No announcement yet.

La Liga 2020-21: A Messi Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread faves eibar (well, tony and I like them) finally won today! A thumping 3-0 victory over Alaves. Alas, it might be too little too late but I still live in hope. Atleti won 1-0 away at elche who missed a penalty in the last minute. I think espanyol were promoted last weekend. Good to see them back although it'll just be another six points for Barcelona.
    Last edited by Jon; 06-05-2021, 18:14.

Comment

Bugger the diacritics problem.

Comment

Eibar are five points from safety with four matches left, but those four are Getafe away, home to Betis, away to Valencia and home to Barcelona

They likely need at least a point from Getafe and some help from those above them. It is unlikely that the Barca match will be a complete dead rubber.

Comment

So, that's Sevilla most likely out of the championship race, going down 1-0 at home to Athletic after a late goal last night. That's a shame, I wanted them to win this year.

Comment

It is indded a shame and good news for Madrid who play them next Sunday.

Comment

Yesterday in Valencia:

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Yesterday in Valencia:

Wow, I wasn't aware of the heightened feeling among Valencia fans until you posted this, Sporting. Was the sacking of Javi Gracia a contributing factor? And do you think the protests against the Superleague has emboldened the Valencia fans? Here is an article about Lim in the FT, printed just a couple of days before the demonstrations. https://www.ft.com/content/7611e5f0-...3-4e4e1c263324

The chase for the league title this year has been the most exciting for decades. In fact, I can't remember it ever being as tight as this, with four clubs still in with a chance with 3 games to go. Barca dropped points again this evening, Levante coming from behind 3 times to draw 3-3 at home. Atleti's run-in looks the easiest but the next their one is potentially the trickiest - at home to Real Sociedad. Win that game on Wednesday and they are very nearly there.

It's also interesting at the bottom. Eibar won again at the weekend. And Alaves won a big relegation game 0-2 away at Elche this evening.
                Last edited by Jon; 11-05-2021, 22:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  Was the sacking of Javi Gracia a contributing factor?
                  No, that was largely irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. The sacking of Marcelino had a greater negative impact. The main thing is that Lim is seen as someone with no interest in football, only interested in advancing his own business interests etc. Sounds familiar?

Here is an article about Lim in the FT, printed just a couple of days before the demonstrations. https://www.ft.com/content/7611e5f0-...3-4e4e1c263324
                  Cursed paywall, but I've seen translations here.
                  Last edited by Sporting; 12-05-2021, 05:40.

Comment

Levante coming from behind 3 times to draw 3-3 at home.
                    Actually just twice, but they played as well as Barcelona's defence was dodgy.

Comment

Further proof of the strength in depth of Basque football - the town of Amorebieta has a population of only 16,000, but its club is now only 90 minutes away from promotion to the second tier:

https://twitter.com/SDAmorebieta/status/1393655704263741445

Meanwhile, Pique's Andorra project must wait another season to escape the third tier, after defeat to Sociedad B.

Comment

Booo - Real take the lead in San Mames, and would currently go top on the H2H rule.

Comment

Contentious goal too, Benzema dummied/made an attempt to play the ball from an offside position and it went through to Nacho to score.

The commentary team (and me) were sure it was going to be ruled out after the VAR check.

Comment

Worse still, Osasuna take the lead at the Metropolitano, 1-1 now.
                            Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 16-05-2021, 18:18.

Comment

Suarez to the rescue!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Contentious goal too, Benzema dummied/made an attempt to play the ball from an offside position and it went through to Nacho to score.

The commentary team (and me) were sure it was going to be ruled out after the VAR check.
                                Yes, I thought it would be disallowed. Strange decision. Earlier on in the game the ref turned down a penalty for a handball against Madrid.

Comment

Yes, I thought it would be disallowed. Strange decision. Earlier on in the game the ref turned down a penalty for a handball against Madrid.
                                  how very surprising

Comment

I was at the game in Mestalla yesterday. 5,000 tickets on sale to abonados (neither Levante nor Villarreal are charging for theirs ...), they didn't even sell out in the end, I believe. It helped that the team clicked but it was a surprisingly emotional occasion, especially when the first goal went in, I'm still kind of buzzing from it tbh! Nice balance of support for the team and anti-Meriton chants, especially as the crowd was spread out and there were no ultra cheerleaders.

I was at the demo above too. Wasn't happy with the ultras having such prominence but I guess their ehmm organisational skills were needed. You can read the FT Lim piece with a basic free registration. Despite his talk of being in for the long haul, I have no doubt he will sell up if and when the right offer arrives (with preference given to non-Valencian bid). The huge debt and the new ground conundrum complicate things for would be buyers, of course. Yes, I think the SL protests added some impetus, there were 50+1 and "football for the fans" banners that mightn't have been there before but this has been brewing for some time, it's only covid that has prevented such a big demo happening earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Senyor Pirotecnic View Post
                                      they didn't even sell out in the end, I believe
                                      About half of the tickets were sold.

So there's someone else here who lives in Valencia!

Comment

Both Atleti and Real fall behind early

Comment

Just over 20 minutes gone. Atleti conceded a breakaway goal to Valladolid and, a minute later, Madrid conceded at home to Villareal.

Comment

Huesca holding on...

Comment

But Elche score

Comment

Maybe not the Great Huescape after all?

Comment

Benzema scores! Madrid lead La Liga!

Comment

Gone to VAR.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X