No announcement yet.

Old Football on Legal Streaming Channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised they are showing England v Switzerland from Euro 96. Not exactly a memorable ninety minutes to relive.

Still loving the BBC's World Cup Rewind though.

Comment

Euro 96 is a shit tournament to choose generally, although it has the advantage that more British viewers will have gone to the games compared to better tournaments such as Euro 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        Euro 96 is a shit tournament to choose generally, although it has the advantage that more British viewers will have gone to the games compared to better tournaments such as Euro 2000.
        Didn't realise until tonight it was the whole tournament being shown. If it is the full ninety minutes of each game, there's going to be an awful lot of dead air.

But yes,.I went to Croatia v Turkey at the City Ground and have never seen it in full, although there's probably a good reason for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Not many more, if you take out the England games. Watched Denmark-Portugal this evening, one of the better, and better attended games of the group stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post

Didn't realise until tonight it was the whole tournament being shown. If it is the full ninety minutes of each game, there's going to be an awful lot of dead air.

But yes,.I went to Croatia v Turkey at the City Ground and have never seen it in full, although there's probably a good reason for that.
            Article on that game:

https://thesetpieces.com/latest-post...oatia-euro-96/

Comment

Good article that, plus brought back memories as I was also sitting close to the exuberant Turkish support. They stick in my mind more than the actual game and I so wanted Turkey to score that night just to see what the reaction from them would be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                Surprised they are showing England v Switzerland from Euro 96. Not exactly a memorable ninety minutes to relive.

Still loving the BBC's World Cup Rewind though.
                The idea seems to be that all of England's matches plus the final are to be aired 'as live' via ITV4 - with all the other games available on the ITV Hub, in the order that they were played. (Not sure how this will work when it comes to group deciders.) I tried watching some of the three group games shown yesterday via the Hub, but (as you'll doubtless have gathered) didn't find it a very user-friendly experience.

And yes, those World Cup Rewind compilations have all been top-notch. That - one has to say - is how you do this.

Comment

Did all the group deciders get shown live in full in 1996, across two channels? I can't recall if Scotland v Swiss was only available in Scotland. If not, then it will be the first ever screening for some games.

Comment

Unless BBC showed one and ITV showed another, then probably not - they both broadcast the final so it's not like both main channels having live football on at the same time would have been a no-go.

I doubt the Beeb would have stuck any games on BBC2 and ITV2 wasn't even a thing until 1998.

Comment

FWIR, one channel screened a selected tie live and cut in with highlights of the other. Certainly remember that occurring as we all watched Italy/Germany at the pub, bemoaning the fact that all the goals were in the simultaneous Russia/Czech Rep match. (But sure, STV had their own match the day before while we were handing the Dutch their backsides on a plate.)

To the best of my knowledge, there was no simultaneous BBC/ITV coverage until the semi-finals.

Extensive broadcast details here:

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/WorldCup90.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        FWIR, one channel screened a selected tie live and cut in with highlights of the other. Certainly remember that occurring as we all watched Italy/Germany at the pub, bemoaning the fact that all the goals were in the simultaneous Russia/Czech Rep match. (But sure, STV had their own match the day before while we were handing the Dutch their backsides on a plate.)

To the best of my knowledge, there was no simultaneous BBC/ITV coverage until the semi-finals.

Extensive broadcast details here:

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/WorldCup90.html
                        Yes, I recall the Czech Republic v Russia match wasn't on live telly, it was just highlights that night. I went to Anfield to see it and it was certainly dramatic, I don't think I have ever seen it in full, since. I watched the Spain v Bulgaria match on ITV hub yesterday as I was at that one too, it wasn't quite as exciting. I definitely prefer a highlights show rather than the full 90 minutes for old football matches, much like the World Cup Rewind or the Big Match revisited type stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

Watched Denmark-Portugal this evening, one of the better, and better attended games of the group stage.
                          I was there on the night. And re-watched it again last weekend. And largely lost interest both times. The fans were more interesting on the night itself. If that was one of the better group stage games it might be as well to avoid any others I'm not rewatching for nostalgic reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post

I was there on the night. And re-watched it again last weekend. And largely lost interest both times. The fans were more interesting on the night itself. If that was one of the better group stage games it might be as well to avoid any others I'm not rewatching for nostalgic reasons.
                            That was the only game I went to and I pretty much felt the same. I was impressed with Portugal's football but it was apparent early on that they had no cutting edge. My main memories from the game was seeing the Danes amusement at Schmeichel being booed by the locals, and a seated swaying thing their supporters on the Leppings Lane end kept doing.

Comment

Working...
                            X