Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "5 nations" Euro 2028 bid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63650914

Leaving aside the uncomfortable fact that it proposes two stadiums that haven't even been built yet, and that it's apparently easier nowadays to travel around Central Asia than northern Britain by train, surely this bid can't propose a final at Wembley? Not after the disaster of last year's final. Let Hampden or Cardiff have it.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-11-2022, 18:05.

It will always be Wembley. England is the only country that can offer enough stadia to fulfil the requirement so their participation in the deal will come with the non-negotiable caveat that they host the final.

Comment

Glasgow is one of the few cities in the bid not called Lunnon that has anything like a functioning European city rail network (and 5 lines to Edinburgh for tourist overspill), but why the fuck is this happening again? The Nordie stadium won't happen, Everton's looks like Nou Nou Mestalla. At least I don't live near Croke Park anymore so no cunt will be pissing in my garden.

Comment

Really, fuck that bid just like the 2030 World Cup one (which is properly dead now, isn't it?).

As I've said since last July and Rogin mentions, no way Wembley, London or England should be near a major tournament final again after the Euros disaster.

If that costs Wales the random games we'd get at the Millennium then so be it, no real loss.

Comment

Yea there no way round Wembley. That is implicit in the bid being accepted. Of the 4 stadiums that will be be removed from list would guess West Ham Sunderland Man City & Everton given it still a pipe dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            Glasgow is one of the few cities in the bid not called Lunnon that has anything like a functioning European city rail network (and 5 lines to Edinburgh for tourist overspill), but why the fuck is this happening again? The Nordie stadium won't happen, Everton's looks like Nou Nou Mestalla. At least I don't live near Croke Park anymore so no cunt will be pissing in my garden.
            The Nordie stadium will happen. The GAA is not the FAI, the question is when? It got through another judicial review in the last couple of days, and they can probably start on it now. They have five and a half years. My only question is, is it really going to have all of the press facilities that you need to stage a tournament game.

Also why new goodison? Anfiled is going to have 61,000 seats next season. It is a real, already existing thing. I suppose if the everton stadium falls through, they have a ready alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

The Nordie stadium will happen. The GAA is not the FAI, the question is when? It got through another judicial review in the last couple of days, and they can probably start on it now. They have five and a half years. My only question is, is it really going to have all of the press facilities that you need to stage a tournament game.

Also why new goodison? Anfiled is going to have 61,000 seats next season. It is a real, already existing thing. I suppose if the everton stadium falls through, they have a ready alternative.
              Pitch isn’t big enough apparently.

Number of hotel rooms within 30 or so miles are as important as the stadia.

Comment

Wembley isn't even the worst stadium in London on that list

Comment

Why is Italy bidding for 2032 but not 2028? Why is Spain not bidding, given it hasn't hosted since 1964?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Why is Italy bidding for 2032 but not 2028? Why is Spain not bidding, given it hasn't hosted since 1964?
                    Spain and Portugal are bidding for the 2030 World Cup (with Ukraine added recently added as a potential third co-host), so are focussing on that.

I think previous Italian bids have been unsuccessful in part due to stadiums being outdated compared to other bidders, and so a 2032 bid gives more time to make improvements. It also gives further separation in time from the 2026 Winter Olympics which will be held across various towns and cities in the north of Italy.

Comment

Zeb is spot on on the Italian situation

A surprising amount of political capital has been spent on the Olympics (which involve both Milan and Torino). There is also a hope that at least one of the major stadium projects that have been stymied for years will actually happen before 2032, and without the State having to foot the bill.

How realistic that is is another question entirely. Especially when one recalls that the primary reason why so many Italian stadia have had little done since 1990 is that Calciopoli "robbed" the country of the Euro 2008 tournament that was expected to unleash a flood of State money, only to be followed by a financial crisis that hit Italian municipalities particularly hard.
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 16-11-2022, 23:06.

Comment

Don't think England will be getting it after the Euro 2020/1 final clusterfuck.

Comment

The alternative bid is Turkey, which would open up a basket of human rights issues.

Comment

That shouldn’t be a hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                              At least I don't live near Croke Park anymore so no cunt will be pissing in my garden.
                              That's what you think. I'm currently searching the Internet for your home location, buying train tickets, and stocking up on two litre bottles of Diet Vimto...

Comment

What's a frog's favourite GAA stadium?

Cr...

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post

Pitch isn’t big enough apparently.

Number of hotel rooms within 30 or so miles are as important as the stadia.
                                  I think there are plenty of hotels within 30 miles of Anfield.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post

That's what you think. I'm currently searching the Internet for your home location, buying train tickets, and stocking up on two litre bottles of Diet Vimto...
                                    Just get out at Balbriggan Station, and ask the nearest postman " where does the little ginger Scots fella, and herself who likes the Magnums live? "

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I think there are plenty of hotels within 30 miles of Anfield.
                                      Im pretty sure that availability of hotel rooms has nothing to do with whether Anfield has been selected or not, as if it was then the new Everton stadium would probably also fail on this criteria (there's probably marginally fewer within 30 miles of the latter, as a slightly larger proportion of the area covered will be sea)

Comment

I'm sure UEFA are just desperate for another showpiece final to be highlighted by ticketless, coked-up gammons throwing flares and assaulting security staff. Desperate, I tells ya.

Comment

Surely not gammon, but millennials.

Comment

You have to please the FIFA corporate hospitality freeloaders. Didn't Dublin lose a Euros game because the corporates couldn't get Visas?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              You have to please the FIFA corporate hospitality freeloaders. Didn't Dublin lose a Euros game because the corporates couldn't get Visas?
                                              I have faint memories of us losing out on hosting something, because we wouldn't do away with our covid entry requirements.

Comment

At the time, we wanted to play the matches as closed-door fixtures.

Comment

Spain and Ireland both dropped out of Euro "2020" hosting for covid reasons iirc.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X