No announcement yet.

The "5 nations" Euro 2028 bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's worth reiterating here as well that the GAA still, in the 21st century have a ban on 'foreign sports' i.e. soccer in their grounds. Casement will have to get special dispensation to even host the Euros.

Comment

Honoured more in the breach than the observance these days, with Munster having played a rugby match at Páirc Uí Chaoimh only last month.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

The FAI have no part in funding or development of club stadia in Ireland, other than assistance in clubs lobbying for funds. The chief executive of the FAI made the above statement, I assume based on conversation with someone in the government. For your first point, I don't care to what extent most stadia are upgraded, but it's a slap in the face that Belfast and the GAA ( once again) are looked after, and domestic clubs are told " tough luck"
        Well then all the more reason to be reticent to give them money. The situation would be quite different if all loi clubs had the ownership structure of bohs, and the ground ownership arrangements of whatever the cork team is calling itself at the moment. But they don't.

Giving money to the gaa is a lot easier, given their scale, professionalism and cohesion, along with the sense that they are a public rather than a private asset. They're obviously a bunch of bastards to deal with, but you know what you're going to get, and that they will more or less deliver what they say.

Irish football is a long way from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

Ulster finals used to be held in Belfast before the Troubles, with Clones then becoming the default out of safety concerns, so the redevelopment of Casement is largely the repaying of historical amends.
          Was a border village safer than Andytown?

I thought they left Casement to avoid Vat

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
            It's worth reiterating here as well that the GAA still, in the 21st century have a ban on 'foreign sports' i.e. soccer in their grounds.
            The FAI managed to get to use Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped, so it seems the GAA wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on there.

Comment

That took a whole load of extra Govt money for Grassroots Development before shovel handed committee members stopped huffing and puffing and gave in. The grasping fuckers never had any problem with those indigenous sports boxing and fuckin American Football being played there decades beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

The FAI managed to get to use Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped, so it seems the GAA wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on there.
                They won't have any objection when there are many millions to be made from making their grounds available for the glamour foreign games

Comment

https://belfastmedia.com/pre-enablin...rSMLZzoImWPpeQ

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

They won't have any objection when there are many millions to be made from making their grounds available for the glamour foreign games
                    Exactly - it actually seems pretty easy to grease their wheels, there's more than enough precedent.

Comment

https://www.businesspost.ie/analysis...er-its-rebirt/

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...land-euro-2028

Comment

This is a farce, the 200 million cost is in part driven by the need to have it at UEFA capacity levels, which would never ever be needed for fuckin Ulster GAA finals, and there is absolutely no way this will be ready in time for the 2027 Euros deadline. The fuckin GAA shouldnt get a penny more Irish govt investment till they stop banning their facilties being used by other sports (im more concenred here about them banning soccer clubs using indoor pitches in the winter as mentioned in Second Captains than this white elephant Hands Across the Borders bullshit). The GAA are all about The Community, as long as its just the Hang Sangwiches and shitty O'Neills replica shirts community.

Comment

I agree with Deputy Spoon

Comment

Go raibh mile maith agat.

Comment

Ta I could murder a curry yogurt

Comment

Comment

Quelle surprise.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...702071002.html

Comment

https://www.irishnews.com/news/north...cpiGVXGXQeoq-o

Comment

Working...
                                      X