No announcement yet.

City Football Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Glazers seem to have made money (by taking dividends while allowing the stadium to fall apart and not winning any titles; and soon probably a huge wad from selling to Qatar).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      The Glazers seem to have made money (by taking dividends while allowing the stadium to fall apart and not winning any titles; and soon probably a huge wad from selling to Qatar).
      Yeah, they have to be considered amongst the worst football club owners ever, even if they aren't the worst people to ever own a football club.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        It's unintended consequences, though. The Big Five in the 80s couldn't have known that these new megarich buyers would emerge 20-40 years later. Even Berlusconi's Milan looked like something that couldn't happen "over here" (and arguably didn't until Man City, because even Chelsea in the 2000s didn't buy so many of the absolute best players in the world).
        Unintended, maybe (though given they were fairly obviously apeing American major league sports where such types were already swimming around that is a dubious claim). But far from unforeseeable. If you create a situation that allows the sides at the top of the Football pyramid to horde wealth and attention you are being hopelessly naïve to be surprised when people who enjoy hording wealth and attention are suddenly looking your way, thinking that is a nice thing you have set up there - we'll join in. Its like building a pond and then being utterly shocked that some amphibians have turned up and made it their home.
        Last edited by Janik; 10-02-2023, 15:08.

Comment

Pep Guardiola says he'll leave Manchester City if the accusations are found out to be true. It's rare that you hear such a mixture of ethics and naked self interest in the one sentence.

Comment

"if the accusations are found out to be true" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. He's saying it knowing that he'll be long gone before that process expires.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Nah, the big catalyst was the exclusion of English clubs from European competition. That shook a lot of the top clubs who realised that they were been cut off from a major revenue stream. They had to make sure of securing that revenue from the domestic game and also make sure they never ended up in the same position again once they were back in.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                Pep Guardiola says he'll leave Manchester City if the accusations are found out to be true. It's rare that you hear such a mixture of ethics and naked self interest in the one sentence.
                Other than he didn’t say that in today’s press conference. Just the opposite in fact. We’ll wait and see of course and I could easily see him moving on if full sanctions are imposed but you are clearly misquoting him today.

From BBC site

“Guardiola previously said he would leave City if allegations they broke financial rules were proven.

However, he said he had no intention of quitting on Friday, adding: "I am not moving from this seat, I can assure you. I want to stay more than ever."

The Spaniard said he would not be concerned even if City were relegated by the commission.

"We have already been in the lower divisions," he said. "We will be back there - not a problem.

"We will call Paul Dickov and Mike Summerbee and we will do again.”

Comment

He's such a twat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Other than he didn’t say that in today’s press conference. Just the opposite in fact. We’ll wait and see of course and I could easily see him moving on if full sanctions are imposed but you are clearly misquoting him today.

From BBC site

“Guardiola previously said he would leave City if allegations they broke financial rules were proven.

However, he said he had no intention of quitting on Friday, adding: "I am not moving from this seat, I can assure you. I want to stay more than ever."

The Spaniard said he would not be concerned even if City were relegated by the commission.

"We have already been in the lower divisions," he said. "We will be back there - not a problem.

"We will call Paul Dickov and Mike Summerbee and we will do again.”
                    Apologies, I heard the newsreader say that as I was heading out of the room. Fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                      He's such a twat.
                      He plays to his crowd, for sure, which is fine if you’re part of that crowd but certainly twattish if you’re not.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Apologies, I heard the newsreader say that as I was heading out of the room. Fake news.
                        He did say it, just a few years ago.

Comment

As NFL owners, the Glazers have won two Super Bowls and are much more successful than the previous Bucc's ownership - which isn't saying much - but I don't think anyone regards them as particularly smart NFL owners.

One of their big problems in the past has been mismanaging the cap, so maybe that's why they wanted to own an Premier League team.

Comment

Pep attacked his nine of his rival clubs, saying they were after the Champions League place for themselves. He even named them.

Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Burnley…

Comment

https://twitter.com/sgevans/status/1623410841394778112/photo/1

Comment

I wish people would stop using Abu Dhabi/City's investment in the local community as an example of something good they do. It's more of the same grubby shit, but even worse.

Comment

I wish people would stop using Abu Dhabi/City's investment in the local community as an example of something good they do. It's more of the same grubby shit, but even worse.
                                  How so? I'm sure they're intentions may be dubious but the area, housing and employment opportunities around Beswick and Gorton are significantly better now than they were pre takeover.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

How so? I'm sure they're intentions may be dubious but the area, housing and employment opportunities around Beswick and Gorton are significantly better now than they were pre takeover.
                                    The Guardian did a bit about it, based on an academic report.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ite-manchester

Comment

The Guardian did a bit about it, based on an academic report.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ite-manchester
                                      Ah cheers. Some interesting points in there and stuff I didn't know but I don't recall there being a mad scramble amongst investors to buy this land that the article quotes as being so valuable. I can only speak from personal experience from when I worked around there but, to me at least, its a significantly nicer area now than it was.

Comment

Aye. They could've done all the good stuff without doing the bad.

Comment

Seems to me that Abu Dhabi have done as comparably a thorough job in infecting and corrupting Manchester's democracy and body politic as they have English football.

Comment

Yeah. The way the local Labour Party have been their craven lapdogs is embarrassing, and yet machine twats like Pat Carney will round on anyone who dare question that since it is a Labour Council in charge, it's the best of all possible world for the Mancunian working class

Comment

This is the future of north-east politics now too. Bin Salman and a new generation of T Dan Smiths

Comment

HHahaha. Oh man.

Comment

A lawyer mentioned on a banner at a football game.

Groundbreaking.

Comment

Infantino wishes that was true

Comment

Working...
                                                    X