Old Football on Legal Streaming Channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Football on Legal Streaming Channels

I was browsing Amazon Prime in the US yesterday and noticed it had the FIFA films of 1954, 1958, 1962 and 1970, among others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...t_c_UTPsmN_1_1

https://www.amazon.com/Hinein-Offici.../dp/B07F95T8DW

https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Brazil-O.../dp/B07F97DKJ9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...t_c_UTPsmN_1_7

I'm using youtube extensively for this.

Bleacher Report Football has a few full games (including the 2005 and 2011 CL final).

There are a fair number of AC Milan vs Inter (or Juventus) games scattered all over.

NBCSports has a lot edited (15-20 minute) classic matches of various years as well. Just watched one of these from 2007 (Tottenham/Arsenal) which had some real cracking goals, including one from a youngster from Wales with a real future.

A lot of the 'official' channels have a surprising depth of content, tbh. The EPL's goals from each season are pretty excellent.

Comment

There's a channel on Youtube called TJS Sports where someone has been uploading years of their VHS recordings of Match of the Day and local news football highlights, starting at the end of the 80s through to the early 2000s. A real treat and nice to see Des Lynam again.

Edit to say it's TJS Sports not TJ Sports. Here's some highlights from Feyenoord vs Marseille from 1999: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o77SDfUGJk
      Last edited by That Night In Barcelona; 05-04-2020, 20:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        I watched the 1994 one last night. Beautiful 35mm game footage. The narration isn't great and the editing was a bit all over the place, but still worth it. Some great goals in that tournament.

Comment

There's another YouTube channel called 1980s Football Heaven with stacks of old highlights from BBC and ITV over the decade. I've managed to find some Norwich games and other general clips that I once had on VHS but were now lost or wiped.

Not streaming admittedly, but on terrestrial TV, BBC1 repeated some classic domestic and international highlights over the weekend just gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
            There's another YouTube channel called 1980s Football Heaven with stacks of old highlights from BBC and ITV over the decade. I've managed to find some Norwich games and other general clips that I once had on VHS but were now lost or wiped.
            I dip into that one quite often. The channel has programmes (mostly MOTD), not just clips, which makes for enjoyable historical context. The news, interviews, speculation, homilies from Jimmy Hill, etc. Latest edition: 3 points for a win, exciting innovation ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzAcw6xBXzk

Comment

Not streaming admittedly, but on terrestrial TV, BBC1 repeated some classic domestic and international highlights over the weekend just gone.
              That World Cup Rewind show was great - hopefully there'll be further similar compilations. (I have most of this stuff anyway, but always good to see these with the original TV commentaries.)

I'd never seen Cup Glory - a 'World Cup film'-style feature-length review of the 1972 FA Cup competition. (Indeed I didn't even know that it existed until surfing YouTube last weekend.)

Here, for anybody interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTllIpxSrI
              Last edited by Jah Womble; 06-04-2020, 09:29.

Comment

These are all great resources; thanks everyone!

Comment

I'm fairly certain Cup Glory was shown in a Saturday morning ITV slot in the pre-TISWAS era, maybe around 1975, as was Goal, the 1966 FIFA film. The state of the pitches in Cup Glory would be incomprehensible to anyone under 35 who only watches the EPL, I guess. Great footage of Best and Charlton around the 22 minute mark; amazing to think they only had about a year of top-class football left in them.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-04-2020, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    That World Cup Rewind show was great - hopefully there'll be further similar compilations. (I have most of this stuff anyway, but always good to see these with the original TV commentaries.)

I'd never seen Cup Glory - a 'World Cup film'-style feature-length review of the 1972 FA Cup competition. (Indeed I didn't even know that it existed until surfing YouTube last weekend.)

Here, for anybody interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTllIpxSrI
                    Thanks for that Cup Glory tip. It's new to me as well. There's some lovely footage of Ayresome Park in there, and the stuff about Hereford United is great.

Comment

Mon plaisir, m'sieur.

No idea whether any other FA Cup tournaments were filmed in such a way?

Comment

I remember being brought to see Cup Glory in the cinema. Going from grainy Big Match in black and white to seeing colour football on a big screen was mindblowing man. It led to a brief flirtation with Birmingham City, the shirts that they wore in the semi final, red with a wide white vertical band, were cool.

It was filmed for the 100th anniversary of the F.A Cup, I don't think it was done again.

Comment

The 1978 FIFA film is fantastic. Really gives an intimate feeling of what is was like to play in those games. Commentary written by Howard Lanning and Keir Radnedge is very good but has clearly been added later because it references Platini at Juventus, etc).
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-04-2020, 15:10.

Comment

It was nice to see that Tony Morley strike on the opening credits of MotD again.

Comment

The 1978 FIFA film is fantastic. Really gives an intimate feeling of what is was like to play in those games.
                              I have a complete set of FIFA World Cup films - mostly burned from ESPN Classic when that existed.

For me, the best ones are those from 1954 and 1958 - possibly because it's pretty much the only tournament footage that exists. The majority are more than watchable though, even with the sometimes clunky narratives running through them: as suggested on here recently, 1966's Goal is great for the injection of colour and the 1970 vintage has some very nifty match footage.

Comment

Some more great stuff on BBC's World Cup Rewind today. Always a pleasure to see Italy v West Germany from 1970.

This is how to do retro shows. Highlights only, original commentary, no punditry, no talking heads.

Comment

I watched the 1974 FIFA film today. It is really about the final, with very brief clips from group games. It increased my appreciation of the 1974 West German team's ability to peak when playing against teams with better players (Poland and Holland). Cruyff had a meltdown at half-time that led to a yellow card and probably close to a red, so I wonder if he failed in his role as a calming influence on the day, as well as being kept quiet by his marker, Vogts.

The 1978 film is far superior in covering all 16 teams; even Iran and Mexico get a fair shake.

Comment

James Richardson 'Golazzo' edition discussing Spain 82:

https://audioboom.com/posts/7214428-...io-at-spain-82

Comment

Some more great stuff on BBC's World Cup Rewind today. Always a pleasure to see Italy v West Germany from 1970.

This is how to do retro shows. Highlights only, original commentary, no punditry, no talking heads.
                                      Thanks for posting this, Arturo , really enjoying them. Also watching the 1970 semi-final between Italy and, as David Coleman often seems to put it, Western Germany. TIRO INDIRECTO on the on-screen graphics, flowers round the pitch. Marvellous.
                                      Last edited by Furtho; 11-04-2020, 19:32.

Comment

Agree, both of these compilations have been top-drawer so far, yesterday’s in particular. (Coleman’s ‘Western Germany’ amused me as well.) Hopefully more to come.

I watched the 1974 FIFA film today. It is really about the final, with very brief clips from group games. It increased my appreciation of the 1974 West German team's ability to peak when playing against teams with better players (Poland and Holland). Cruyff had a meltdown at half-time that led to a yellow card and probably close to a red, so I wonder if he failed in his role as a calming influence on the day, as well as being kept quiet by his marker, Vogts.

The 1978 film is far superior in covering all 16 teams; even Iran and Mexico get a fair shake.
                                        That 1974 film is arguably the weakest, IMO - the next three or four are far-better conceived.

Comment

Yeah it seems that for 1974 they filmed the final (including before and after footage) and tried to expand from that into a full tournament film without having enough from the games.

The narrator is also abysmal whereas for 1978 they have a quality script.
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-04-2020, 09:21.

Comment

Just started 1982: script Stan Hey, narrator Sean Connery, music Rick Wakeman

9:00 clear penalty for Maradona v Brazil for a trip by Junior (who was a bit crap defensively) denied by the ref

22:00 NZ keeper clearly mouths "fucking crap". NZ coach has a strong resemblance to Steve Bruce. I would dispute the commentary's claim that NZ "have justified their presence."

27:00 Cameroon coach: sweet Jean Vincent

46:00 Italy v Brazil: Serginho misses a sitter.
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-04-2020, 13:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Thanks for posting this, Arturo , really enjoying them. Also watching the 1970 semi-final between Italy and, as David Coleman often seems to put it, Western Germany. TIRO INDIRECTO on the on-screen graphics, flowers round the pitch. Marvellous.
                                              "They're not ten yards, or ten metres as it is here"

Comment

Thanks for alerting me to these, I've watched the 1954 and 1958 versions so far. One thing that struck me about both was the way that the camera angles kept switching, much more so than modern broadcasts, I'm not sure if this is an intentional directorial choice, or if the film from certain cameras was so inconsistent that they couldn't often take a longer shot from one vantage point.

The voice-over for 1954 was pretty terrible, managing to incorrectly identify teams on a highlights package. 1958 was much better from that perspective, but for some reason the games appeared to be attended by jet engines, gently whirring until revved up after certain goals. Presumably this was a feature of poor pitch-side microphones, rather than a Swedish proto-vuvuzela?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  Agree, both of these compilations have been top-drawer so far, yesterday’s in particular. (Coleman’s ‘Western Germany’ amused me as well.) Hopefully more to come.
                                                  The two episodes so far have come out on Sat 4th and Sat 11th, so fingers crossed for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X