World Cup 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    The BBC showed Glamorgan v West Indies during World Cup Grandstand. It also had segments from the game on Friday and Monday:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedule...don/1966-07-30

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedule...don/1966-08-01

The Tests were interrupted by Eisteddford as well as horse racing:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedule...don/1966-08-04

For some odd reason, apart from the Thursday, the BBC didn't start showing the Test until 12.30:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedule...don/1966-08-08

A useful website that, albeit taking away some of the fun in remembering for yourself how things were. Interesting that BBC2 was doing some cricket coverage by then. And yes, the Eisteddford was considered a big deal in those days. On Test matches, if I remember correctly, they didn't start until 11:30 in those days which might explain some of the timings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Slight exaggeration?
      Think about it this way. International sport is essentially war by less murderous means, so you wind up with competitions where the teams are a) from far right military dictatorships b) communist dictatorships c) countries with a thin veneer of democracy over a society that is not exactly the most rule bound. Throw in that the standard of refereeing across the board, at every level, is so bad and so arbitrary that it is almost impossible to detect corruption, that there is no consequences for getting caught, and there is no testing for drugs. Essentially if you are the sort of country where you imprison your political opponents, you are going to cheat at international sport. Those countries didn't always win, so you then have to stare long and hard at those who did.

The belgian FA, and in particular their chairman Constant van den Stock (the Anderlecht stadium was named after him until they needed a sponsor this sesaon. He did after all buy them a lot of european success back in the day) were notorious for this sort of carry on. The Thing that is striking about this game though, is that it is clear that these are two extremely good teams, even without the assistance. The USSR have nine players from Dinamo Kiev, who are playing an early form of Van Gaal football. It's just that if you are sprinting around after nearly 2 hours of football in the heat of mexico 86, you may as well still have the syringe in your arm. The belgians had a load of really good players, but everything they did just stinks. Ireland were the next team to play belgium in a competitive match after this, and it's the first game of football I remember watching in any detail. Apparently Ireland went into this match 100% expecting to get done by the referee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JewGBlb2eOk So imagine our surprise when we got a late penalty to equalize. I've watched a lot of football since, and I don't think I've seen two better headed goals in the same match. That scifo goal in particular is amazing.

But we weren't to be disappointed by what happened in sofia in that same group. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXtlNVEB3y4 That first goal is fucking laughable, and there is a photograph of the penalty incident, and it's well outside the box, and the referee can see that it's outside the box, but he gives them a penalty anyway. You can't believe how surprised we were when scotland won 1-0 in sofia and we qualified. The more of these old games I watch, the more convinced I am that VAR is the best thing that has happened to the game since the backpass rule.

I watched the argentina 1-0 brazil game from italia 90, and I must say Brazil put on a great show for a team that had been given water bottles laced with rohypnol by the argentinians. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/mar...ia-90-1.409147 I Mean fuck me, that is a serious criminal offence. You go to jail for a good while if you get caught doing that. but what can you expect of a team built around the amazing talents of a mid level cammora associate and medium scale international drug smuggler. It's really hard to enjoy some of these games when you take into account who these teams are representing, and the terrible state of the world at the time.

Comment

Love that bit in the McIlvanney piece "We've got athlete's foot down to about 30 per cent of what it was when the boys came together". Early example of marginal gains, there.

Comment

It really jumps out doesn't it?

Ten years later you had progressed to things like this.

https://www.mediastorehouse.com/colo...t-5249731.html

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

International sport is essentially war by less murderous means, so you wind up with competitions where the teams are a) from far right military dictatorships b) communist dictatorships c) countries with a thin veneer of democracy over a society that is not exactly the most rule bound.
            Isn't that pretty much everyone?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Christ knows what Man United put in Liverpool's tea before the 1996 Cup Final.

Comment

Far more likely the liverpool players were putting something in their own tea.

Comment

Reassuring that the Sunderland & Boro fans on here still cant help themselves with reference to SJP even if cant agree whether it Sid or Syd James Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      Christ knows what Man United put in Liverpool's tea before the 1996 Cup Final.
                      You think Man Utd played well in comparison? It was a terrible game decided by a flash of genius.

Comment

13/7/66

Comment

Baltimore Sun, 24/7/66

Comment

Same photo: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...-world-1794850

Comment

Back to some comments about the media to extend some of the previous posts about the BBC's other commitments. Apparently the BBC had imported a new reply technology from US TV engineering companies but the DVDs I have don't feature any replays. In fact, the early commercial DVDs of the final released by BBC often featured a fair amount of missing time, so collectors filled that time from VHS copies. I guess the BBC felt like DVD media needed to be better quality.

I also read that BBC was ready to introduce color broadcasts during the WC but someone in the government didn't want that to happen because not enough people had color TVs. I can't find the source for that since I was site hopping last week. But I would have thought that a complete film version of the final would have been released in color by now:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmuk0Yd5hi0
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0aK2IgORGA

There is no way to dumbluck into filming goals so the footage was clearly edited down from the complete films.

Comment

Whatever the circumstances, which I didn’t know about (then or now) the way Maradona sucked all the defenders in before setting up Caniggia in that Arg-Bra 90 game was a stunning moment. Far from meaningless, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                  I also read that BBC was ready to introduce color broadcasts during the WC but someone in the government didn't want that to happen because not enough people had color TVs. I can't find the source for that since I was site hopping last week. But I would have thought that a complete film version of the final would have been released in color by now:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmuk0Yd5hi0
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0aK2IgORGA

There is no way to dumbluck into filming goals so the footage was clearly edited down from the complete films.
                                  I'm surprised by that too. I remember some years ago (I'm thinking early 2000s, but possibly late 90s) that ITV broadcast the full 120 minutes in colour. So the footage must surely be around somewhere.

Comment

The ITV coverage is in black and white on youtube. The climactic moment is "Martin Peters going, er, it's Geoff Hurst, Hurst going forward, he might make it three ... he has! He has! That's it!".
                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-05-2020, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                                      Reassuring that the Sunderland & Boro fans on here still cant help themselves with reference to SJP even if cant agree whether it Sid or Syd James Park.
                                      I note I also made a typo when I referenced Joker Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        I really like the way that a lot of the black and white footage of football in the sixties looks so crisp and clear like that. It gives it a really weird timeless air, given that everything is about to go all Sensible soccer for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                          You think Man Utd played well in comparison? It was a terrible game decided by a flash of genius.
                                          It was indeed utter garbage. Almost as bad as the 2007 United/Chelsea final.

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                          The ITV coverage is in black and white on youtube. The climactic moment is "Martin Peters going, er, it's Geoff Hurst, Hurst going forward, he might make it three ... he has! He has! That's it!".
                                          There was an interview with Gerald Sinstadt some years later in which he conceded that while his own commentary of those final moments had been rather trite and awful, Kenneth Wolstenholme had nailed it for all time.
                                          Last edited by Jah Womble; 31-05-2020, 13:10.

Comment

'Goal!': "The executive producer spent $336,000 on the production and used 117 cameras to record nearly 48 hours worth of action. Four editors were employed to created the final 108-minute feature."

https://letterboxd.com/film/goal-1966/

It has a lot of cinematographers and photographers in the credits (imdb). Click through their other work and it's impressive:

Produced by
                                            Octavio Se?oret ... producer
                                            Michael Sullivan ... executive producer
                                            Music by
                                            Johnny Hawksworth ... (as John Hawksworth)
                                            Cinematography by Film Editing by Sound Department
                                            Brad Bradbourne ... sound recordist
                                            Bernard Childs ... sound recordist
                                            Gordon Everett ... sound recordist
                                            Bob Jones ... sound recordist
                                            Clive Winter ... sound recordist
                                            Garry Wrexham ... sound recordist
                                            Camera and Electrical Department
                                            Michael Elphick ... additional photographer
                                            Terry Gould ... additional photographer
                                            Peter Hannan ... additional photographer
                                            Alan Hewison ... additional photographer
                                            Richard Lorimore ... additional photographer
                                            Ian MacFarlane ... additional photographer
                                            Mark McDonald ... additional photographer (as Mark MacDonald)
                                            David Pearce ... additional photographer
                                            Maurice Picot ... additional photographer
                                            Alan Prentice ... additional photographer
                                            Brian Probyn ... additional photographer
                                            Michael Samuelson ... additional photographer
                                            Sydney Samuelson ... additional photographer
                                            Arthur Wooster ... additional photographer
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-05-2020, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              There was an interview with Gerald Sinstadt some years later in which he conceded that while his own commentary of those final moments had been rather trite and awful, Kenneth Wolstenholme had nailed it for all time.
                                              It was Hugh Johns, wasn't it?

Comment

My mum grew up in North London (down the road from where Barnet now play) and, with other members of her guide troop, was amongst the programme sellers for World Cup games at Wembley. For doing this she was offered free tickets to all the games she sold at programmes at, but didn't take any.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                                  It was Hugh Johns, wasn't it?
                                                  Yes, Sinstadt didn't do WC commentary until Mexico 70. ITV 66 was Hugh Johns, Gerry Loftus, John Camkin and Barry Davies, with summaries by Jock Stein, Bill Shankly, Dave Bowen and Phil Woosnam (all Scottish or Welsh; credit to ITV for not using English summarizers). Brian Moore was the BBC radio commentator IIRC.

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/WorldCup66.html
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-05-2020, 14:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                                    My mum grew up in North London (down the road from where Barnet now play) and, with other members of her guide troop, was amongst the programme sellers for World Cup games at Wembley. For doing this she was offered free tickets to all the games she sold at programmes at, but didn't take any.
                                                    "Nah, it's all right ta, I'll just go the next time the World Cup's here instead."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X