Early Advent Telly Gawping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Is it true that the only other place with such things is Hawaii? Although I'd like to know what happened in Ireland after independence.
    It's very patchwork. Most landlords sold up in the various land acts of the late nineteenth century. that involved a lot of turning leaseholds into freeholds for houses. I think an important thing to remember is that the overwhelming majority of houses in dublin were built on farm land that had been sold by landlords 100 years earlier. So this didn't apply to most houses. Even then most houses built in the first fifty years after independence were nearly all built by the council. I think there was something explicit at one point to allow leaseholders to buy the freehold of their house as well.

I know that Lord Lucan was collecting ground rent on Castlebar in Mayo, and I think maybe parts of lucan in west dublin, long after he disappeared though. But that doesn't really amount to all that much. We keep making noises about cancelling those things, but it's never been considered worth the hassle, that may change in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
      Or is there a belief that landlords shouldn’t exist whatsoever?
      There is, yeah. Private landlords, certainly.

Comment

Given the unlikelihood of that at any time in the near future, greater enforceable regulation of landlords would be something that could be achieved more readily.

Comment

I'm all for legislation to make landlordism less attractive and profitable, absolutely. It won't make me like landlords though.

Comment

Watched a bit of the Reims match this late afternoon. Impressive fog...

Comment

Quite like the Wolves' shirts.

Comment

By the way, that Throstles' red card was a joke.

Comment

If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now; I love Manchester United's dazzle kit.

Comment

If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now; I love Manchester United's dazzle kit.
                    It's taken 20 years, but finally, a positive comment from you about Manchester United. I'm welling up here.

Comment

Did you not read my programme notes when George Best died?

Comment

Yes, me too.

Comment

Treated myself to a bottle of sugar free ginger ale to drink watching the match. I'm inconsolable at the wasted 55p.

Comment

What brand? I love the M&S Sugar Free Fiery Ginger Beer.

Have we established the difference, if any, between Ginger Ale and Ginger Beer?
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-12-2020, 23:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              What brand? I love the M&S Sugar Free Fiery Ginger Beer.

Have we established the difference, of any, between Ginger Ale and Ginger Beer?
                              Ginger beer is brewed and fermented. Ginger ale is Ginger flavoured carbonated water. I prefer ginger beer, but I panicked in Tesco. The soft drinks are on a different floor to the mixers, which is ridiculous IMHO, and I couldn't be arsed going back downstairs.

Comment

Yeah, I used to like the Tesco Sugar Free Fiery Ginger Beer too (though it doesn't have the same kick as M&S's) but I ended up preferring their Sugar Free Bitter Shandy.

Comment

York v Spennymoor on the YouTube

Have to say, for all my cynicism about the club in general, that roar from the 400 in Bootham Crescent as the team ran out sent a few shivers down the spine - genuinely quite moving. And City have obliged by taking the lead in the first 5 minutes as well...

Comment

Gotta say that Wolves v Villa game was a tough watch. Mike Dean made sure there wouldn't be 22 players on the pitch at the end with those early yellow cards. Good to see Villa being able to grind out a win. Last season we would probably have collapsed on going down to 10 men.

Comment

Fuckin' 'ell! Boro 3 Millwall 0.

Comment

A cracking header by Dwight Gayle puts Newcastle 2-1 up on West Brom.

Comment

1) Equalizer for Spennymoor.

[Youtube:

'Pay what you can' via the Virtual Turnstile. All contributors will be entered into a prize draw to win a 24 pack of Brew York's Minstermen Pride. 18+ only.

Commentary by Rob Spereall Camera by Danny Rodgers]

2) Hebburn 3 North Shields 2 FA Vase 2nd round (Youtube)

3) Cei Connah v Y Seintiau Newydd | JD Cymru Premier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrV...channel=sgorio
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-12-2020, 16:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                            A cracking header by Dwight Gayle puts Newcastle 2-1 up on West Brom.
                                            Another candidate for the "Is He Still Playing" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              1) Equalizer for Spennymoor.
                                              ... from a corner that looked suspiciously like it shouldn't have been.

One thing you do really get a sense of when the stream is a decent quality like it was today: the standard of football at our level is barely watchable. Truly woeful stuff.

Comment

Man City seem to have been sent out to kick the fuck out of everyone in the first ten minutes. That's surely not how free-flowing tiki-taka Pep wants things.

Comment

Fernandinho and McTominay made challenges that should have been yellow cards (ref is too lenient on the cuntery from both midfields). However, the rib injury enabled me to do my "OK Fred?" impression in front of the telly.

Watching De Bruyne and Fernandes on the same pitch (two of the top three midfielders in the division?) has been the game's only pleasure so far.

Comment

Man Utd in ‘no penalty’-shock.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X