World Cup 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup 66

After I caught up on some South American league games that had been sitting on my DVR, I used my COVID viewing to alternate between 1966 WC qualifiers and 2014 CONMEBOL WC qualifiers. The list that made up the former was quite short because this was pre-VCR times and many TV stations lack any kind of systematic archival efforts until recently. In fact, most of the qualifiers I watched featured France because INA has archived those games. I quickly moved from qualifiers into the tournament itself.

I'd be curious to hear from others, especially folks who watched the tournament in the stadia or on TV. I have to say that the quality of the broadcasts is generally excellent. And every game exists with BBC commentary. I don't know how that worked at the time, since it seems like ITV mostly showed highlights and I don't know how many BBC channels were showing live football beyond BBC1.

Anyway, in general I think that West Germany, England, and Portugal were the three best teams. Portugal did seem to benefit from a fair amount of mistakes by keepers. I'd say that the defeat of Brazil and North Korea were the side's best efforts. But I think the England-West Germany final was the right final based on quality of the two sides in the tournament on the whole. But going into the final West Germany was by far the best team in the tournament even if they benefited from a man+ advantage in multiple games. I think the final itself was very exciting. This was the one game I had watched before, but it was nice to watch again after watching the tournament during the past two weeks. The game as a whole was very enjoyable for a neutral with early goals, late goals, and attacking play throughout. Unlike almost every other extra time I can remember in the WC, this one actually had goals. Of the final matches I have seen, this would certainly be near the top if not at the top. Of course, I'm sure England was criticized for giving up a last second goal in regulation time. The ball pinged around. That's hard to defend. The problem was how foolish they were when they had possession in West Germany's end during the last 2 minutes. They never took the ball into the corner, but instead seemed caught betwixt and between wanting to score again and wanting to waste time. But this, as I mention below seemed to be part of a larger trend in this WC when it came to getting on with playing the game versus time wasting.

Here are some specific observations that I noted as I watched the tournament in case anyone cares or wants to discuss.

The Good

1. The pace of play was quick. There seemed to be very little downtime, including no lawyering with the referees or rolling around on the floor. In fact, during MD2 when a Hungarian player went down and the trainer had to come on the pitch, another Hungarian player did the non-verbal, "Make sure you're watching the clock" motion even though the game was tied and Hungary was having a good run of play. Additionally, the team the scored often sprinted back to the center circle carrying the ball.

2. Even when the scorelines were lopsided, the games rarely lagged. Neither team in most games was interested in killing off the game by wasting time. Of course, sometimes a side would start to sit back with a lead or if the side seemed content with a draw, but the other side always went for it during these moments.

3. In most parts of the pitch, the short passing game was accurate, quick, and contributed to the energy and action described in #1 above.

4. I loved watching the various photographers bunched to the side of the goal as they tried to avoid getting hit by balls or run over by players.

5. Obviously the development of football talent around the globe means the each confederation (usually) contributes to a more exciting tournament compared to the mostly European and South American representation in this WC. With that said, I am a big fan of going straight from a group stage to the quarter-final stage. I really like tournament football and understand that the lack of days off wasn't good for players (every other day), but the smaller tournament did mean a more exciting and engaging reflection (for me at least) about each team. I didn't lose track of different sides like I do in a bloated WC or bloated Euros.

6. After West Germany scored their third goal in the 1/4 Final against Uruguay, a man ran out on the pitch wearing overalls (the short pants variety) and waving a flag. The BBC announcer said: "That's not a boy; that's a grown man" as if describing something for an old school nature program.

The Bad

1. The play in the final third was mostly atrocious. And on the whole, the goalkeeping was poor. I'd go so far as to say that the ability to take chances was radically helped by poor keeping otherwise the goals per game in this tournament would have been much worse.

2. Defenders constantly left their feet. When critics claim about the poor state of defending today, I'd encourage those folks to look back at this WC. There weren't a lot of goals but that was because the offense was crap in the final third. Defenders rarely need to leave there feet in the contemporary game. I would add that as the tournament progressed, players were better about avoiding this approach and stayed on their feet more often.

3. The referees seemed very unwilling to control brutal play other than the West Germany-Uruguay and England-Argentina matches. Seven games in and I had not seen one card come out, whereas today the refs would rightfully card players for some of the fouls. Bulgaria were hellbent on fouling Pele every time he touched the ball, for example. Yet, the ref never intervened by using yellow cards to control the fouling. It's not easy to feel to bad for the Brazilians, who took a similar approach to butchering opponents in the group match against Portugal.

4. The backpass. The elimination of the back pass was one of the best changes to the laws of the game, if not the best. I hate the backpass.

5. Not bad in the same way as the other parts of this list, but a real shame that Mexico didn't win any games because they were the better team in 2/3 of their group games and the lack of wins kept them out of the knock-out rounds. England outplayed Mexico, although Mexico sat back too much in that game compared to the games against France and Uruguay, but Mexico were better than Uruguay and France.

The Strange

1. Goalkeepers were unwilling to take goal kicks in many instances. Or they would play the ball short, the defender would pass it back, and then the keeper would punt. Neither the long goal kick nor the long punt is a smart play but I'm stunned that the keepers (and their coaches) thought the punt was more useful. Spain was one of the few sides to rely on the keeper throwing the ball, which resulted in an extremely accurate rate of the ball staying with the side (95+%???).

2. Sticking with the keepers. I have watched a lot of older or classic matches but not in succession as I have done with this tournament. The keepers were obsessed with bouncing the ball as if they were playing rugby or basketball. I don't remember seeing this same move in WC 70. I'll be starting Euro 68 qualifiers next and working my way to that tournament so I'll be curious to see if that general move starts to disappear from the game.

3. When the Hungarians were awarded a penalty against Brazil, the penalty taker stepped up but the rest of the team were nowhere near the penalty box. Had the taker missed, there was no chance to score on a rebound.

4. I don't think about an urban stadium as a location for exotic birds, but either some kid sitting near a microphone had an odd bird-noise maker or some kind of bird decided to grace the microphones with its vocal presence during Italy-USSR.

5. I noted above that the referees let a lot go. In fact, there was not a lot of lawyering but there were a few times when players put their hands on the ref and those refs didn't seem phased by that action. Yet, amidst this, the refs were obsessed with where free kicks were taken. And I'm not talking scenarios where players were being egregious with ball placement; rather, the players might have been off by a foot or two and in the center of the park and still the ref wanted a re-take because the ball was not in the *exact* location the ref expected.

Sorry, that's a long post. As I said, I made some notes as I watched so that certainly made it easier to generate something beyond a few sentences.

So much to take in and comment on. Great post!

Comment

Great post. Really interesting and particularly from an English perspective, it was nice to hear that they (more or less) deserved to win it. Often the antidote to flag waving jingoism has been to downplay the sides actual achievement but even in the days of the smaller tournament, you couldn't win the thing on luck alone.

I mentioned on a thread elsewhere that I'd been watching the story of the world cup on my Amazon prime free trial. I loved 74 and 78 and on the advice of another poster I had a look at one of the older ones (1954). This has reminded me to get back on it and watch the others, although I think I may have seen the 66 and 82 films before.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
        bouncing the ball as if they were playing rugby
        ?

Comment

The sense in West-Germany was that England were worthy winners, even though generations of Germans were traumatised by the third goal. The corollary might be Maradonna's "Hand of God".

Comment

If you compare 1966 and 1974, it's almost like two different sports. Pace is not that different but the defences and keepers are competent and "lawyering the ref" was fully established, such as Cruyff in the final.

England IIRC don't really get going until the last 8 phase but that's quite common in sides that win World Cups (1954, 1974, 1982, 2006).

On bouncing the ball, perhaps the four second rule for holding the ball was being rigorously enforced, although I've never seen an indirect free kick awarded for that offence.

Comment

In the qualifiers for 1966, Northern Ireland just needed to beat Albania (who had lost all their previous games) in their final game in Tirana. The Irish led 1-0 but let in a late equaliser to miss out to Switzerland, and George Best never got to play in the World Cup finals.

Comment

Re The Strange - Point 2

Goalkeepers were bouncing the ball in order to comply with the '4 step rule'.

Laws applying to keepers have regularly changed. For example, it was only in 1912 that they were restricted to handling the ball in the penalty area.

This is from Wikipedia:

The FA's first Laws of the Game of 1863 did not make any special provision for a goalkeeper, with any player being allowed to catch or knock-on the ball.[5]Handling the ball was completely forbidden (for all players) in 1870.[6]The next year, 1871, the laws were amended to introduce the goalkeeper and specify that the keeper was allowed to handle the ball "for the protection of his goal".[7]The restrictions on the ability of the goalkeeper to handle the ball were changed several times in subsequent revisions of the laws:
                • 1871: the keeper may handle the ball only "for the protection of his goal".
                • 1873: the keeper may not "carry" the ball.[8]
                • 1883: the keeper may not carry the ball for more than two steps.[9]
                • 1887: the keeper may not handle the ball in the opposition's half.[10]
                • 1901: the keeper may handle the ball for any purpose (not only in defence of the goal).[11]
                • 1912: the keeper may handle the ball only in the penalty area.
                • 1931: the keeper may take up to four steps (rather than two) while carrying the ball.[12]
                • 1992: the keeper may not handle the ball after it has been deliberately kicked to him/her by a team-mate.
                • 1997: the keeper may not handle the ball for more than six seconds.
                By the way, I completely agree with your view that the abolition of the back pass was the best ever rule change.

Comment

There's quite an important omission in that list of the changes in goalkeeping rules. In 1966 the 'keeper had to release the ball after four steps but could then touch it with his/her hands again, hence the 'keeper could wander around the box bouncing the ball. It was changed at some time, and from memory it was somewhere around 1968, such that the goalkeeper still had to release the ball after four steps, but could not touch it again with his/her hands until another player had touched the ball. I think this is why you see a difference in what the goalkeepers were doing with the ball between 1966 and 1970.

The other big change between 1966 and 1970 was the introduction of red and yellow cards.
                  Last edited by Capybara; 28-05-2020, 08:49.

Comment

Not sure if you were speaking metaphorically about the lack of yellow and red cards but they were only introduced at the 1970 World Cup.

They were the idea of Ken Aston, an English referee who was perhaps influenced by his experience of officiating the Battle of Santiago between Chile and Italy in the 1962 World Cup. He was in charge of refereeing in 1966 and had to persuade the Argentinians to continue playing after Rattin had been sent off against England.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                      There's quite an important omission in that list of the changes in goalkeeping rules. In 1966 the 'keeper had to release the ball after four steps but could then touch it with his/her hands again, hence the 'keeper could wander around the box bouncing the ball. It was changed at some time, and from memory it was somewhere around 1968, such that the goalkeeper still had to release the ball after four steps, but could not touch it again with his/her hands until another player had touched the ball. I think this is why you see a difference in what the goalkeepers were doing with the ball between 1966 and 1970.
                      Yes, I think you're right. There used to be the ridiculous spectacle of a keeper inviting a defender really close so he could roll the ball about 6 inches to him and receive it back.

Comment

I've just been thinking about this further. I think the initial change was that once the 'keeper had released the ball, they couldn't pick it up again until they had played it with their foot, at which point they would have to release it. So the 'keeper would then catch the ball, dribble it to the edge of the box, pick it up and then release it. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          On bouncing the ball, perhaps the four second rule for holding the ball was being rigorously enforced, although I've never seen an indirect free kick awarded for that offence.
                          It wasn't time bound in 1966, keepers had only four steps per possession, so they bounced the ball to move to the edge of the box and created new 'possessions' each time.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

Yes, I think you're right. There used to be the ridiculous spectacle of a keeper inviting a defender really close so he could roll the ball about 6 inches to him and receive it back.
                            Or am I imagining this? I certainly remember doing this as a player going to the edge of the area and passing back to the keeper. Did I do this in an attempt to waste time or to give the keeper another four steps? It is absurd and more than a little worrying that I cannot clearly remember.

And what is the current state of the six second rule? This seems to have fallen into disuse. Are referees now instructed to ignore it and use their discretion?

Comment

Re the use of the tactic post 1966, Peter Shilton certainly persisted with it - for example in 1986 games on several occasions you can see him bouncing the ball and gesturing to the outfield players to get further forward, before booting the ball down the middle of the pitch straight into the hands of his opposite number.

Comment

Or am I imagining this? I certainly remember doing this as a player going to the edge of the area and passing back to the keeper. Did I do this in an attempt to waste time or to give the keeper another four steps? It is absurd and more than a little worrying that I cannot clearly remember.

And what is the current state of the six second rule? This seems to have fallen into disuse. Are referees now instructed to ignore it and use their discretion?
                                I think there were successive changes. From what it was in 1966 as VT says, to what it was in 1970 when the 'keeper would dribble it to the edge of the box before picking it up and releasing it, to the change where the goalkeeper could not use hands until the ball had been touched by another player which is what you remember, to the change to the back pass rule in the early '90s. In each case the intention was to cut down on time wasting but on each occasion, except perhaps the last, a way was found round the change before the ink had dried.

I haven't a clue what the state of play is with the six second business.

Comment

I have fond memories of kids football in the 80s with the goalie taking a quick goal kick to a defender on the edge of the area so they could get it back and therefore kick from hands. This was obviously because at that age half of them couldn't kick any decent distance from the floor. I scored a large number of goals from being the nippy forward intercepting those. Happy days.

Comment

The attendances at Old Trafford seem shockingly low:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_F...ld_Cup#Group_1

And why were both Sunderland and Middlesbrough chosen as venues?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      Presumably they were both good stadiums and there was a clear desire to have groups play quite close to each other (apart that is from the Hillsborough/Villa Park group). Plus hotbed of football and all that.

Comment

By the way, I completely agree with your view that the abolition of the back pass was the best ever rule change.
                                        This was the basis of the notoriously miserly Liverpool defence of the 70's. Clemence to Hansen or Lawrenson, then back to Clemence. For about 65 minutes out of every game.

Comment

They do dont they? The 13k crowd at A?resome Park must be one of the lowest world cup crowds anywhere, surely? I have memory of a stadium in Argentina looking sparsely populated which may well have been less

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                            one of the lowest world cup crowds anywhere, surely? I have memory of a stadium in Argentina looking sparsely populated which may well have been less
                                            Glory for Scotland!

9624 people were at Poland versus Tunisia at the amusingly-named Estadio Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario.

7938 people attended Scotland versus Iran at the Estadio Chateau Carreras, C?rdoba.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Presumably they were both good stadiums and there was a clear desire to have groups play quite close to each other (apart that is from the Hillsborough/Villa Park group). Plus hotbed of football and all that.
                                              Middlesbrough average attendance 65/66: 13,450
                                              Newcastle: 33.793
                                              Sunderland: 34.488

Two clubs maybe a hotbed make, but Boro? Maybe St James Park was a wreck at the time, dunno.

Comment

Reportedly the admission prices were set too high and people were priced out. Newcastle was one of the venues provisionally announced, but given that a game was moved from Wembley to White City because it was dogs night at the former, anything is possible as to why these choices were made.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                  The sense in West-Germany was that England were worthy winners, even though generations of Germans were traumatised by the third goal. The corollary might be Maradonna's "Hand of God".
                                                  ...or perhaps Lampard's 'phantom goal' in 2010?

I know we've tossed this back and forth many-a time - and, sure, the ball clearly doesn't cross the line - but 'traumatised' seems a little extreme given the clear limitations of the era and the fact that non-goals left, right and centre would similarly have been awarded in matches every week.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  Re the use of the tactic post 1966, Peter Shilton certainly persisted with it - for example in 1986 games on several occasions you can see him bouncing the ball and gesturing to the outfield players to get further forward, before booting the ball down the middle of the pitch straight into the hands of his opposite number.
                                                  A strategy masterfully recreated by David James in more recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X