good an attacker.

I hope the police behave themselves tonight.

Roma's coach has been trying to wind up Man Utd, saying that United are terrible away etc.

Which may be true, but I don't think anyone at Roma is in a great spot to laugh at Man Utd just yet.

I dread the notion of a Schalke vs Man Utd semi-final.

Comment

AIATL's assessment is very simplistic but spot on. United are so strong going forward they should go out and attack. The effect this will have on the opposition will bring them the best outcome. United's set-up in previous away legs has complicated their play, despite the rationale behind it. They're that sort of team.

A guy I work with was in Rome a fortnight ago for the derby, and was stunned by how the Roma full backs were beaten by Lazio's wide men time and time again. If United committ enough men to their attack, they'll get a few goals tonight, I'm sure.

United to win 2-1.

Comment

Well, I personally hope Roma stuff the smug bastards. How they do it is immaterial.

Comment

By the way, those doing the fantasy league on UEFA.com need to update their teams sharpish if they haven't already. I just had to dump 7 players from my squad at a cost of 14 points as they were no longer involved in the competition

Comment

Roma's central defensive pairing tonight consists of Mexes and Panucci. If United can't make hay against those two, they should be shot.

Hargreaves is on the bench again -- I thought these kinds of away European fixtures were what he was specifically bought for?

Comment

I fancy the Champions League to follow the pattern of the FA Cup, and all 4 quarter-finals will go the way of upsets.

Roma-Schalke and Liverpool-Fenerbahce in the semis. How cool would that be. It's still the greatest club competition in the world, and only the best teams can win it ...

Comment

Hieronymus Bosch wrote:
                Roma's central defensive pairing tonight consists of Mexes and Panucci. If United can't make hay against those two, they should be shot.
                I thought R5 must have been making an egregious error when they listed Panucci in the centre of defence. What on earth is that about?

Comment

They also have Juan but he hasn't played much this season.

I'm watching it here and Panucci is definitely stationed at centre-half. Also, Ronaldo is playing as a striker instead of a winger.

Comment

david pleat. what a cock

"roma fans enjoying seeing the best attacking player in the world" after ronaldo had got the ball and received the kind of booing steven gerrard would get in the everton social club

also, "not a seat unsold" as the camera was in front of a section 50% full

Comment

Juan is hurt, Ferrari was absolutely catastrophic in Cagliari, and Spalletti thinks that Panucci's lack of pace is less likely to be fatal in the middle.

Comment

has the question "Is Mercedes Actros any relation to ursus" been answered elsewhere?

United are doing ok for now... they need a goal, and better, they need Roma to continue to be as average as they are now.

Comment

The Mercedes Actros is a large lorry, geron.

And your boy Bojan has just put Barca ahead [insert smiley thing]

Comment

Anderson's a brilliant player but his shooting consistently stinks. You can see why he hasn't scored a single goal all season.

He ballooned the ball miles over the bar a couple of times against Liverpool and he's just done it again. It's as if he doesn't know he should lean forward and get over the ball when having a shot.

Comment

Schalke 0 Barca 1 (Bojan)

edit, already posted.

Comment

my boy? I think you may have misunderstood almost everything I ever said, S ursus.

(However I do take credit for saying that he was the best thing since sliced eggs in 2004... and as I only joined in 2006, I defy any disprovisation, although feel free to disprove that word)

Comment

and United are starting to take control of this... Worryingly for Roma, Ronaldo is not involved, and Evra is screaming down the left.

Comment

gerontophile wrote:
                                    (However I do take credit for saying that he was the best thing since sliced eggs in 2004...
                                    He was 13 in 2004!

Vucinic is a dangerous player, I can see him having plenty of fun against our awful defence in September.

Comment

sorry, I wasnt here before noon!

and now that Vidic is bit hurt, he has a straight route to goal.

John O'Shea? woops.

Comment

what a fucking header

Comment

Forceful header by Ronaldo. Blimey.

Looking a little injured now though.

Comment

That was a great move by United, and an excellent pinpoint cross by Scholes at the end of it.

Comment

Bad, bad miss by Vucinic. An astounding number of players simply refuse to shoot with their weaker foot whatever the cost. He should have just belted that ball with his left foot in full stride.

Comment

incredible header. wow.

Comment

United have the goal, and now it will be a waltz, nee, promenade, to the result they wanted 1-1 (yes, 1-0, but Roma arent mugs, they will score)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X